No announcement yet.

Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another issue we saw in gymnastics... coaches are full time. This isn?t an ?and? job. Therefore more attendance=more money. They are creating the void of rec leagues vs full commitment. Why teach those who want to learn and compete locally when you can make more money focusing on the all in...

We stopped gymnastics because my daughter was getting bored and the time commitment to move up was too much with her other activities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
      They are probably yelling at you.

dumbass
      Fake. I don't officiate youth sports. Dumbass.
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• That said, and not every kid is the same, but there's something wrong with the system when a kid is good and enjoys but doesn't want to play. It's the best shit there is. I'm over the moon that I've finally found truly good pickup basketball twice a week, becuase I went years without playing regularly, and now it's the highlight of my week. I may even join a friggin softball team. I've lost interest in rock climbing, which has been my main athletic hobby for a long time. There's a joy in team sports you just can't get from that. Maybe when you're froot's kid's age, you just don't value it as much. Can get that kind of action any time, compared to later in life.

Comment

• also.. kids mature at different rates. How many quality gymnasts are lost due to the current process?

I will say sports like soccer, at least here in KC, seem to have less of a void than other sports. My son is on a competitive team, but it's local. Not a rec league, but not a travel team either. He's 7, so there is that... but he has a classmate that travels and we've seen teams as far away as Dallas Texas at some tourney's in KC in his age group. silly..
          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
            Fake. I don't officiate youth sports. Dumbass.
            I meant just for being around...that?s why you?re hearing the shouts of ?Call Animal Control!? and ?Chase it away with fire!? instead of the usual ?Are you blind??

Comment

• Thanks for the clarification man.
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I'm into the 2nd generation of kid sports. My three daughters did dance and music things in HS. Not terribly overwhelming. My son did soccer at a serous level. It was costly and time consuming then...... but not anything like what my kids are dealing with with their kids.

I spend a lot of time with my son and his kids in MI during the football season. When I'm there, I'm the bus driver to give Mom a break. They have twins, a boy and a girl, and a 9yo girl. The girl twin, she's 5, does gymnastics but not seriously..... yet. She also swims but doesn't like to compete. This is good because for 5 she is really good.

The boy twin plays both indoor and outdoor soccer along with flag football. He loves sports ..... in football, he cries when he gets the ball and doesn't score a TD. Teaching moments abound. Funniest thing, he's the QB because he listens to what the coaches tell him and actually does them. The play is a QB keeper. He's a little guy but he's fast; he gets free, bolts to the sideline and just when he's about to get tackled (yeah the boys do more of that than grab for the flag), he lays out for the pylon in the endzone. It was cool but the damn ref called him short ..... he cried. F'ing refs.

My 9yo granddaughter is very good at gymnastics and competes all over the place. She spends 4h in the gym 5d/week and 7h on Sundays. She gets private coaching. She has hardened callouses on her hands. The travel to meets, practice time and cost are astounding. Mom and Dad are trying to get her into diving to decrease injury potential ..... and win scholarships to the Michigan Diving Team. She's also a terrific swimmer and is fearless and a natural on the diving board. Oh, and they all take Tennis lessons!

Crazy shit but all three of them seem to love it. The degree of organization, the household is almost military and needs to be to get everything done, is amazing. Hats off to the parents doing this sort of thing.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• That said, and not every kid is the same, but there's something wrong with the system when a kid is good and enjoys but doesn't want to play. It's the best shit there is. I'm over the moon that I've finally found truly good pickup basketball twice a week, becuase I went years without playing regularly, and now it's the highlight of my week. I may even join a friggin softball team. I've lost interest in rock climbing, which has been my main athletic hobby for a long time. There's a joy in team sports you just can't get from that. Maybe when you're froot's kid's age, you just don't value it as much. Can get that kind of action any time, compared to later in life.
                  Correct. I'm too old, I guess, to play pickup games much, but man did I love playing in my 30s. Having a good Sunday + weeknight game = gold.

My favorite thing I do for my son and his friends is rent out a gym in the offseason every Monday. 2 hrs of open run basketball. I don't do much coaching at all -- mostly just heard cats after the first 30 minutes. But, I make them figure it out with occasional advice. Watching them figure out how to play open run is great. Because it's something they'll do for years and years.

Plus I get to shoot around for awhile while they're running around the bleachers, taking selfies or doing anything other than basketball for 15 minutes in between games. FWIW, I can still break 10-yr old ankles and pull up from 8 and drain it...at least 30% of the time!
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The one sport I really need both my son and daughter to pick up is golf. In particular my daughter. Chick golf schollies abound. Their grandma golfs all the time and wants to teach them. I may start paying them to go -- view it is a longshot start-up type investment.

Comment

• talent ..... are you still cycling outdoors?

I've graduated to indoor spinning. With people driving paying no attention whatsoever while doing that, texting, eating putting on make-up or talking on the phone, it's gotten too dangerous and I'm not an off-roader. Fall potential is too high.

I've found ways to compete with myself - it's kinda fun and keeps the belly fat at bay.
                      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• back to the bad beat subject

peyton manning screwed me out of 3 or 4hundred couple years back in a superbowl last play of the game got a cheap td to lose the over under and 3 or 4 hundred bucks in talents football contest
                        Last edited by crashcourse; November 17, 2017, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• talent ..... are you still cycling outdoors?

I've graduated to indoor spinning. With people driving paying no attention whatsoever while doing that, texting, eating putting on make-up or talking on the phone, it's gotten too dangerous and I'm not an off-roader. Fall potential is too high.

I've found ways to compete with myself - it's kinda fun and keeps the belly fat at bay.
                          I am. After 5 years of almost non-stop running/cycling, I more or less took September and October off. It was helped by having my weekends generally fucked with kids' sports. Put on 10 pounds!

Since it's cold, I run way more and do my indoor trainer. But, I'll still go out on the weekends if it's bearable (35 with light wind; 40 with more wind). I still love being on my bike outside, especially in the sticks. It makes me happy. So, I'm not giving that up.

That said, a couple friends I ride were hit this year. Both hit and skips. Both survived, one was mostly ok, the other took some fairly serious injuries -- i.e., broken face and shit. So, it happens. I can sort of understand retiring to the trainer, especially if you don't have nice, open, low traffic roads around.

Comment

• True about golf.

Comment

• To keep my interest level up - you can burn out on indoor spinning fast - I've tried a couple studios that have maybe 10-15 bikes that are all hooked up to 60 inch screens in the front of the room. Each biker's watts and RPMs are shown on the screen and you move up or down on the screen based on effort in watts.

There's a whole training school of thought for pro-cyclists based on measuring and developing a watt derived threshold call Total Functional Power or TFP - you may have heard of it as there are devices you can affix to your chain drum on a real bike. It can be intense.

I'm still trying to work my way up from the back to the middle of the pack! There's some cyclists in there that can hit 270 watts and hold it for 10 minutes then drop back down to 180 or so and they call that recovery. My TFP is 120 and I recover at 70. I read that the pros in the Tour sustain 200-300 watts for 8h. Holly fuck!

You should try it. Studios like this started in Europe and have started to spring up in bigger cities in the US.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                                The one sport I really need both my son and daughter to pick up is golf. In particular my daughter. Chick golf schollies abound. Their grandma golfs all the time and wants to teach them. I may start paying them to go -- view it is a longshot start-up type investment.
                                Just tell your daughter what I tell mine...go find a rich dude and get off my payroll...3 of 5 have heeded...working on the other two...although the youngest is only 17...may need to move to Alabama to get away with that...
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X