Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point will all you assholes just believe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On a scale of 1-10 my frustration with the Lions rarely gets above a 2 any more. It did a couple years ago when the team kept making bone head mistakes under Schwartz, but even then maybe a 3. I knew they'd stumble this year. My frustration hasn't gone over a 1.5. Stafford has done nothing to suggest he'll ever be elite. Calvin has padded Stafford's stats over the years and I'm not sure how much more that can happen.

Believe? Believe in what? That the Lions have been the worst franchise in all of sports for half a century? I'm 49. I've lived through it. I believe. Sometimes I question my sanity because I still haven't given up hope that some day it might change.

Comment

• Yesterday was humorous. I love the big gain to get a first down, feed it to Bell offense. Play the calliope music.

Comment

• Born in '59, have been following this shit show for as long as I can remember. The first Lions QBs I recall are Landry & Munson splitting time. I've been through the Komlos, Longs, Reeds, Hipples, Mitchells, Harringtons, etc. And now Stafford. A few years ago I had hope the Lions finally had a QB worth a shit. But, I was wrong again. Dude doesn't have "it". Can't move just a bit in the pocket to get a throw off. Telegraphs his intentions. Pads his stats when the game is out of reach. No other team gets to me like the Lions do, not sure why. A couple of my buddies went cold turkey 25 years ago and just said F it, they weren't going to watch 'em. I'm getting close to that point.

Comment

• Well i know one thing, my future son or daughter will not be an Lion.

Comment

• I've already got one foot out the door. I only watched last night because there wasn't a particularly compelling reason not to. The first two weeks, I happily took time and a half during the Lions game rather than watch, only catching up after the fact on DVR.

I'll probably decide not to bother with the DVR about mid-season. I still argue with folks like Froot because the debate is fun and all, but the community here is the only thing really keeping my interest.

Comment

• One foot out the door, you made a public vow to root for them lose in embarrassing fashion. You are getting your wish.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                One foot out the door, you made a public vow to root for them lose in embarrassing fashion. You are getting your wish.
                Yep. It's kinda fun, but only in the aftermath sort of thing. I kinda giggle when I see the final scores, but I don't need to see that happen live anymore.

Comment

• A friend of mine, a true Lions die hard just up and quit on them week 1. He shut off the game in the 4th quarter and just walked away, says he had never shut off a game before. Like something in him just snapped. And this is a football lifer, college player, long time HS coach. Dressed his kids up in Lions gear to send out Football season cards to start the season for a number of years. He just couldnt' take it anymore. (and he's not someone that can see the humor in it).

Comment

• Originally posted by fontes91 View Post
                    On a scale of 1-10 my frustration with the Lions rarely gets above a 2 any more. It did a couple years ago when the team kept making bone head mistakes under Schwartz, but even then maybe a 3. I knew they'd stumble this year. My frustration hasn't gone over a 1.5. Stafford has done nothing to suggest he'll ever be elite. Calvin has padded Stafford's stats over the years and I'm not sure how much more that can happen.

Believe? Believe in what? That the Lions have been the worst franchise in all of sports for half a century? I'm 49. I've lived through it. I believe. Sometimes I question my sanity because I still haven't given up hope that some day it might change.
                    Cleveland browns fans i know will debate with you on that one. Brown fans probably have it worst.

Comment

• Browns fans don't count, that team is an expansion team. And they did have more success with the old team than the Lions have had since '57.

I guess they conflate the misery of being a Cleveland sports fan in general, but the Lions have the Browns beat for futility. Plus they got another team, If the unthinkable happened and the Lions moved to LA, Detroit might not get another team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
                        A friend of mine, a true Lions die hard just up and quit on them week 1. He shut off the game in the 4th quarter and just walked away, says he had never shut off a game before. Like something in him just snapped. And this is a football lifer, college player, long time HS coach. Dressed his kids up in Lions gear to send out Football season cards to start the season for a number of years. He just couldnt' take it anymore. (and he's not someone that can see the humor in it).
                        I'm not far behind him.

All sports really.

Such a waste of time
                        19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                          I've already got one foot out the door. I only watched last night because there wasn't a particularly compelling reason not to.
                          Same. The old me would've been so hyped last night. 0-2 and all. Prime time home opener? Shit the old me would've treated it like the superbowl (because Lord knows they'll never go to a real superbowl). Pre-drinking, game drinking, the whole nine. Last night I cracked a beer, and by the time the first quarter was over I just had the overwhelming feeling of not giving a fuck. And I was kind of tired and amazingly (for me) actually considered going to sleep during the game...and it wasn't even halftime yet. In the past such a thought would be utterly unfathomable. Hell I watched every snap of the 0-16 season with full attention for fuck's sake. I didn't even go back to the fridge for another beer. Had virtually no excitement at all for the game. Not even when the Lions showed glimpses here & there. I mean they were in the game until the end, and yet, I just didn't really give a shit either way.

I've wasted & burned countless hours of my life thinking about this team. Countless Sundays that were completely worked around the game time kickoff of the Lions game. It's getting old. And this isn't some woe is me for being a poor Lions fan post -- it's just the truth, I'm starting not to care anymore. The emotional attachment is going away with each failed season. And maybe that's a good thing.

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                          I'm not far behind him.

All sports really.

Such a waste of time
                          Yep. It really is a complete waste of time. All my friends -- die hard sports fans. Their lives revolve around it. Watching a game with a ball on television. It's so stupid when you think about it. And I'm in no position to judge, because I've been every bit the sports fan they (or any other average sports fanatic across the country) has been. But when you start to notice around you that people place a game as one of the highest priorities in their lives, I see myself and how pathetic that shit is.
                          Last edited by Niffla; September 28, 2015, 03:40 PM.
                          AAL: KhaDarel Hodges

Comment

• this is a honest and true-mail chain from today:

3:39 am

Hey,

Is it to late to get a refund on those Lions tix? I didn't realize how bad they actually were going to be.
                            The only logical explanation is:
                            I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• Niffla,

Yes sir.

I'm embarrassed looking back at all the resources and time I wasted on this stuff. Playing sports is one thing, rooting for grown men that wear (tight) color coordinated outfits, er, uniforms, is indeed pathetic.

My daughter is a big anaheim ducks fan now, so I'll take her to a few games a year (mostly free tix) but beyond that, why TF should I care about all that other stuff?

That's rhetorical, I answered my own question some time ago.
                              Last edited by Panoptes; September 28, 2015, 03:41 PM.
                              19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Originally posted by Newbomb Turk View Post
                                this is a honest and true-mail chain from today:

3:39 am

Hey,

Is it to late to get a refund on those Lions tix? I didn't realize how bad they actually were going to be.
                                hahaha

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                                Playing sports is one thing, rooting for grown men that wear (tight) color coordinated outfits, er, uniforms, is indeed pathetic.
                                lol exactly
                                AAL: KhaDarel Hodges

Comment

Working...
                                X