No announcement yet.

College Football Broadcast Information/Schedule - TV, Streams, Tech Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Football Broadcast Information/Schedule - TV, Streams, Tech Questions

I tried to go back and resurrect a thread like this from the past. Couldn't find it. So, new one.

I streamed the osu/IU game on Watch ESPN Thursday night. It was unwatchable because of buffering issues. I thought my router just wasn't handling the data rates. Nope. Roku? Nope. Is Xfinity delivering what I'm paying for? See below.

Via the Watch ESPN web site I was able to stream the Live Cam without problems (decreased deamnd?).

When I simply used my PC (eliminating the Roku interface) to stream the game from Watch ESPN to my PC, same result. Unwatchable due to buffering. To much demand for the osu/IU game?

Obviously, there are many potential choke points downstream from the web service providing the video in this case ESPN.

I've tested my speeds using speedtest.com. I pay Xfinity for 50+mbps and get it ..... and that's through my router (not a rented router). When I first set up my home network, I did a speed test via ethernet. I could easily get 75mbps by stressing the Boost function. I suspect I could get more if I added more demand ..... at least that's what Xfinity tells us customers. Bottom line, I'm get data rates to my PC and TV via Roku that should easily support streaming. I may be able to tweak my router a bit as I am loosing some speed through that it looks like. But why? I've got plenty.

Today, I'm simultaneously streaming MSU (ESPN) and Iowa (BTN). The buffering on Watch ESPN is still present, just a lot less annoying (less demand?).

The BTN is streaming flawlessly (even though I'm streaming two shows simultaneously through my router to my 2 PCs.) What this is telling me is ESPN (no surprise) is offering less bandwidth than is needed to match demand. Clearly the BTN/FOX is getting the job done (providing sufficient bandwidth for demand). Admittedly probably not a fair comparison given demand for IU/osu versus today's games.

Anyone with similar problems? Thoughts?
    There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

So I didn't realize it 'til today, and maybe it's not supposed to be this way, but I can pull in Big10 Channel games via the Fox Sports app on iOS and AppleTV...without a B10 channel subscription. Maybe thats useful info for somebody else here.
    Atlanta, GA

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
      Anyone with similar problems? Thoughts?
      The main ESPN feed was flaky on both my AppleTV and Roku, I think it as a source issue Jeff.

Some of the alternate feeds were better for me too. Watched the coachs for a little while (Gene Chizik is a buffoon but Helford and Mack Brown with McElroy guiding the conversation was enlightening.)
      Atlanta, GA

Comment

btw, THIS is badass on any big screen.
        Atlanta, GA

Comment

Wow nice.

For someone that just has one TV + two laptops, is watching one game on cable and streaming the way to go? I've looked into the Sling TV thing and $25 per month for streaming ESPN or B10 Network doesn't seem bad. Especially during college football season.
          Once I move, I'll look into a better TV/ Apple TV if you can stream 4 games on one screen. EPIC.
          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

For how long would anyone actually WANT to watch 4 games on one screen?

Comment

It worked well to have 4 games going on Saturday night (oLIEo/OK, Clemson/Auburn etc.), but that was on my 120" screen.

I use the PIP 2 game option on smaller screens.
              Atlanta, GA

Comment

It'd be perfect for the first couple days of March Madness. Like Vegas.
                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Here's what I do ..... and I'm not even sure this is optimal but it works for me:

I have a Mohu Antenna on my roof. It's small and easy to install. The cable from the antenna runs to a distribution box outside my house. I am feeding three of five TVs this way with an Over-The-Air (OTA) signal. The other two TVs have Xfinity SD.

My primary football TV, a 52" Panasonic LED, receives the OTA signal directly to the connector on the TV for cable. My Roku receives wireless internet signal distribution from my router. It then connects to one of the HDMI connection on the v=back of the TD. So, through the input button on the TV remote, I can watch either OTA TV or streamed internet via Roku. I can watch any local OTA signal (I think I receive over 90 of them, some in high quality HD) the BTN and all the ESPN feeds this way.

To stream through Roku or Play Station or XBOX or any of the myriad units you can stream from, you have to have a level of subscription with your cable TV provider that allows you to watch the sports channel you want. This can get tricky a all the cable providers are different.... one size does not fit all. You have to research. If you want to and are authorized to stream over the internet, then you have to sign in with your user name and pass-word for your service provider.

If I had full HD cable and internet service from Xfinity I'd be paying upwards of $260/m for that privilege. My current Xfinity subscription for SD TV (2 TVs) and a mid-grade internet connection is $134/month.

My Xfinity TV is bundled with my internet connection which can push up to about 60Mbps (that Xfinity service is called boost - you can get more but it's costly and unless you game on the internet you don't need it to stream sports). The download speeds do depend on number of users and what the download server is pushing. There are a ton of factors that affect what kind of speed your getting at your cable entry to your house, your router and the endpoint - your computers or TV. Not going there. You also have to have a router that handles high data rates on its input and distribution ends. Not going there either.

When ESPN, and to a certain extent all servers that want you to tune into their data streams for their programming, is working, streaming live sports via Roku (and others ) works pretty well. I tried to watch the Cinicnnati game streaming ESPN. It was terrible, unuseable and it wan't anything in my pipeline. It was that ESPN servers suck and, for that game, got overloaded in a hurry.

I use my computers to stream other games if I'm so inclined but I usually don't have more than one going at a time.
                  There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

To stream through Roku or Play Station or XBOX or any of the myriad units you can stream from, you have to have a level of subscription with your cable TV provider that allows you to watch the sports channel you want. This can get tricky a all the cable providers are different.... one size does not fit all. You have to research. If you want to and are authorized to stream over the internet, then you have to sign in with your user name and pass-word for your service provider.

Actually you do not have to have a cable television package. A Sling, PS Vue or other "skinny over the top bundle" works too.
                    Atlanta, GA

Comment

Understood ..... my wife likes HGTV, DIY Network and The Hallmark Channel. I don't know what sort of machinations I would have to go through to get those channels via a set top box like sling. I'ts easy, but maybe not the least costly, buying the intermediate cable programming and the sports pk. If you bargain with Xfinity, you can usually get HBO or Starz so, there is that.

Comment

Understood ..... my wife likes HGTV, DIY Network and The Hallmark Channel. I don't know what sort of machinations I would have to go through to get those channels via a set top box like sling. I'ts easy, but maybe not the least costly, buying the intermediate cable programming and the sports pk. If you bargain with Xfinity, you can usually get HBO or Starz so, there is that.

Just to clarify, Sling (for example) is a Roku app (and AppleTV, Andoid, iOS etc), not a hardware box itself. More importantly you can authenticate the ESPN app etc. with a Sling subscription)

Also can use the HGTV Roku app etc. Through Sling
                        Last edited by whodean; September 25, 2017, 02:24 PM.
                        Atlanta, GA

Comment

I had sling over the summer is fine for tv shows and movies, not so much for football

Comment

Even Comcast can read the writing on the wall

For months now we have heard that Comcast was planning to take on cord cutting with their own live TV streaming service called Instant TV. Now they have started to roll out their live TV streaming service in a few markets. If you are a Comcast internet only customer you can now subscribe to their […]
                            Atlanta, GA

Comment

Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
                              I had sling over the summer is fine for tv shows and movies, not so much for football
                              Why not for football?
                              "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

Working...
                              X