DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > Detroit Lions

Old June 19th, 2017, 06:06 AM   #3161
Cody_Russell

Here's a Pistons opportunity to acquire Jordan Clarkson, a guy that would truly make minimal impact, by shipping the 12th overall pick:

Lakers looking to add another first-round draft pick, sources say
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...pick-nba-draft

... trying to be more optimistic: maybe Stanley Johnson has a breakout season in year 3. Could the RJ and Drummond combo bounce back? OR the Pistons find a trade partner to relieve RJ's contract. Ellenson looked good at the end of last season. Pistons hit on the 12th overall pick because GS did it multiple times. Donovan Mitchell, Luke Kennard, or Henry Giles. The Eastern Conference is weaker as a whole compared to the Western Conference. Little Caesars Arena, mic drop.
Old June 19th, 2017, 07:19 AM   #3162
froot loops

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemiclord View Post
The Celtics had the #1 seed in the East solely because the Cavaliers didn't care enough.

When it came time for the games to actually matter... let's just say the series went 5 games because Cleveland was so bored by the insignificant challenge Boston posed that they fell asleep in Game 3.

But keep pretending that any other team has a chance in hell. They don't.
True on the Celtics this year, but you're missing the point. They got to the Eastern Conference Finals without tanking. They have assets to make the team better and cap room. They are in a much better spot than a team using the Process. Cleveland is a good team, but they are not some super team.

Your approach seems to be sit on the sidelines with your binky because life is so unfair that the NBA allows super teams. The Pistons problem with Lebron James being in the East is a bridge far off in the distance. They can't even get to the playoffs consistently and they continue to get themselves into trouble by getting saddled with bad conteacts.
froot loops is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old June 19th, 2017, 07:54 AM   #3163
chemiclord

Quote:
Originally Posted by froot loops View Post
True on the Celtics this year, but you're missing the point. They got to the Eastern Conference Finals without tanking. They have assets to make the team better and cap room. They are in a much better spot than a team using the Process. Cleveland is a good team, but they are not some super team.

Your approach seems to be sit on the sidelines with your binky because life is so unfair that the NBA allows super teams. The Pistons problem with Lebron James being in the East is a bridge far off in the distance. They can't even get to the playoffs consistently and they continue to get themselves into trouble by getting saddled with bad conteacts.
My approach is that the Pistons have to get better, and the only way they can do that is through the draft. Since they have no chance in hell of accomplishing anything as they are currently constructed, why not blow it up? Trade whatever pieces you can, let marginal players walk and just ride out the string. Stop trying to squeak into the playoffs just to get curbstomped by the Cavs.
Old June 19th, 2017, 08:38 AM   #3164
froot loops

Your approach is what they are doing, they aren't going to make a big splash in free agency, they will draft 12th. Jackson and Drummond have been on the block and found hardly any takers. The only rumor of note was them getting back Augustin for Jackson.

Maybe they can sign and trade KCP. They are stuck, if you want to be able to trade these assets they need to get better because right now it is a sell low if you can sell at all type of situation.
Old June 19th, 2017, 08:41 AM   #3165
froot loops

And really getting curbstomped by the Cavs is better than finishing 37-45 with half empty buildings during the regular season.
Old June 19th, 2017, 09:38 AM   #3166
chemiclord

Quote:
Your approach is what they are doing, they aren't going to make a big splash in free agency, they will draft 12th. Jackson and Drummond have been on the block and found hardly any takers. The only rumor of note was them getting back Augustin for Jackson.

Maybe they can sign and trade KCP. They are stuck, if you want to be able to trade these assets they need to get better because right now it is a sell low if you can sell at all type of situation.
No, their approach is to try and squeak into the 8 seed. That's the problem, and what is keeping them in NBA Purgatory. Their approach is to give Drummond and Jackson max (or near max) money because that's their best chance at the 8 seed. I would have let both of them walk and let someone else make that mistake.

The Pistons only chance is to tank and by blind luck stumble on that transcendent player. They aren't smart enough to build on the #9-14 pick like Golden State did.
Old June 19th, 2017, 09:45 AM   #3167
Panoptes

Could use the same idea with Lions and let the stat QB go.
Old June 19th, 2017, 09:55 AM   #3168
chemiclord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoptes View Post
Could use the same idea with Lions and let the stat QB go.
Well except for the fact that the Lions don't pull Stafford in the 4th quarter of games because he's a liability.
Old June 19th, 2017, 10:02 AM   #3169
Panoptes

You're correct, that is where useless piled up stats get made.
Old June 19th, 2017, 10:19 AM   #3170
froot loops

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemiclord View Post
No, their approach is to try and squeak into the 8 seed. That's the problem, and what is keeping them in NBA Purgatory. Their approach is to give Drummond and Jackson max (or near max) money because that's their best chance at the 8 seed. I would have let both of them walk and let someone else make that mistake.

The Pistons only chance is to tank and by blind luck stumble on that transcendent player. They aren't smart enough to build on the #9-14 pick like Golden State did.
I'm talking about their approach for this season, the Jackson and Drummond contracts are sunk costs. I didn't hear you talking about letting them walk, in fact there are no posts saying as much. You didn't say signing those extensions doomed them to an 8 seed. If you were that confident, you would have said as much but you didn't.

There were also no posts saying that GSW was building their team the right way, they absolutely lucked in to those guys. There was no grand strategy there. I didn't hear you complain that the Warriors were building a super team. They did have one smart decision in hiring West he stopped the Klay Thompson deal with Cleveland.

Last edited by froot loops; June 19th, 2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:14 AM   #3171
chemiclord

You clearly haven't been paying attention. I've been railing against giving Drummond a max contract for a while.
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:43 AM   #3172
chemiclord

EDIT: With apologies to Froot, he is correct that I apparently did NOT voice those opinions on this forum.
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:43 AM   #3173
froot loops

I have been paying attention and you didn't have one post saying to let him walk. in fact prior to the beginning of the July 1st offseason last year you were calling him a tremendous asset. Any complaint about the max contract prior to the signing was maybe in your head. You have complained about the max contract but it was during this current season. But you were not saying to let him walk.

In fact you were praising the Boban signing as a possible larceny back in July.
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:53 AM   #3174
fontes91

I'd be trying to trade RJ. You might have to take on some other bad contract though. When Ish was starting Drummond and the others were meshing and starting to play well. AD was not happy with RJ's style and be is moody. If AD isn't happy he does not play well. When AD is motivated he can be an all-star.
fontes91 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:56 AM   #3175
chemiclord

Quote:
I have been paying attention and you didn't have one post saying to let him walk. in fact prior to the beginning of the July 1st offseason last year you were calling him a tremendous asset. Any complaint about the max contract prior to the signing was maybe in your head. You have complained about the max contract but it was during this current season. But you were not saying to let him walk.

In fact you were praising the Boban signing as a possible larceny back in July.
Mostly because he could theoretically be Drummond-esque but without the massive liability late in games.

A player like Drummond still has a place in today's game. But not as a max player, especially when you can't be counted on in crunch time. I've never liked the idea of giving Drummond a max deal, and if that was what it took to keep them, then yes, the Pistons should have let him walk.
Old June 19th, 2017, 12:24 PM   #3176
froot loops

Everyone probably had some misgivings about giving Drummond a max deal. So the next question is now what do you do about KCP? He's going to merit a huge contract, if not a max contract.
Old June 19th, 2017, 12:32 PM   #3177
chemiclord

Is he worth a max contract? Is he someone you can build a team around?

The answer to both those questions is "No." Let him walk. Of course, all Gores cares about is squeaking into the playoffs, so he'll pay up.
Old June 19th, 2017, 12:35 PM   #3178
Cody_Russell

Pistons can't afford to sign KCP, unless they give up 1st Round draft picks to unload contracts.
Sometimes, you have to know when to let players walk.
Old June 19th, 2017, 01:30 PM   #3179
guitarjack87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoptes View Post
You're correct, that is where useless piled up stats get made.
Wait did you flip on Stafford again?

useless piled up stats like dragging a talent deficient team to the Playoff with comeback win after comeback win
Old June 19th, 2017, 01:33 PM   #3180
froot loops

I would let him walk but you lose an asset. Easy for chemiclord to pooh pooh getting into the playoffs, but he's not selling tickets. he is an anonymous message board poster.