Lions News

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    Bernie Smilovitz is teasing some Stafford trade rumors that he says have been going on for awhile. He didn't say the team yet.
    It’s probably the Lions putting out misinformation after the good Tua health reports. Hopefully they’re pushing teams to trade up to #2 so we can get Chase
    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Well his report was pretty vague, sources close to the Lions and Stafford say there have been trade talks for a couple weeks. He didn't name the team if he knew, but he mentioned that Kelly Stafford said on Instagram if he was going to get traded she'd like LA.

Comment

Well his report was pretty vague, sources close to the Lions and Stafford say there have been trade talks for a couple weeks. He didn't name the team if he knew, but he mentioned that Kelly Stafford said on Instagram if he was going to get traded she'd like LA.
        They’re driving someone to trade up so we get Chase Young. There’s no way Detroit trades Stafford this year. The cap hit that the Lions would endure (something like 25 mil) would completely wipe out the savings of having a rookie QB contract.

Also Tua won’t be ready for the start of the season anyhow. They’d still need to find a legit QB to run the team and Staffords value is down from missing most of last season.

Im not buying it. If they want to draft Tua or Herbert then keep Stafford to play out next season to let a rook learn instead of all the pressure at once
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Well maybe not, but the important point is one of the sources was from Stafford's camp. We aren't following some Machiavellian team that has the skill to pull off such a smokescreen. People laugh when I mention Smilovitz, he is not normally a breaking news guy but when he does go with something it usually has some merit.

The point about the salary cap hit is only a point for one season. There is also a point to be made that perhaps the rumblings about Stafford not liking Patricia have some merit.

Comment

• I hope they don’t trade Stafford. He was fun as hell to watch until he got injured. Playing his best ball since 2011.

Comment

• Hypothetical: If the Lions win 6 or less games next season with no Stafford + a rookie QB (Tua, Herbert, or Love..), would the Fords keep Quinn and Patricia after 2020?
              I don’t think they would given the statements mentioned in the post season conference. It’s contend for the playoffs or bust in 2020.

This, + Stafford’s contract. + how incredible Stafford looked in 2019. + everything Stafford means to Detroit.
              Trade ain’t happening.
              AAL 2018 - Teez Tabor

Comment

• Who the hell knows with the Fords? You’d think if they agree on trading Stafford that they are signing up for the long haul rebuild with Quintricia. They saw what this team is like without Stafford. They can’t be entirely dumb.

Then again, they bought the Quintricia foundational improvement bit hook, line and sinker, so maybe they would buy it that they can win immediately with a rookie QB.

Comment

• I don't see a Statford trade in the works. In the simplest terms. Statford makes bank for the lions. His swag sells, he puts butts in the seats and sells pickups.

What more would the Fords want?
                  Detroit Lions: Where futility is a lifestyle choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post
                    I hope they don’t trade Stafford. He was fun as hell to watch until he got injured. Playing his best ball since 2011.
                    Agreed. He was balling under Bevell but I’d love to see him in New England.
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

People laugh when I mention Smilovitz, he is not normally a breaking news guy but when he does go with something it usually has some merit.
                      I wasn’t laughing at Bernie breaking the news, I was surprised that dude is still around.

It wouldnt be tough to leak news or ask Staffords wife to say she wouldn’t mind LA on social media. I hope the Lions somehow get Chase Young
                      F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• The Fords don't meddle until they do, this is something they would meddle on. Also something to think about, when they sat Stafford it was fishy. He didn't want it and they bizarrely kept him on the roster even thought they weren't going to play him out of respect.

Comment

• I'm not really softening on a Stafford trade...…but if there was a year to do it, this is probably it.

If some team (Chargers probably) was willing to offer a king's ransom and willing to do it before the start of FA......there are a lot of viable QB options on the market in FA.

What's really problematic is that the Lions only save around 8 million to make the move....and any QB they pick up (save a rookie) would be more expensive than that (you're cutting into FA budget). So this move would be a move for the future...….and if they shit the bed next year, Patty/Quinn might get another year because of the built-in excuse.

The positives (at least in the short term) of a Stafford trade are very few...….so it would have to be a powerful return in order to justify doing it.

Comment

• Bob Quinn calls Matthew Stafford trade talk report false

Posted by Josh Alper on February 13, 2020, 7:01 AM EST

Getty Images

A report surfaced on Thursday morning that the Lions have been talking to teams about a trade of quarterback Matthew Stafford and it didn’t take long for the team to respond to that report.

The response to the report, which stated the team has been having talks for weeks, was a denial from General Manager Bob Quinn.

“100% False!!” Quinn wrote in a text message to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press.

The initial report drew a response from Stafford’s wife Kelly on Instagram musing about other destinations “if Detroit is done with us.” It doesn’t appear that is the case given Quinn’s message on Thursday and the message from ownership in December that the team isn’t making major changes ahead of a 2020 season that carries expectations of improved play.

Stafford was thought to be part of those expectations as he played well last season before fractured bones in his back forced him to miss the second half of the season. Moving Stafford would also result in a bigger cap hit than keeping him, which may be another reason why any thoughts of a trade may not be on the front burner in Detroit.
                            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Lions, Matthew Stafford likely became pawns in the looming quarterback chaos

Posted by Mike Florio on February 13, 2020, 9:57 AM EST

Getty Images

Chaos is coming when it comes to NFL quarterbacks. In some ways, chaos already has begun.
                              The out-of-the-Honolulu-Blue report from WDIV-TV in Detroit that the Lions are engaged in trade talks regarding quarterback Matthew Stafford likely comes from the pre-pre-pre-free agency efforts of agents who represent other quarterbacks to line up deals for their own clients by scaring away other agents who represent other quarterbacks from potential landing spots.
                              By, for example, spreading the word that a team like the Chargers or Colts or Buccaneers will be trading for Stafford, the agent can then (in theory) work on getting a deal done for his or her own client with one of those teams while other agents may steer clear.
                              It goes like this: Agent John Doe wants to
                              get his client Joe Turdball (a potential future Hall of Famer, as discussed in a recent edition of PFT Live) signed by the Buccaneers. Other agents representing Turdball’s peers want their own clients to be signed by the Buccaneers. If John Doe can make those other agents think that the Buccaneers may trade for Matthew Stafford, the other agents may waver just enough to allow a preliminary deal to get done between the Bucs and Mr. Turdball.
                              It’s an incredibly low-tech approach, and it likely won’t do much to get agents to double-clutch. But that’s what agents are doing, we’re told, as an unprecedented number of quarterbacks become available in free agency or otherwise.
                              To be clear, I’m not reporting that Bernie Smilovitz of WDIV-TV fell victim to this dynamic. But I am reporting that the Lions definitely aren’t engaged in trade talks regarding Stafford, that agents definitely are stirring up rumors like this (Tom Brady is the other major pawn in this process), and that it doesn’t take a tremendous amount of brain power to connect the dots.
                              And the broader point continues to be this: Agents and teams are going to be working hard to know well before free agency begins where quarterbacks are going to be. The tampering in this regard won’t become rampant. It already is
                              Last edited by Nick Pappageorgio; February 13th, 2020, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• I think it would be incredibly foolish to trust Quinn's denial.

Comment

Working...
                                X