No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He won't get better but these clowns paid 9.5 a year for a slot corner that was dog shit on the outside. If you paid Slay 15 million a year and his play was diminsihed it would be a bargain compared to Justin Coleman. Yeah I know Justin Coleman knows the Patriot way. Coleman played like he was swimming in soup. A colossal bust for Quinn.

If you are always playing the value game you better damn we'll be able to draft and find diamond in the rough. This franchise hasn't shown the slightest aptitude for that. You will never, ever reach the critical mass needed to contend but you can always sooth yourself by saying so and so wasn't worth it.. it is just like Diggs, they replaced him with a dogshit safety in Will Harris, but that dogshit is cheap. Harris looked like he was playing on roller skates.

Comment

• But they really like Will Harris, Froot. They were surprised he was still available when they took him.

Comment

• Yep that's right Main, they were overjoyed they could secure a subpar player in the 3rd round. It saved them the task of finding a better street free agent from the AAF. I had to laugh when JG Spartan was saying Diggs was getting paid too much to be a backup. Backup to whom? Every day Pete Carroll couldn't believe his luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
          Well, he is pushing 30 and wants the biggest CB deal ever. He’s not going to get better.
          I don’t want to lose Slay and create another hole but this pretty much sums it up.
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• ”He won't get better but these clowns paid 9.5 a year for a slot corner that was dog shit on the outside.”

Ya, typically slot corners excel in the slot.

Comment

• He'll never play slot when you can't field any true corners. They already had one hole at corner, trading Slay will create two. If you can only play slot and are.true dogshit when you play outside, you aren't worth 9.5 million dollars Chief.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                He'll never play slot when you can't field any true corners. They already had one hole at corner, trading Slay will create two. If you can only play slot and are.true dogshit when you play outside, you aren't worth 9.5 million dollars Chief.
                Does it really matter when there’s zero pass rush?
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Opposing offense should just keep running the same play.

”WRs just go run in circles while the QB waits for you to get open because there’s never any rush”
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Forsh View Post
                    Slay is almost certainly not going to live up to his next contract. It's a tough decision and depends what they can get
                    True. Let's extend that to everyone. I can think of at least 30 players you can say that about. The difference is Slay's bad day is better then those scrubs best of the best days.

I said it before and I'll keep saying it, stop over paying JAGS and then paying your best players is no problem. Lions reward mediocrity. If you're great? No.

Loops said it right:

If you are always playing the value game you better damn we'll be able to draft and find diamond in the rough. This franchise hasn't shown the slightest aptitude for that. You will never, ever reach the critical mass needed to contend but you can always sooth yourself by saying so and so wasn't worth it..
                    Truer words have never been said on this forum. The moment someone says 3-4-5 year plan and gradual building, know this: they are full of dog crap. By time you hit year 3 you have to start making decisions on re-signing those guys and if they aren't already playing at a high rate the club will get rid of them and start all over. The Lions continually do this and the excusers buy into it hook line and sinker. Like the money is coming out of their own pockets.

Then they double it up and give guys who has not did a dam thing for this team a boatload of money. Maybe not top money. But much more then they should. I'm looking at you Coleman, James and Daniels. For varying reasons none of them "lived up to their next contract" either. Slay being overpaid $5 mil is much better then Coleman being overpaid $5 mil. Or James being paid anything.

On good teams you can find players that are over paid. They find a way to keep the players that play the best and replace the ones that don't.

A lot of people state some crazy reasons why this franchise has floundered between an absolute clown show and playoff fodder for the last 60 years. You couple them never getting that critical mass and the Owner's lazy acertion to not want to start over and this is what you get.

2 years is what you get. After that it starts to fall apart. Quintricia should thank Millen and Moronelli everyday. That's the only thing keeping people from declaring them the worst GM and Coach in Lions history.
                    Last edited by Futureshock; February 18th, 2020, 09:03 AM.
                    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• It is more of a simple proposition to scrap everything and start over, an easier concept for fans to grasp. When the Lions sell that, the fans gobble it up. But the NFL isn't like the NBA, the NBA you can try the process and hope you land a couple superstars. In the NFL you bottom out and you get a quarterback with a shit roster. If you have a weak front office after awhile it is the quarterback's fault that the weak front office can amass enough front line players.

Trading Slay is OK if you get enough in return and then you have to convert those picks into something. The Lions as an organization have been bad at finding corners. Think of how long you have watched the Lions and make a list of how many corners they have had that were worth anything. It is a short list. In this milennium it has been Dre Bly and Slay with nobody else worth a crap.

Futureshock brings up the Jessie James signing, the whole offseason cracks me up. It was a wild overreaction to how bad the TE position was in 2018. To remedy his error in the 2018 offseason, Quinn spent big on James, brought in Logan Thomas as a free agent, drafted Hockenson and Nauta. You use a lot of multiple tight end sets when you have a great running game and a quarterback who can't throw deep. That is way too many tight ends to be utilized. They waived both Thomas and Nauta and James was redundant. If you sign Jessie James drafting Hockenson is always going to be a head scratcher because they fill the same role. The mistake was compounded by the fact that they brought in a competent offensive coordinator that decided they should utilize Matt Stafford's tremendous arm talent.

Comment

• Richard Sherman: Darius Slay one of the best in the game

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 18, 2020, 5:56 AM EST

Getty Images

The Lions have a cornerback they don’t appear interested in paying, and may trade.

And if another team gets Darius Slay, they’ll be getting one of the best in the league, according to Richard Sherman.

Via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, the 49ers veteran cornerback said that Slay doesn’t get the respect he deserves because he’s on a perpetually struggling team.

Slay doesn’t get enough credit and that’s, once again, the market he’s in and sometimes the team doesn’t have a lot of success,” Sherman said. “But he’s one of the quickest, most athletic cornerbacks in our game. Outstanding ball skills. I think over the last five or six years, he has the most pass breakups and interceptions.

“He’s a ball hawk, man. He’s a ball-hawking guy and I have the utmost respect for his game and I enjoy watching him play.”

Sherman said he watches tape of other cornerbacks ever year, and put Slay among the short list of top cover men in the league, along with Stephon Gilmore, Tre’Davious White, Jalen Ramsey, A.J. Bouye, Chris Harris and Xavien Howard.

The two have exchanged jerseys in the past (including after a playoff game), and Sherman has invited Slay to his cornerback summit he hosted at Stanford in 2018.

The Lions are currently struggling with whether (and how) to pay Slay, as he’s entering the final year of his deal and is underpaid at $10 million. He just turned 29, so should have several prime years ahead of him, but they’ve not been able to get a deal done. Last year, when talks soured, he skipped offseason workouts and mandatory minicamp, but still made his third straight Pro Bowl.

They’ve spoken to other teams about a deal (including Denver in the past), and may be ready to move him.

It’s hard to tell how that makes them better — thus making it harder for any other good Lions player to get the credit he deserves either.
                        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Broncos tried to trade for Darius Slay last year, may try again

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 17, 2020, 2:38 PM EST

Getty Images

Today’s news that the Lions are talking about trading cornerback Darius Slay has led to some early speculation about where he’ll land, and the Broncos are near the top of the list.

The Broncos previously talked with the Lions about trading for Slay, as Mike Klis of 9 News in Denver reported in December and reiterated today.

In the discussions that took place last season, the idea was to trade Slay to the Broncos for cornerback Chris Harris, but the Lions also wanted a high draft pick from the Broncos in the deal, and the Broncos didn’t want to do that, so the deal didn’t come close to fruition.

Harris is set to become a free agent in a month, so he may leave Denver anyway. The Broncos may see Slay as the man to replace him, although this time they’ll have to make a better offer to the Lions.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A fith rounder should get BQ to jump.

Comment

• In a must win season, the Lions FO is discussing trading their best Offensive and Defensive players in Stafford and Slay. Comical....

Comment

• The Lions really don't believe in must win seasons, they may pay lip service to it but that is the extent of it. They always want to stick it to the media and fans that they are the smartest guys in the room.

Comment

• So.... They don't trade him last season because they reportedly wanted 2 1sts. Do they think they're gonna get that?

These guys are as delusional as Millen. Maybe more.

Comment

Working...
                                X