No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wojo: Given last couple years, Lions’ Stafford uniquely equipped to handle uncertainty

Bob Wojnowski

“Playing through it two years ago was not fun, and last year, having it end early for me, was really tough,” Stafford said. “It has been a long time since I wasn’t allowed — wasn’t able to go out there and play.”

Hmmmmm...
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Lions in no hurry to reopen facilities

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 20, 2020, 4:26 AM EDT

Getty Images

Some NFL teams are beginning to reopen their facilities, but the Lions are taking a cautious approach.

Lions coach Matt Patricia said that even if the league and the local authorities give the team the go-ahead to open, it will be a slow process for the Lions do so.

“First and foremost we’re going to try to do everything possible to make sure we’re keeping everybody safe,” Patricia said on WJR, via the Detroit Free Press. “Our facility is just kind of going to stay in operation the way it is right now. . . . Some of the things we’ve been working on is the virtual meetings, and with the coaches not being able to go in from our standpoint and the phase that we’re in right now in the offseason program, we’re going to stand pat with what we’re doing for the next couple weeks and wait to kind of see what happens here.”

Patricia said he’s optimistic that players rehabbing injuries will be able to work with the team’s medical staff reasonably soon, but he doesn’t see himself calling all 90 players on the roster into a big team meeting for quite a while.

“But there’s just a lot of guidelines that go along with that as far as how many people in the hallway, how many people in a room, how far apart we have to be. And some of those guidelines and restrictions are real difficult for to operate within, as opposed to kind of the current setup we already have,” Patricia said. “For us to go into a building and not to be able to have a meeting where we’re all in the same room and basically do a Zoom call from our offices doesn’t really make sense from that standpoint.”
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Matt Patricia not making a big deal over who starts at running back

Posted by Josh Alper on May 21, 2020, 9:17 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Lions took running back D'Andre Swift at the top of the second round of this year’s draft in a move that led to questions about whether he or Kerryon Johnson will be the starting back in Detroit.

Head coach Matt Patricia isn’t making aa big deal about it, though. During an appearance on The Rich Eisen Show, Patricia indicated that he has plans for both backs that should render irrelevant the question of which one is on the field for the first play of the game.

“For me, we’re going to try to play whoever is going to help us in that particular play, that particular game, whatever it might be,” Patricia said, via the Detroit Free Press. “If you’re out there for the very first play, or you get out there on the second play, I don’t really understand what the difference is in a starter in that case. But, certainly, we’re excited to be able to acquire Swift and get him on our team and seeing what he can do. Sometimes you put two or three running backs out there. We will see what happens.”

Johnson averaged 5.4 yards per carry as a rookie in 2018, but missed six games due to injury. He missed eight games last year and saw his average run drop to 3.6 yards for a performance that might have helped open the door for Swift’s arrival in Detroit.

Comment

• Shame Caldwell isn't still here really.

He was practicing social distancing in goal line running situations when the other team had the ball at the 1 before it was even a thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post
            Shame Caldwell isn't still here really.

He was practicing social distancing in goal line running situations when the other team had the ball at the 1 before it was even a thing.
            That’s fantastic!

although I’m sad to say that I actually miss Caldwell. I wish they would have brought someone like Bevell in sooner and maybe they would have had something
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• DT Mike Daniels expresses interest in reunions with Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers

Mike Daniels remains open for a reunion with the Detroit Lions, but he's also leaving out some milk and cookies for the Green Bay Packers.
              30h ago
              By Benjamin Raven | braven@mlive.com

Comment

• Sounds like a guy who wants to sign a contract and go on with life. Lions can sign him back and I'd be ok with it
                WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Originally posted by Forsh View Post
                  Sounds like a guy who wants to sign a contract and go on with life. Lions can sign him back and I'd be ok with it
                  I'd be okay with another contract for Daniels.
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forsh View Post
                    Sounds like a guy who wants to sign a contract and go on with life. Lions can sign him back and I'd be ok with it
                    Yep. a heavy incentive make good deal.
                    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Matthew Stafford: We want to be a great offense

Posted by Charean Williams on May 25, 2020, 5:58 PM EDT

Getty Images

Matthew Stafford ranked second in the NFL in touchdowns (19), fourth in passing yards (2,499) and fifth in passer rating (106.0) before a Week Nine back injury prematurely ended his season.

It was the Lions quarterback’s first year in Darrell Bevell’s offense.

Now back to health, and with a year in the offense, Stafford expects bigger and better things from himself and the offense this season.

“We want to be a great offense, and the first step to it is making sure everyone is on the same page, pulling in the same direction,” Stafford said, via Tim Twentyman of the team website. “I think we’ve got that. Hopefully, we can continue to grow and get better in year two.”

The Lions have receivers Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones, Danny Amendola and tight end T.J. Hockenson back this season. Rookie D'Andre Swift has joined the running backs room with Kerryon Johnson.

Stafford, 32, is heading into his 12th season and his second with Bevell. That experience, Stafford said, should help the Lions given COVID-19’s impact on the offseason program.

“It doesn’t hurt to be in a second year of an offense and not try to learn something new and try to be a rookie quarterback or second-year guy coming in,” Stafford said. “Definitely, I feel like it’s a positive for us as a team and for myself. When I get out there and throw with those guys, when I get chances to work with them, I feel like I can teach them as good as our coaches can on what we’re looking for and what they need to do. That’s an advantage for us. Now let’s just hope that shows up on Sundays.”

Stafford faces pressure in 2020 to actually do what he hopes to do.

Comment

• Film review: Scouting new Lions cornerback Desmond Trufant

For his career, new Lions cornerback Desmond Trufant has started 97 games, recording 13 interceptions and defending 79 passes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                          Matthew Stafford: We want to be a great offense

Posted by Charean Williams on May 25, 2020, 5:58 PM EDT

Getty Images

Matthew Stafford ranked second in the NFL in touchdowns (19), fourth in passing yards (2,499) and fifth in passer rating (106.0) before a Week Nine back injury prematurely ended his season.

It was the Lions quarterback’s first year in Darrell Bevell’s offense.

Now back to health, and with a year in the offense, Stafford expects bigger and better things from himself and the offense this season.

“We want to be a great offense, and the first step to it is making sure everyone is on the same page, pulling in the same direction,” Stafford said, via Tim Twentyman of the team website. “I think we’ve got that. Hopefully, we can continue to grow and get better in year two.”

The Lions have receivers Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones, Danny Amendola and tight end T.J. Hockenson back this season. Rookie D'Andre Swift has joined the running backs room with Kerryon Johnson.

Stafford, 32, is heading into his 12th season and his second with Bevell. That experience, Stafford said, should help the Lions given COVID-19’s impact on the offseason program.

“It doesn’t hurt to be in a second year of an offense and not try to learn something new and try to be a rookie quarterback or second-year guy coming in,” Stafford said. “Definitely, I feel like it’s a positive for us as a team and for myself. When I get out there and throw with those guys, when I get chances to work with them, I feel like I can teach them as good as our coaches can on what we’re looking for and what they need to do. That’s an advantage for us. Now let’s just hope that shows up on Sundays.”

Stafford faces pressure in 2020 to actually do what he hopes to do.
                          Pressure from who? They didn't draft a QB this year.

Dog's must rule because the Lions suck!

Comment

• Why switching Detroit Lions CB Jamal Agnew to WR this fall makes sense
                            Dave Birkett, Detroit Free Press Published 3:32 p.m. ET May 26, 2020 | Updated 3:48 p.m. ET May 26, 2020

Jamal Agnew has done a little bit of everything in his NFL career.

He has been the Detroit Lions' regular kick and punt returner since he entered the league in 2017. He has seen time as a gadget running back and offensive weapon. He has played some as a backup cornerback and on special teams.

And when training camp opens this summer, the Lions hope to make him a wide receiver full time.

Peter King dropped an interesting nugget in his weekly Football Morning in America column Monday, when he wrote that Agnew, the Lions' fourth-year cornerback and return man, took part in a virtual wide receiver position meeting that King was given access to.

Agnew has been attending virtual meetings with both the wide receivers and cornerbacks this spring, but the Lions plan to transition him exclusively to offense when they return to the field this summer.

The move actually started late last season, when Agnew, who saw spot duty on offense in his first two NFL seasons, sat in on wide receiver meetings after late-season injuries to Marvin Jones and Marvin Hall left the Lions short-handed at the position.

Agnew played 16 total offensive snaps last season, including 10 in the Week 17 loss to the Green Bay Packers, and the Lions approached him about making the conversion full time this spring.

Though the Lions return their top four receivers in Kenny Golladay, Danny Amendola, Jones and Hall, and spent a fifth-round pick on Quintez Cephus in the draft, it makes sense to give Agnew more of an opportunity on offense, considering the makeup of the roster, the uncertainty of what's ahead and his ability with the ball in his hands.

Agnew likely will be on the roster bubble entering training camp, and that would be the case no matter what he calls his primary position.

He has excelled as a return man in his career, but will have to compete with rookie running back Jason Huntley for the punt- and kick-return jobs, and he has yet to find substantial playing time on defense in two years under coach Matt Patricia. Last year, he played just 21 snaps on defense.

The Lions have logjams at backup spots at both the wide receiver and cornerback positions.

Jeff Okudah, Desmond Trufant and Justin Coleman are penciled in as starting corners for 2020, with Amani Oruwariye, Darryl Roberts and Tony McRae among the top backups. At receiver, Golladay, Jones, Amendola and Cephus should be locks for jobs, while Agnew will compete with veterans like Hall, Geremy Davis and Geronimo Allison for the final one or two spots.

Agnew has four carries for 35 yards rushing and three catches for 16 yards in his career, all on shovel passes or bubble screens. He has never played receiver full time, even in high school, but he has shown plenty of playmaking ability as a return man, scoring four touchdowns.

One more thing that could work in Agnew's favor when it comes to a position change: his versatility.

The Lions value that trait in players and could embrace it even more this season, given concerns about the coronavirus pandemic, when a positive test for COVID-19 could sideline players for weeks at a time.

If Agnew proves a capable receiver, he could be an emergency player in the secondary or at multiple spots on offense, which might help him earn a roster spot.

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett. Read more on the Detroit Lions and sign up for our Lions newsletter.
                            Dogs rule.

Comment

• Lions, Panthers have received preseason proposals from The Greenbrier

Posted by Mike Florio on May 26, 2020, 9:05 PM EDT

Getty Images

Another NFL team could be coming to West Virginia later this year.

Per multiple sources, the Detroit Lions and Carolina Panthers have received proposals from The Greenbrier resort for 2020 training camp. The realities of the pandemic are prompting some teams to look elsewhere for training-camp locations.

As one source explained it, the Panthers are considering a relocation in and around the scheduled arrival of the Republican National Convention in Charlotte, in late August. So, in theory, the Lions (or some other team) could conduct camp at The Greenbrier and the Panthers could follow the Lions (or some other team) for sessions late in the preseason preparation process.

The Saints trained at The Greenbrier from 2014 through 2016. The Texans spent 2017 and 2018 there.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                                Why switching Detroit Lions CB Jamal Agnew to WR this fall makes sense
                                Dave Birkett...
                                Lions moving Jamal Agnew from cornerback to receiver

Posted by Charean Williams on May 26, 2020, 5:57 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Lions are trying to turn Jamal Agnew into a full-time receiver.

Peter King broke the news in his weekly Football Morning in America column Monday after the Lions allowed him access to a virtual receivers meeting. Agnew was on the video call.

Agnew has played 30 offensive snaps in his career, mostly as a gadget running back and offensive weapon, 207 snaps at cornerback and 441 as a returner and core special teams player.

Agnew has participated in both the receivers and cornerbacks’ meetings this spring, Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports. But the Lions’ plan to use Agnew exclusively at receiver this season.

The groundwork for the move began late last season when Agnew sat in on receiver meetings after injuries to Marvin Jones and Marvin Hall. Agnew played 10 offensive snaps in Week 17.

The Lions talked to him this spring about becoming a full-time receiver.

Agnew has proved dynamic with the ball in his hands, taking three punts and a kickoff for touchdowns in his career. He has a career average of 11.3 yards on 60 punt returns and a 24.1-yards average on 36 kickoff returns.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

IF he can make that switch and we have Hall, Huntley and Agnew blowing the top off defenses, it should make life a lot easier for the TEs.

Comment

Working...
                                X