X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -Deborah-
    started a topic Lions News

Lions News

This thread is for discussing news related to the Lions. For political discussion, check out the Politics Forum. If you'd like to continue the personal attacks/insults, feel free to do so here.

The most recent topic being discussed is the article saying that Patricia is losing his team by making them run. Feel free to continue this discussion or bring up another Lions-related topic.

• ghandi
    replied
    Just the thought of being the Lions head coach can Lionize someone now.......

Leave a comment:

• LightninBoy
    replied
    I find it more than a little ironic that that article was written the week before the Eagles hung 41 points on Patricia's defense in the SB.

Patricia was the first coach to be Lionized before even coaching the team.

Leave a comment:

• jaadam4
    replied
    Its stupid to do the same exact shit. Quinn's drafts have been terrible and Patricia is riding BB schemes.

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/29/bill-belichick-new-england-patriots-dynasty-defense

It’s not just the numbers; the Patriots on film look very “bend-don’t-break.” They play a lot of straight man coverage, often with one safety deep and the other robbing over the middle. They blitz rarely, even though some NFL coaches believe that coordinator Matt Patricia is the only defensive play-caller who truly understands every opponent’s pass protection rules. Their D-line does little stunting and slanting after the snap, and even presnap disguises can be few and far between. When the Patriots do get aggressive is usually when the offense approaches scoring range. That’s the “don’t break” part.

When you’re schematically voluminous, players’ versatility and IQ trumps athleticism. When you’re schematically straightforward, and especially out of man coverage—like the recent Patriots—athleticism is crucial. That’s why every regular contributor in New England’s secondary was drafted in the second round or higher (save for safety Duron Harmon, who was taken in the third, and Malcolm Butler, who was undrafted and later emerged as a No. 1 corner).

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    Like all old Patriot coaches he is getting high on his old supply. The Patriots like to flatter themselves that they are getting results with no-name players but in reality they have always had studs on both sides of the ball.

Leave a comment:

• Mainevent
    replied
    You can in some cases negate speed with physical play, a good game plan and everybody being on the same page. Disciplined run defenses can bottle up speed before it gets going, a pocket collapsing pass rush can keep a passing attack on it's heels. But you also still need really good players that are going to win one-on-one match ups. You can't be predictable. And you actually need to make some game changing plays on defense and get off the field on 3rd down. And even then, all it can take is a play or two for all of that effort to go away (see the Super Bowl).

Patricia's defense seems very much designed to not fuck up and give up big plays, but it's terrible at pressuring other teams into making mistakes. He certainly does not offer any sort of tactical advantage that makes less talented players more than the sum of their parts like NE often did. Maybe if they get that infusion of one or two playmakers, they can turn it around. But it's almost like this he wants a bunch of no-names that he can mold an prove how smart he is.

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    Originally posted by The King View Post
    We just signed another ex-Pat going on 30. No, this isn’t Groundhog Day.
    That's gold Jerry! Gold!

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    Originally posted by Forsh View Post
    Of course speed kills ... no doubt about that. I'm thinking it matters more on defense than offense tho if I had to pick
    In most NFL games speed differential between teams isn't all that noticeable except when watching the Patricia-coached Lions. They never look fast and in the beginning of 2018 they appeared two be two steps slower than the opponents.

Quinn and Patricia were in New England for all those years and they learned all the wrong lessons.

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
    They say the Jags are asking for a 1st for Ngakoue. That’s retarded considering the money they’ll have to pay up.
    Yeah. Hard pass.

Report: Jaguars asking for first-rounder and more for Yannick Ngakoue

Posted by Charean Williams on April 2, 2020, 3:24 PM EDT

Getty Images

Yannick Ngakoue has made it clear he wants out of Jacksonville. The Jaguars are looking to trade him. Multiple teams are interested in him.

Yet, a report from two weeks ago indicated there was no movement on a deal.

The reason? It’s going to be expensive in compensation both in a new deal for the pass rusher and in draft choice(s) in return for Ngakoue.

Jordan Raanan of ESPN reports that the Jaguars are beginning discussions for Ngakoue at a first-round pick and more.

The Jaguars’ patience in waiting for the right deal for Jalen Ramsey paid off, with the Rams giving up two first-round picks and a fourth-round choice.

Ngakoue already has said he won’t sign a long-term deal with the Jaguars and wants to continue his career elsewhere. The Jaguars are expected to give him what he wants but not at just any price.

Leave a comment:

• jaadam4
    replied
    Originally posted by JGSpartan View Post

Wrong Jaguar imo. I am thinking Fournette could probably be had for a low pick. Not sure how that 5th year option works with a trade though
    I’d take Fournette in a heartbeat although I’d prefer one of the top RBs in the upcoming class in the 2nd round.

Leave a comment:

• jaadam4
    replied
    They say the Jags are asking for a 1st for Ngakoue. That’s retarded considering the money they’ll have to pay up.

Leave a comment:

• Mainevent
    replied
    I wouldn't trade anything for Fournette. Never been a fan.

If you're trading for Ngakoue, you have to be ready to pay him a Trey Flowers level contract. I would guess that would give the Lions the highest paid pair of DEs in the league by far. I don't see that happening.

Draft a young pass rusher.

Leave a comment:

• JGSpartan
    replied
    Wrong Jaguar imo. I am thinking Fournette could probably be had for a low pick. Not sure how that 5th year option works with a trade though

Leave a comment:

• Forsh
    replied
    Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

I wish you were making the picks
    Oh thanks ... I wish you were Haha

Leave a comment:

Working...
X