X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dpatnod
    replied
    Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
    I think the majority of energy producing plants are natural gas at this point rather than coal.

Which isn't much better, but the fact remains that coal is dying as a fuel source, and why West Virginia is in such a state. They're going to have to change to survive, because it's not "green activism" that's killing coal; it's the same free markets that they claim to love oh so very much.

EDIT: I am partly wrong, partly right. Natural gas isn't a majority (it's only about 40%), but coal is at about 20% and steadily dropping.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kensilv...h=3b6d69964d50
    Yeah, you libs are always talking about your 'facts', and 'reality'. Fact is, there is no new technology. FACT!

The world is the same as it was 20 years ago! Nothing is gonna change, Dagnabit! Your solar panels and hydro-electric and wind and gravity batteries nonsense should just quit. Let us burn this mutha down because Freedumb! We can subsidize coal, SMART GUY! That'll show you. Power, for a man, comes from burnin' something! Why would you work towards something with no fuel involved? It's just stupid. That's why the 45 year old Voyager crafts have V-8's. Duh!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    There isn't going to be one day when people turn off all fossil fuels, they will gradually go down. The answer is increase the available energy to be able to ween off the fossil fuels but they are still going to be around. They have to keep on working to increase the renewables. You see with these gas prices and how these huge upswings in price is a multiplier in inflation. The best bet is not to be so reliant on it. But we are reliant on them right now and to make progress you have to deal with that reality.

Leave a comment:

• chemiclord
    replied
    I think the majority of energy producing plants are natural gas at this point rather than coal.

Which isn't much better, but the fact remains that coal is dying as a fuel source, and why West Virginia is in such a state. They're going to have to change to survive, because it's not "green activism" that's killing coal; it's the same free markets that they claim to love oh so very much.

EDIT: I am partly wrong, partly right. Natural gas isn't a majority (it's only about 40%), but coal is at about 20% and steadily dropping.

Natural gas has been replacing coal and helping the nation reduce its CO2 levels. But what is its role going foward and is it relevant in a decarbonized economy?
    Last edited by chemiclord; July 21, 2022, 02:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wcfwtf
    replied
    When you plug in you are tapping into the resources of the building to transfer the energy.
    those buildings are deriving their energy more then likely from coal plants.
    unless it’s Nuclear energy I guess.

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
    There needs to be and will be more progress made, hopefully politicians on both sides can see that. Michigan has a way to go, btw.
    Progress comes incrementally and recently with the Roe reversal sometimes you have to solidify the progress that has happened. Gay marriage, interracial marriage, contraception along with abortion rights are on the table. While they have the majorities in both houses, they need to get everyone on record if they can't get it into law.

Leave a comment:

• CGVT
    replied
    Wait! What!? Facts will only cloud his mind

Leave a comment:

• -Deborah-
    replied
    There needs to be and will be more progress made, hopefully politicians on both sides can see that. Michigan has a way to go, btw.

Leave a comment:

• -Deborah-
    replied
    Originally posted by wcfwtf View Post
    When you charge your electric battery your getting energy from sources that are powered by coal😂
    Are EVs Charged Mostly By Coal Power in the US? | EVAdoption

Leave a comment:

• Nick Pappageorgio
    replied
    I agree with Froot’s assessment.

I’d like to see more moderate wild-card types on both sides….a group that would stick together from time to time

Leave a comment:

• -Deborah-
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick Pappageorgio View Post

Isn’t voting on certain principals a certain way just because you have a D next to your name blindly accepting?
    Sure, but that's not quite what I mean. I do feel everyone has a right and a duty to vote their conscience and I do feel there is middle ground within the party. I don't see what JM is doing as an effort to change the principles of his party though. Maybe I'm not exposed to enough of a sample set to judge as I don't follow this stuff that closely.

If the science shows that a trans woman/girl is equal to other women/girls their age after a certain point in their transition, I would support their participation in competitive sports. Because if my child decided to transition, I would want them to have as full of a life as possible, including competing in sports.

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    I guess it's fair to say he's serving his people - those who are working in a dying coal industry. But my opinion is that he's serving them merely by coincidence, since he's the guy who made millions in the coal industry and has a vested interest in it continuing.

I don't feel anyone should be blindly accepting anyone's agenda. I do feel if you have a (D) next to your name, that there are certain principles for which you are in agreeance, and it seems like Manchin continually opposes these. I don't like that one bozo from WV has this much power and I do think he gets off on it, bigtime.
    Like I said before you need a lot more Manchins even if they are all annoying in unique ways. Going into 2020 the Senate had a +6 R favor. That means the median state was Georgia and Trump won it by 6 percentage points. Right now it looks like it has a +3 R because the median state was Florida and Trump won it by 3 percentage points. If you want to get to 55 or even 60 senators like Obama did for a short window you need a lot of candidates that have different views. If the principles or purity test to be a Democrat is too big, the Democrats would be a permanent minority in the Senate. Right now they are only 3 senators right in states won by Trump: Tester in Montana, Brown in Ohio and Manchin in West Virginia. I can see that Manchin is frustrating, but it's better to be frustrated by him and have the majority than be rid of him and be in the minority.

The common principles you want have to be small enough that a candidate can adhere to and still be competitive in states like Iowa, Ohio, Texas, Florida and North Carolina.

Leave a comment:

• Nick Pappageorgio
    replied
    I guess it's fair to say he's serving his people - those who are working in a dying coal industry. But my opinion is that he's serving them merely by coincidence, since he's the guy who made millions in the coal industry and has a vested interest in it continuing.

I don't feel anyone should be blindly accepting anyone's agenda. I do feel if you have a (D) next to your name, that there are certain principles you for which you are in agreeance, and it seems like Manchin continually opposes these. I don't like that one bozo from WV has this much power and I do think he gets off on it, bigtime.
    Isn’t voting on certain principals a certain way just because you have a D next to your name blindly accepting?

This is why politics has become so highly polarized…nobody is supposed to make up their own mind on the individual issues anymore, they wait for their political party leadership to tell them how to think.

It’s also the reason no one wants to find a middle ground anymore….on a given subject, not only are you supposed to have a specifically determined opinion (based on your political affiliation) but if you don’t carry it out to the most extreme then you’re the enemy.

Example…Trans-stuff. I am highly supportive of gay and trans rights, I believe that everyone should be able to live their lives the way they want to without interference or discrimination (use whatever bathroom you like) BUT that support stops at participation in womens/girls sports (and to a lesser extent the hijacking/awkward misuse of the pronouns “they/their”). This (according to liberal ideology) makes me a horrible bigot and team-TERF.

Not saying the right is any better…my own mother acts like I’m a baby killer for supporting abortion rights …but I also believe in a cap somewhere between 12-15 weeks (because I’ve taken a host of human development classes and have my own opinions on when the cells become a person) I think it’s a good and fair compromise. So depending on who I’m talking to I’m anti-women’s rights or a baby killer…for having an informed yet middle of the road opinion that respects both sides to some extent.

Leave a comment:

• wcfwtf
    replied
    When you charge your electric battery your getting energy from sources that are powered by coal😂

Leave a comment:

• whatever_gong82
    replied
    More on topic: Biden has tested positive for COVID.
    I hope that he gets better and recovers.

Leave a comment:

• -Deborah-
    replied
    More on topic: Biden has tested positive for COVID.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X