No announcement yet.

Coronavirus Safety Protocol - please read and discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right now, the year 2020 is like those old classic Warner Brothers cartoons with the Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote, and mankind is the Coyote.

(And I refuse to use any ACME products!!)

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
    My friend Ken L

Comment

• MLB will investigate Justin Turner’s decision to celebrate with COVID-19

Posted by Mike Florio on October 28, 2020, 4:42 PM EDT
      USA TODAY Sports

Major League Baseball will huff and puff and potentially blow Justin Turner’s house down, if of course the MLB Players Association lets MLB do it.

MLB has issued a statement regarding last night’s inexplicable failure of the Dodgers to keep third baseman Justin Turner in isolation after he was removed from the game in the eighth inning following a positive test for COVID-19 that emerged during the game.

“Immediately upon receiving notice from the laboratory of a positive test, protocols were triggered, leading to the removal of Justin Turner from last night’s game,” MLB said in a statement. “Turner was placed into isolation for the safety of those around him. However, following the Dodgers’ victory, it is clear that Turner chose to disregard the agreed-upon joint protocols and the instructions he was given regarding the safety and protection of others. While a desire to celebrate is understandable, Turner’s decision to leave isolation and enter the field was wrong and put everyone he came in contact with at risk. When MLB Security raised the matter of being on the field with Turner, he emphatically refused to comply.

“The Commissioner’s Office is beginning a full investigation into this matter and will consult with the Players Association within the parameters of the joint 2020 Operations Manual.

“Last night, nasal swabs were conducted on the Dodgers’ traveling party. Both the Rays and Dodgers were tested again today and their travel back to their home cities will be determined after being approved by the appropriate authorities.”

It’s good that MLB is willing to say what everyone knows: Turner’s conduct was wrong. It also was selfish and stupid and shortsighted and dangerous, especially since he posed maskless for a team photo next to manager Dave Roberts, a cancer survivor.

The consequences should extend beyond Turner. Whoever from the Dodgers should have kept him from the field should be penalized for their failure, too.

To the NFL’s credit, it wouldn’t have to issues penalties for something like this. As explained earlier today, the NFL would never let it happen.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Dum fucker
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Clemson announces Trevor Lawrence has “mild” COVID-19 symptoms

Posted by Mike Florio on October 29, 2020, 9:11 PM EDT

Getty Images

Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence does indeed have COVID-19. Coach Dabo Swinney confirmed the diagnosis on Thursday night.

“Trevor has authorized us this evening to announce that he has tested positive for COVID-19 and is now in isolation,” Swinney said in a statement. “He is doing well with mild symptoms but will not be available for this week’s game against Boston College. While we certainly will miss Trevor, this is an opportunity for other guys to step up and we’re excited about competing against a very good BC team on Saturday. Go Tigers.”

The “Go Tigers” seems a little odd, given the context. Regardless, Lawrence isn’t available this week and it remains to be seen if he’ll face Notre Dame next weekend. Go Irish.

Comment

• mask.jpg
            "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• NFL sees an increase in Tier 3 positives

Posted by Mike Florio on November 2, 2020, 7:58 PM EST

USA TODAY Sports

The NFL’s various franchises have divided access and, in turn, testing based on a series of tiers. As the virus continues to spread and as the nationwide numbers continue to increase, the NFL is also seeing an increase among Tier 3 personnel.

Tested once per week, Tier 3 individuals consist of certain types of operational personnel (e.g., cleaning service providers), food preparation/kitchen personnel (who will prepare meals but have no contact with Tier 1 or Tier 2 Individuals), additional in-house media and broadcast personnel (e.g., camera operators, audio technicians), field maintenance providers, transportation providers, and additional stadium or security personnel not assigned to restricted areas.

According to the league, the recent increases for Tier 3 personnel are consistent with the general increases in infections throughout society. This only underscores the importance of Tier 1 and Tier 2 personnel (primarily players and coaches) avoiding situations that could result in infections when away from work. Absent a home-market bubble, all players and coaches will continue to go their separate ways after every day or work, potentially getting themselves exposed to the virus under a wide variety of factual circumstances.

As the total cases continue to increase (and they are), the opportunities to catch the virus likewise will increase. Although the league’s protocols are premised on preventing inevitable positive cases from becoming outbreaks, an increase in positives means an increase in chances for an outbreak.

Thus, while the NFL will have made it through eight full weeks after tonight’s Bucs-Giants contest with all games played (even if it took some surgery to the schedule to make it happen), challenges loom. They loom because the virus continues to spread.

This means that everyone associated with each NFL team must do whatever they can to steer clear of the virus, until the season ends.

Comment

• Things are definitely ticking up all over. Hearing of more coworkers who are infected, friends with family members infected, and so on. :( Hoping everyone stays safe and well!

#birdsarentreal

Comment

• I remember some guy said they should do this. Before the season. I'm some guy.

NFL expands bench area, requires players to put masks on after games

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 3, 2020, 1:30 PM EST

Getty Images

The NFL is stepping up its attempts to keep players apart during and after games.

NFL Chief Football Administrative Officer Dawn Aponte announced today that the league is expanding the bench area during games and requiring masks after games in an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

The bench area, where players and coaches have long been required to stay between the 30-yard lines, will be expanded so that players and coaches can be anywhere between the 20-yard lines. The league will also add benches where that’s feasible, but will not provide more chairs, as players tend to crowd more closely together in clusters when chairs are available.

The NFL is also requiring players and staffers to have masks on after games. Although that had already been encouraged, now players are being told that putting masks on before post-game handshakes or other activities on the field is a requirement.

Comment

• Wisconsin cancels another game because of COVID-19 outbreak

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 3, 2020, 12:45 PM EST

Getty Images

One of the top teams in college football is seeing its season fall apart because of a COVID-19 outbreak.

Wisconsin has canceled its second consecutive game because 15 players and 12 staff members have tested positive for COVID-19. Last week’s game against Nebraska was canceled, now this week’s game against Purdue is canceled, and it appears that next week’s game against Michigan is in jeopardy. The school says all football activities are paused indefinitely.

If Wisconsin cancels three games it will be ineligible to compete for the Big Ten championship. Heading into the season, the Badgers were the favorites to represent the Big Ten West in the Championship Game.

Wisconsin opened the season with a 45-7 win over Illinois and was ranked No. 9 in the country.

Comment

• Did u have any advice for the NHL and NBA bubbles, FS?

If so, they obviously took it
                      WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                        I remember some guy said they should do this. Before the season. I'm some guy.
                        I find myself irritated by coaches on sidelines with masks under their chins the entire game. WTF are you doing?

Hey, I did it. I found one positive quality of Fatty Patricia. He seems mostly to do the right thing with masks from what I see.
                        Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• I have a cold
                          The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• I've got a big dick.
                            Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Frustrated Head GIF

Comment

• Anthony Fauci expects limited capacity for sporting events deep into 2021

Posted by Mike Florio on November 4, 2020, 9:47 AM EST

Getty Images

There’s nothing normal about 2020. But that may be what’s now normal, into 2021.

Via Sports Business Daily, Dr. Anthony Fauci said Tuesday that limited capacities for American sporting events likely will continue deep into next year.

Dr. Fauci explained that, even if a “really good vaccine” is developed, “mask wearing will continue well into the third or fourth quarter of 2021.” He also said that there there will be a “graded, gradual progression towards normality.”

“Ultimately, when we get this under control — not only at the domestic, but [at] the global level — we will start to approach what we call normal,” Dr. Fauci said. “I don’t think . . . that it’s going to be at a level where people are going to feel like there are no public-health measures to be implemented until we get to the end of 2021 — at least.”

In the interim, it would help to have a cheap, accurate, and readily available point-of-care test, which would allow people to know as often as they want to know whether they are negative or positive. While this doesn’t circumvent realities like the incubation period, regular testing will help to reduce the risks associated with people doing things that once were gadded as normal.

Comment

Working...
                                X