X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lions’ team doctor fears second wave could lead to abridged season

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 27, 2020, 2:44 PM EDT

Getty Images

At the moment, with COVID-19 deaths on the decline and pro sports making plans to reopen, it appears that the NFL season will start on time. But that doesn’t mean the whole season will proceed on schedule.

Lions team doctor Asheesh Bedi warns that if the NFL in particular and society as a whole can’t do the work necessary to keep the virus from spreading, a second wave could hit in the fall that would cause the NFL to shut down.

“In the fall, it’s really going to be about continuing those safe measures that might have us avoid seeing a second wave becoming a major or even more devastating second peak,” Bedi told Adam Schefter, via the Detroit Free Press. “If that were to happen, and despite all of the safeguards that we have in place, I think that gets back to the need to be able to pivot quickly. . . . I think we need to quickly recognize that our priority will always be safety. And if that means that we have to change our workflow, abridge seasons, modify how we’re working through things, that just has to happen.”

The trajectory of the virus has proven difficult if not impossible to predict, which means no one really knows where things will be in the middle of the NFL season. But no one should assume that just because the season starts on time, that means the NFL and America are in the clear.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• This seems pretty ridiculous to me. The cards and chips are still going to be dirty. And four to a poker table? Hope there are more inventive ideas out there.

Edit: And wait, what about the reflection? Ugh.

Last edited by -Deborah-; May 28, 2020, 01:02 PM.
      #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Ya, anyone who plays poker would never want to play 4 handed. That’s just trash.

Comment

• I try to not go to the grocery store at all, I have complained for years about people coughing near me and around fruit (and seeming following me everywhere I go). I went to Kroger about a month ago and most were doing well with masks and distance, but a few were not. Wearing their mask on the neck and cutting in to get what they want ect ...I was almost ready to tell a few people to get the F' away from me. I haven't had a cold/flu in 20 years and I think im going to get this crap? and die....? Great!

I have been ordering online the last month (or my friend who says im overreacting goes), you can get most fruits online and that's the most important food for me. I'm basically Howard Hughes right now, but I was a major germ phobia guy before the outbreak, so I haven't changed my lifestyle much. Though lately I have not been worrying as much, then I think.... I better wash my hands. (again) I have always said - I no faith in humanity. People suck (Dogs Rule) too bad. But I regress, stay safe - wear your masks when out, clean your hands often and don't be dumb fucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
            I try to not go to the grocery store at all, I have complained for years about people coughing near me and around fruit (and seeming following me everywhere I go). I went to Kroger about a month ago and most were doing well with masks and distance, but a few were not. Wearing their mask on the neck and cutting in to get what they want ect ...I was almost ready to tell a few people to get the F' away from me. I haven't had a cold/flu in 20 years and I think im going to get this crap? and die....? Great!

I have been ordering online the last month (or my friend who says im overreacting goes), you can get most fruits online and that's the most important food for me. I'm basically Howard Hughes right now, but I was a major germ phobia guy before the outbreak, so I haven't changed my lifestyle much. Though lately I have not been worrying as much, then I think.... I better wash my hands. (again) I have always said - I no faith in humanity. People suck (Dogs Rule) too bad. But I regress, stay safe - wear your masks when out, clean your hands often and don't be dumb fucks.
            You haven't had a cold for 20 years?
            WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Wings fan , I would much rather people be more like you than the other way around. You are trying to stop the spread of the virus.
              I am a dentist and have A Series of 13 questions that I am required to ask my patients I also have to replace my clothing after every patient; the new masks are hot the glasses steam up and the face shield is hard to get used to but I am much safer in my environment than a grocery store.
              You are smart and doing the right thing.

Comment

• Yes Dan I remember when you posted about patients pausing you with their cell phones, you are a true hero.

You haven't had a cold for 20 years?
                Actually 18 years and I remember that b/c it was on Valentines Day that year and a certain person blamed me for it.

I have sinus trouble once in a while and plenty other sports type related pain and a car wreck and before that a head injury that make up for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
                  I have sinus trouble once in a while and plenty other sports type related pain and a car wreck and before that a head injury that make up for it.

Don’t forget about the ass kickings (tech term) that I’ve administered to you in fantasy football. I’m sure those have played a huge role in your PTSD
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• [QUOTE=WingsFan;n1693136]Yes Dan I remember when you posted about patients pausing you with their cell phones, you are a true hero.

Thanks Wingsfan. I am just doing my job. "it's Just Another Day", to quote Sir Paul.

The true heroes are those caring for the patients with KNOWN covid -19 .

Comment

• Michigan reopens to sports practices, games

Posted by Josh Alper on June 1, 2020, 3:36 PM EDT

Getty Images

Lions head coach Matt Patricia said toward the end of last month that the team wasn’t in any hurry to get back into their facility and there wasn’t much reason for them to be hurrying because Michigan still had many closures due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Lions can now start to think about when they’d like to reopen their facility if they’re so inclined. Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer issued an executive order on Monday loosening many restrictions and allowing for the resumption of activities at many businesses. It also allowed for the resumption of sporting events.

Per the order, outdoor sports practices and games can take place as long as individuals on the field and in the stands are able to practice social distancing. Crowds for outdoor events are capped at 100 people for the time being, so the current restrictions don’t necessarily lend themselves to an NFL practice or game environment.

While the Lions would be able to practice under such guidelines, there’s no reason to think this will make in-person activities any likelier before the end of offseason activities. All NFL teams will need to be able to access their facilities in order for such work to happen and the Lions were not the only team to do so.
                      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Gotta say, seeing the "Politics" tag next to a discussion about a pandemic kinda depresses me.
                        Last edited by chemiclord; June 2, 2020, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• Me too.

Comment

• Just trying to warn folks that there is some political content in the thread.
                            #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Okay. Like Thanos I guess it's inevitable.

Comment

• Oh, I know why you put it there, Deb. It depresses me that it was necessary.

Comment

Working...
                                X