Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Politics - 2020 Presidential Election - GOP v Dem cage fight (ENTER AT YOUR PERIL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would "you" force them to stay married together?

Comment

• Man, I hope they found those shitty do-nothing poor people in Mississippi who stole from the state's welfare fund to help build a volleyball court on behalf of a former NFL QB...

Comment

• Originally posted by JGSpartan View Post

I'm on disability now and i'll admit that i do get assistance for that. I wasn't though until 35 as I worked up until then. I felt the same about the benefit of the program to our society before that as I do after. I had no issue paying it to aid others. I know many who believe the same but aren't receiving aid.

You have this distorted view that everyone who believes in social safety nets is benefitting from them directly. We support them because we believe everyone benefits from them in some way and the majority of aid money re-enters the economy.

Aside from safety safety nets I also believe that a country investing in its own people is a good thing. I understand that sometimes means higher taxes and that's ok as long as they aren't unbearable. Better education across the board helps everyone. The government investing in jobs or trades we need is a good thing.

The United States is not a densely populated country. It also has the largest wage gap of any other top 15 economy. We certainly have the money and the resources to shrink that gap some while still allowing the American dream of prosperity to endure. It's not like we don't have enough to go around. Some people just don't want it to go around. It's easier to look at anyone it would benefit as a leech as opposed to an investment, which is what it really is.
        There are those who view the less fortunate, disabled, and those who struggle in this country as leeches who aren't worthy of anything unless the vote Maga.

Others view them as Americans who fell in misfortune for one reason or another and regardless of why want to see all Americans living at a certain level of comfort and safety.

Given the resources we have at our disposal, anyone who claims to love America or have even a shred of patriotism, should expect that all Americans have access to basic needs such as food, clean water, health care, education, and shelter. That shouldn't even be a political divide.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          Nihilism, haha, say what you will about tenets of my philosophy, at least it's an ethos.
          I'm not sure what your philosophy is, but if it's not nihilism, then it's a failure.
          "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
          Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• Jan. 6 rioter Doug Jensen, among first to breach Capitol, guilty on seven criminal counts.

You won't find a nicer group of people anywhere.
            Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Lion View Post

I'm not sure what your philosophy is, but if it's not nihilism, then it's a failure.
              Whoosh

Comment

• Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are too fast.

Comment

• So you have no frame of reference Iron Lion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Lion View Post
                    Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are too fast.
                    Calm down, Drax.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                      Trump's tax cuts benefitted "everyone," temporarily. The upper tax bracket cuts were permanent, anyone below only got temporary tax relief.

It was meant to dupe rubes like the old man.
                      Absolutely untrue. Trump's tax cuts benefitted the lower 20% of income distributions most, at least compared to their taxes paid. The top 1% of the income distribution pays about 50% of the taxes. The top 10% pay 90% of the taxes. When the rates were cut for everyone, the top payers naturally got to keep more money in absolute terms than did the bottom 20%, most of whom do not pay taxes. If a rich guy pays $ 100,000 in taxes and a poor man pays $ 1,000, the 2% decrease for the top guy saves him $ 2,000, while the increase in the standard deduction wipes out the tax liability for the poorer guy. The D lie is that the rich guy benefitted $ 2,000 in my example, but the poor guy only benefitted $ 1,000. Ergo, the rich benefitted most. They do not understand that the $ 1,000 means more to the poor guy than the $ 2,000 does to the rich guy.

All the cuts were permanent until 2026 when the death tax goes back to previous rates.

Comment

• Frame of reference for comparing what?

Comment

• Originally posted by kreton View Post

There are those who view the less fortunate, disabled, and those who struggle in this country as leeches who aren't worthy of anything unless the vote Maga.

Others view them as Americans who fell in misfortune for one reason or another and regardless of why want to see all Americans living at a certain level of comfort and safety.

Given the resources we have at our disposal, anyone who claims to love America or have even a shred of patriotism, should expect that all Americans have access to basic needs such as food, clean water, health care, education, and shelter. That shouldn't even be a political divide.

Well said. I believe we all have an obligation to those less fortunate, to the widows, orphans, and those who are unable to support themselves. I figure that is what makes a civil society. The Bible says we should tithe to support these unfortunates, but I suspect most here do not do that. It is so much easier to vote to take the money of others and virtue signal with that money.

JG Spartan made good points too.

The Inspector General of the Department of Labor announced yesterday that the amount of fraud in unemployment payments under the Covid programs has reached $ 45.6 billion. Previously the amount was supposed to be $ 16 Billion. How much was stolen from PPP? To JG's point, we know that the disability program is so abused in Appalachia that it is a lifestyle. How much welfare money is being spent on drugs? I understand liberals view spending as an "investment" because that is a good word. Why do we pay three times as much to educate a child as do in other first-world countries? What about California's $ 400,000/year pensions for Fire and Police retirees, or teacher pensions in MI for that matter?

You can pay $ 300/share for Microsoft today. The market price is about $ 150. though. Your $ 300. is still an "investment" but wouldn't it be better to pay a market rate?

We need 87,000 people tasked will stopping welfare cheating rather than 87,000 new IRS agents. The reason we have such a low labor participation rate is that people have learned they can make do fine without a job by taking various forms of welfare. That is not good for the country.

Oh, I see no one other than JG has spoken up to say they do not get money from the government. If you rob Peter to pay Paul you can count on Paul's vote.

Comment

• 1) It is absolutely none of your business.

2) We don't answer to you.

3) Just because you lack general human empathy doesn't mean others do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post

Absolutely untrue. Trump's tax cuts benefitted the lower 20% of income distributions most, at least compared to their taxes paid. The top 1% of the income distribution pays about 50% of the taxes. The top 10% pay 90% of the taxes. When the rates were cut for everyone, the top payers naturally got to keep more money in absolute terms than did the bottom 20%, most of whom do not pay taxes. If a rich guy pays $ 100,000 in taxes and a poor man pays $ 1,000, the 2% decrease for the top guy saves him $ 2,000, while the increase in the standard deduction wipes out the tax liability for the poorer guy. The D lie is that the rich guy benefitted $ 2,000 in my example, but the poor guy only benefitted $ 1,000. Ergo, the rich benefitted most. They do not understand that the $ 1,000 means more to the poor guy than the $ 2,000 does to the rich guy.

All the cuts were permanent until 2026 when the death tax goes back to previous rates.

So... absolutely untrue... except that it's true.

Go back to bed, old man.

Comment

• That was a whole lot of complaining about shit for him to say he doesn't understand that fraud prevention is exactly what 87000 new IRS workers will help solve.

Maybe we should cut taxes and cut their jobs more though. He complains about fraud as the right cripples various agencie's capabilities to prevent it.

The language used reeks of blaming those that need for the crimes of those who would abuse. Left voters are just a bunch of criminals. Blame the little guy while ignoring the lost tax revenue from douchebags like Trump and those like him. The type of people who would also be included in those IRS workers fraud prevention. I'd be willing to bet there's a lot more money lost due to business fraud than welfare.

Let's just target the poor though, because reasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X