No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Word on the street is that Aaron Rodger is a complicated person..

lol, man the Packers are so stupid.
    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Is Saleh the next Patricia?

Robert Saleh, Jets taking “bold” approach at cornerback

Posted by Josh Alper on June 18, 2021, 6:52 AM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

Jets head coach Robert Saleh’s last job was running the defense for the 49ers and he did it well enough to help the team to Super Bowl LIV on his way to landing his current gig.

One of his biggest challenges with his current defense will be building a strong cornerback group. The Jets opted not to sign or trade for any veterans this offseason, which leaves them with a young collection of players without a track record of success at the professional level.

Saleh was asked at his Thursday press conference if he’d like to add someone with more experience to a crew that features four rookies, Bless Austin, Bryce Hall, and Javelin Guidry. Saleh didn’t sound like it was an imperative for the team.

“I’ve said it before, I think, the difference between player A and player Z in the entire league, I’m not talking about superstars, I’m not talking about the Aaron Donald’s of the world, they’re unique,” Saleh said. “But the difference between player A and player Z is minimal and the only thing that keeps player Z from becoming player A is an opportunity and reps. Let’s see what happens. Does it always happen? It doesn’t, but unless you’re willing to be bold enough to coach your tail off and to invest as much as you can into these young men and give them the opportunity to be seen, give them the opportunity to get reps, and give them the opportunity to get better, you’ll never know what you might find. So, that’s just the belief and the philosophy of not only our coaching staff but the entire organization and that’s something we’re committed to.”

The Jets have swung and missed with a number of free agents over the years. This year’s approach is at the other end of the spectrum and we’ll see if boldness winds up paying off for Saleh.

I'm sure that was Quintricia's thoughts too. Tavai!
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Saleh is right about the reps and opportunity, that is a true across most sports and most positions. I just wouldn't count on it at a position like corner that relies on speed and athletic ability.

Comment

• Which was Quintricia's issue. They discounted way too many red flags, like speed. I mean, a player has to have a certain level of speed/strength/twitch/etc...
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• What did Andy Dalton see “wrong” in Justin Fields’ throwing motion?

Posted by Mike Florio on June 18, 2021, 12:54 PM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

Bears quarterback Justin Fields recently praised QB1 (for now) Andy Dalton for taking the rookie under his wing. But one this Fields said raises eyebrows.

“I think there was one day after OTAs, I was throwing extra after practice, and he stayed out there specifically just to see maybe what I was doing wrong and he was just trying to help me out,” Fields said.

So Fields was throwing. And Dalton noticed something Field was doing wrong.

This dovetails with concerns about Fields’ throwing motion, concerns to which analysts like NBC’s Chris Simms have alluded. And it was Simms who pointed out to me the telling admission in Fields’ comments.

Look at the attached photo. The elbow sticks up high in the air as the arm cocks. Plenty of photos of Fields show his arm in that position.

It ultimately may mean nothing. He still gets the ball out quickly enough. But with a smoother and more efficient throwing motion, he could get it out even faster. Also, the unusual throwing motion can affect his accuracy.

Maybe that’s what Dalton saw. Maybe it was something else. Whatever it was, it was enough for Dalton to mention it to Fields.

Comment

• Could Chicago host two NFL teams, eventually?

Posted by Mike Florio on June 18, 2021, 10:48 AM EDT

Getty Images

The renewed chatter regarding a possible new home for the Bears in Arlington Heights makes sense. Soldier Field is outdated. The team at some point could be up for sale, especially if estate-tax obligations compel the transfer of equity to outsiders. The possibility of a new, state-of-the-art venue potentially becomes critical to maximizing franchise value.

Here’s what maximizes the value of a new stadium: More games. So could Chicago become the third American city to host a pair of football teams in one stadium?

It’s not as crazy as it may sound at first blush. Stadium politics will compel some owners who can’t get free money to build or renovate stadiums in their existing cities to consider other alternatives. If Bears build their own stadium (like Rams owner Stan Kroenke has done), adding another team to the mix and the extra 10 home games per year that go along with it, a team in a market that can’t or won’t pay for all or most of a new or renovated stadium could be inclined to make the move.

Then there’s the issue of expansion. Although the league hasn’t begun to float that possibility, it’s looming. Legalized gambling cries out for increased inventory of things on which to bet. The 17-game season inevitably will become an 18-game season. Then, the only way to increase the number of games will be to increase the number of teams.

So where would a new team land? St. Louis? The pending Rams relocation litigation against the league possibly burns that bridge. San Diego? Good luck getting taxpayer money for a stadium there. San Antonio? The Texans and Cowboys would likely never tolerate another team wedged between their markets.

Other than London — which quite possibly will end up with two teams in its two NFL-ready stadiums — Chicago may be the only viable spot for a team. Especially if the relocation/expansion of a team to Chicago makes it more financially viable for the Bears to buy and build a replacement for Soldier Field.

Comment

• Bears sign Jake Butt, Tyrone Wheatley Jr.

Posted by Josh Alper on June 18, 2021, 10:43 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Bears had a handful of players trying out for their team at this week’s mandatory minicamp and they announced three of them earned roster spots on Friday.

Defensive lineman Mike Pennel‘s addition was reported on Thursday and confirmed by the team as they also shared word that they’ve signed tight end Jake Butt and tackle Tyrone Wheatley Jr.

Butt tore his ACL in his final game at Michigan and went to the Broncos in the fifth round of the 2017 draft. He missed his rookie year and then tore his ACL again in September 2018. His knee issues kept him out in 2019 and he played five games last season before going on injured reserve with a hamstring injury.

He has 10 catches for 90 yards in eight regular season appearances.

Wheatley is the son of former NFL running back Tyrone Wheatley and played tight end for his father at Morgan State in 2019. Wheatley originally went to his father’s (and Butt’s) alma mater to start his college career but left Ann Arbor after the 2017 season. He transitioned to offensive tackle while playing in the Spring League.

The Bears also waived defensive lineman Thomas Schaffer and tackle Gunnar Vogel.

Comment

• Dak Prescott: Most important Cowboys are Tyron Smith, Zack Martin, La’el Collins

Posted by Josh Alper on June 21, 2021, 7:12 AM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott‘s recovery from last year’s ankle injury has been well documented this offseason and he’s on track to be 100 percent for the start of the 2021 season.

Prescott doesn’t think that’s the most significant development for the Cowboys on the offensive side of the ball, however. Prescott’s absence might have grabbed the most headlines, but the team was also missing left tackle Tyron Smith, right guard Zack Martin and right tackle La'el Collins for large chunks of the year.

The three players were eased back into the mix this spring in hopes of having them all where they belong come the fall and Prescott didn’t undersell the significance of having them back in action.

“They’re the most important, if you ask me,” Prescott said, via Todd Archer of ESPN.com. “From the time that I got drafted until now, this offense is built off of those guys. They’re the three most veteran guys on this team, and that’s for a reason. Those guys are walk-in Pro Bowl guys when they’re healthy, future Hall of Famers. Just to have those three guys lead the five guys up front, everything starts with them. The run game, that allows the pass game to open up. When you have those guys back healthy, energized, it’s special.”

All three players are expected to be full participants at training camp next month and having the full offense back in action is a good first step toward what the Cowboys hope will be a more successful campaign.

Comment

• Packers feel their pass rush is in a “great place”

Posted by Josh Alper on June 21, 2021, 6:55 AM EDT

Getty Images

Za'Darius Smith predicted a “dominant” season is coming for fellow Packers edge rusher Rashan Gary in 2021 and the team’s defensive coaches believe he’ll have some company on that front.

Smith and Gary are joined by Preston Smith off the edge in Green Bay and outside linebackers coach Mike Smith said recently that he has “a bunch of tough, mean, nasty dudes” in his room. The trio combined for 21.5 sacks in former defensive coordinator Mike Pettine’s defense last season and new coordinator Joe Barry said that he thinks the whole group is ready to thrive this time around as well.

“All three of those guys, I’m excited about,” Barry said, via Jason Wilde of Madison.com. “It’s great. Whether we have two of them on the field, all three of them on the field, we’ll get creative and have some fun with it. You can’t have enough great pass rushers, and I’m excited to be working with all three of those guys. All three of those guys are in a great place.”

There’s plenty of attention being paid to the quarterback position in Green Bay this offseason, but they’re going to need a productive pass rush however the Aaron Rodgers saga ultimately plays out. Barry and Smith sound confident that they’ll bring that to the table.

Comment

• Carl Nassib’s jersey is the top-selling across Fanatics since his announcement

Posted by Charean Williams on June 22, 2021, 4:13 PM EDT

Getty Images

Many casual NFL fans likely didn’t know who Carl Nassib was until Monday. Now, everybody knows his name.

Nassib made history when he announced in an Instagram post he is gay. The Raiders defensive end is the first openly gay active player in the NFL as Michael Sam never played in a regular-season game.

Nassib has received support from current players, former players, his team and the NFL the past 24 hours. Fans have shown their support with their wallets.

Nassib’s No. 94 jersey became the top-selling NFL jersey across the Fanatics network Monday and Tuesday, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

Nassib initially broke his news in a video. He later left a lengthy written post, explaining why it took him 15 years to tell the world and requesting others help play a part in reducing suicide rates within the LGBTQ community.

“I truly love my life and cannot understand why I have been blessed with so much,” Nassib said in part. “I feel especially thankful to have had so much support when many who came before — and many even now — do not. I stand on the shoulders of giants, incredible people who paved the way for me to have this opportunity. I do not know all the history behind our courageous LGBTQ community but I am eager to learn and to help continue the fight for quality and acceptance.”

Comment

• That’s some cash flow for him. I’m pretty sure the player gets a certain $ % from their jersey sales.

There’s a lot of Nassib and Kapernick jerseys out there.

Comment

• George Kittle: We’re sharing our strategy with guys at Tight End University

Posted by Myles Simmons on June 25, 2021, 8:56 AM EDT

Getty Images

Dozens of the league’s tight ends have gathered in Nashville this week for the inaugural Tight End University summit. Recently retired Greg Olsen, Kansas City’s Travis Kelce, and San Francisco’s George Kittle put together the event to help share knowledge between those who play one of the game’s toughest positions.

“I’m a big believer that you surround yourself with good people which brings the best out of you,” Kittle said, via Turron Davenport of ESPN. “We’re sharing our strategy with guys. Our mindsets, how you approach the game. All of this is for the tight end position to take a step forward. I’m excited that we have such a great group of guys.”

Activities have included film-study sessions and on-field work.

Part of why Kittle wanted to put the summit together is because he “100 percent” feels bothered that tight ends can be devalued when they “do everything.”

“I think TE is the most unique and diverse position,” Kittle said. “It’s the most fun position because it’s the only one on the field where you get to do everything that a football player does. You run block, you pass pro, you get to run routes and catch the football.”

There are 49 tight ends attending the festivities in Nashville, which run through Friday.

Comment

• Aaron Rodgers does indeed have an opt-out silver bullet for 2021

Posted by Mike Florio on June 25, 2021, 6:34 AM EDT

Getty Images

It seemed too easy, too good to be true. After further review, it isn’t.

The letter agreement between the NFL and NFL Players Association from Tuesday of this week does indeed grant broad powers to all players to opt out of the 2021 season, regardless of whether they opted out in 2020 or whether they have been diagnosed with a higher-risk condition since October 1, 2020. Although such players would be entitled to no stipend for 2021, any player who executed his most recent contract before October 1, 2020 can indeed opt out voluntarily, no questions asked as to motivation or qualification or possible ulterior motive.

This includes, most notably, Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers. By next Friday, July 2, he can pull the plug on the 2021 season. It would be a permanent and irrevocable decision, but he can do it.

The benefit to doing so comes from the fact that he would not forfeit $11.5 million in unearned signing bonus money for 2021 if he opts out. Also, he presumably would still receive the payments on the $6.8 million roster bonus that he earned in March, and that is due to be paid out in weekly installments during the season.

That’s $18.3 million that he’ll keep by opting out. If he doesn’t opt out but holds out, he loses that $18.3 million — and would be fined roughly $2 million on top of it for skipping training camp.

The problem with opting out is that it requires a fairly quick decision, and the decision cannot be changed. But if Rodgers truly is thinking about staying away for all of 2021, there are 20.3 million reasons for making a final and binding decision in the next seven days.

Comment

• I'd like to see a Blue Helmet

NFL will allow teams to use alternate-color helmets again, starting in 2022

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 24, 2021, 2:47 PM EDT

Getty Images

The NFL will bring back alternate-color helmets next year.

In a memo sent to teams this afternoon, the league announced a new policy that will give teams the opportunity to use two different helmets starting in the 2022 season, a popular move with fans who like alternate and throwback uniforms.

Teams can pair the second helmet with alternate, throwback or Color Rush uniforms, so long as they follow all league policies on ensuring that all alternate helmets are properly fitted, and that all players are provided with sufficient opportunity to wear the alternate helmets in practice prior to wearing them in a game.

Player safety was the primary reason the NFL previously told teams to stop using alternate helmets: Teams wanted every player to have one helmet that fit him properly, and not to alter it during the season. But the new policy addresses those concerns by requiring teams to have a new set of alternate helmets for every player on the roster, to ensure that all alternate helmets are the same make, model and size as the player’s primary helmet, and by requiring players to get fitted for both their primary and alternate helmets at the same time in training camp.

Comment

• Opt-out rights linger for 2021, but will anyone do it?

Posted by Mike Florio on June 24, 2021, 1:08 PM EDT

Getty Images

The NFL Players Association has secured for players the ability to opt out of the 2021 season, due to any lingering concerns regarding the pandemic. It’s highly unlikely that anyone will actually do it.

Last year, only 67 players opted out. Given the way the season played out, most of those players likely wouldn’t do it again, if they had the chance to do it all over. This year, with dramatically reduced uncertainty as to the virus and the availability of vaccines and a general sense (right or wrong) that it’s all over or at least in the process ending, it’s highly unlikely that anyone will opt out over the pandemic.

Throw in the fact that the stipend for exercising opt-out privilege is limited to players who signed their most recent contract before October 1, 2020 and who opted out in 2020 (or developed a high-risk condition since October 1), and it’s even less likely that anyone will do it.

Then there’s the deadline for making a decision. It’s July 2. To the extent that any player has lingering concerns, it’s unrealistic to expect them to make a firm and final decision by next Friday.

None of it really matters. It will be a shock if anyone opts out this year. And anyone who does so quite possibly will be driven by factors other than supposed concerns regarding the pandemic.

For example, a player who doesn’t want to get vaccinated but who also doesn’t want to deal with the rules that will apply to unvaccinated players could decide to take a year off and continue next year, when things surely will be far closer to normal. Also, if there’s a player who’s seriously considering retirement but doesn’t want to repay bonus money, an opt-out gives him a chance to kick the can for a year. By next year, maybe he’ll get cut.

The right to opt out without a stipend applies to all players who signed their most recent contracts before October 1, 2020. No one else (including most significantly all 2021 free agents and draft picks) can opt out.

Comment

Working...
                                X