No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing worse than handling dirty balls.
    Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
      These goof balls don't know what the hale they're doing. For instance (common sense) after every play the ball should be sanitized by the ref spotting it. He could easily have a towel attached in back of him that is saturated with disinfectant and just roll it in there. It should take 2 seconds. Simple stuff like this that they aren't even considering should have been put in place months ago.
      I would hope that they send in a clean ball after every play with someone on the sideline cleaning them.

"Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• What if they want to go to the hurry up? You can't stop that.

Comment

• They can do whatever rule changes they need to keep people safe.
          "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by UKBB View Post

I would hope that they send in a clean ball after every play with someone on the sideline cleaning them.
            Unless the offensive team is in a hurry up.

With a decent size towel (drenched in a disinfectant) it would be nothing to wrap the ball with it and pull it out. All clean.
            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Tyrod Taylor may start, but Anthony Lynn wants Justin Herbert ready

Posted by Darin Gantt on July 30, 2020, 9:01 AM EDT

Getty Images

Chargers coach Anthony Lynn said that from a sheer experience standpoint, it was likely that Tyrod Taylor would be his starting quarterback in Week One.

Beyond that, he’s making no promises, making sure rookie Justin Herbert is ready at any point after that.

The first-round pick isn’t being thrown into the lineup the way Joe Burrow is in Cincinnati, but Lynn wants to make sure Herbert doesn’t assume an apprenticeship year.

This young man has got to be ready to play,” Lynn said, via Jeff Miller of the Los Angeles Times. “This is a year of a lot of uncertainty. Every player has got to prepare and be ready to start. . . .

“Him sitting out the whole year, that may not be the case.”

Like every other rookie, Herbert is entering training camp without any on-field work during the offseason, and none on the immediate horizon until teams push through the acclimation period. That has set him behind, but Lynn’s making it clear the reps he gets have to matter.

“We definitely can’t make up for the reps that we missed out on,” Lynn said. “What we can do is try to take advantage of every one of those suckers moving forward.”

If Taylor has any degree of success, Herbert might have time to watch and learn. But if we’ve learned anything this offseason, it’s that things change quickly, and everyone has to be able to adapt.
              Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Isaiah Simmons still expecting to make an impact despite COVID-19

Posted by Charean Williams on July 29, 2020, 8:06 PM EDT

Getty Images

COVID-19 has changed many things for teams and players this season, but it hasn’t changed Isaiah Simmons’ goals.

Despite no on-field work in the offseason, the eighth overall choice still expects a successful rookie season.

“I’m not going to adjust my personal goals because we’re having a little adversity with this global pandemic,” Simmons said, via Kyle Odegard of the team website. “It’s either I’m going to achieve my goals or I’m not at the end of the day. I don’t feel like I should lower my expectations or my standards for myself just because there are a few obstacles in the road.”

Simmons played safety, cornerback and linebacker at Clemson. He will start at inside linebacker in the NFL.

He has watched tape of defensive backs Jalen Ramsey and Tyrann Mathieu for coverage tips, and edge-rushers Chandler Jones and Von Miller for pass-rush moves.

Simmons is expected to compete for defensive rookie of the year honors, and if he does what he expects to do, Simmons will contend.

“I’m not going to come out here and say I want to be defensive rookie of the year,” Simmons said. “That would be great and all, but I believe if I come out there and play, everything will fall in place. My biggest goal is to just make as big of an impact as I can for this organization.”

Comment

• If you were going to be a high 2021 draft pick why wouldn't you?

Comment

• VIC BEASLEYDL, TENNESSEE TITANS

Titans DL Vic Beasley didn't show up for COVID-19 testing for a second straight day.

No one seems to know why Beasley has gone MIA for virus testing. NFL Network's Ian Rapaport reported that "there has been no communication on why or where he is" after the Titans placed Beasley on the "reserve/did not report” list yesterday. Tennessee signed the former Falcons first-round bust to a one year deal worth $9.5 million in the offseason.

SOURCE: Ian Rapaport on Twitter
                    Jul 29, 2020, 3:14 PM

Comment

• ANTONIO BROWNWR, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

NFL suspended free agent WR Antonio Brown eight games for violating the league's personal-conduct policy.

Any interested teams needed to wait for Brown's looming suspension to be handed down before signing him. Now that this is out of the way, Brown can move forward with his football career. Despite his on-again-off-again relationship with the league, Brown very likely wants to play again. Lamar Jackson has been open about campaigning for Brown in Baltimore. He'll be available to play again in Week 9 or 10, depending on where/if he signs. Brown turned 32 earlier this month but remains one of the more talented wideouts in strictly football terms.

Jul 31, 2020, 2:31 PM

Comment

• Doug Pederson tests positive for COVID-19

Posted by Mike Florio on August 2, 2020, 8:49 PM EDT

Getty Images

Eagles coach Doug Pederson has become the first NFL coach to test positive for the coronavirus during training camp.

Tim McManus of ESPN.com reports that Pederson has informed his players that he has COVID-19. Pederson has had two positive test results.

Per McManus, Pederson is asymptomatic. A staff member who was in close contact with Pederson has been sent home.

It’s believed that Pederson caught the virus outside of the team facility.

In the offseason, Saints coach Sean Payton tested positive for the virus, and enduring some symptoms before becoming healthy again.

Comment

• Matt LaFleur: No guarantees, but I see Aaron Rodgers here for a really long time

Posted by Josh Alper on August 2, 2020, 1:55 PM EDT

Getty Images

In late May, Packers head coach Matt LaFleur said that the team’s decision to select quarterback Jordan Love in the first round this year came about because Love was the best player on the team’s board and not because they wanted to start the clock on replacing Aaron Rodgers.

While that may be the case, Rodgers said earlier that month that “there are other guys that have gone on and played elsewhere” when asked about his long-term future in Green Bay. LaFleur spoke to reporters again on Sunday and reiterated that his view is that Rodgers will not be leaving Green Bay anytime soon.

“Right now, most importantly, Aaron’s our quarterback and I see him here for a really long time,” LaFleur said, via Matt Schneidman of TheAthletic.com. “However long that is, I don’t think anybody knows. Nothing’s guaranteed in this league. But I feel so lucky to be able to work with him on a daily basis and I don’t see that changing for a really long time.”

Rodgers is currently signed through the 2023 season, which would be the fourth year of Love’s rookie contract. It would seem prudent to have some idea about what Love can do ahead of a decision about exercising a team option for the 2024 season, so there’s sure to be more to come on the quarterback front in Green Bay.

Comment

• Teams worry that opt-out privilege isn’t being used in good faith

Posted by Mike Florio on August 2, 2020, 11:03 AM EDT

Getty Images

The NFL reportedly wants to shorten the deadline for opting out. The desire to give players less time to decide on playing in 2020 comes from at least two specific concerns.

As one source explained it to PFT, teams are concerned that some players who think they won’t make the team are choosing to opt out and to take the six-figure stipend. While players apparently would owe the money back to the teams if they fail to make the roster in 2021, no team wants to have to chase a former player around next year in an effort to retrieve $150,000 or $350,000.

Another concern comes from an issue we’ve previously flagged: Some agents, per the source, are using the threat of an opt out as leverage to get their clients new contracts.

That’s not a surprise, and it’s not necessarily a sign of bad faith. For some players, consideration of the various risks that must be navigated before making a final decision definitely includes the reward. For plenty of players, a significant bump in compensation could be the difference between opting out and opting in.

We’ve yet to hear of any specific agents or players who are using a potential opt out as leverage for a new contact. That’s probably because the agents who are making these requests are being discreet, given the potential fan and media reaction to the perception that a shield is being transformed into a sword.

Still, if a player is truly on the fence about playing, the compensation the player will receive for assuming the added risk of playing in a pandemic definitely should be a factor. There’s nothing wrong in those situations for making it known to the team that more money would make a player more willing to embrace the problems of playing pro football in a pandemic.

Comment

• Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson To Buy XFL

August 3rd, 2020 at 9:26am CST by Zach Links

Finally, the XFL has come back to the news cycle. On Monday, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson announced that he has purchased the XFL. Johnson’s group – with backing from Redbird Capital Partners – will acquire the league from Vince McMahon for $15MM, as Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com tweets.

[RELATED: Former XFL Commissioner Oliver Luck Sues Vince McMahon]

The acquisition of the XFL with my talented partners, Dany Garcia and Gerry Cardinale, is an investment for me that’s rooted deeply in two things – my passion for the game and my desire to always take care of the fans,” said The Rock. “With pride and gratitude for all that I’ve built with my own to hands, I plan to apply these callouses to the XFL, and look forward to creating something special for the players, fans, and everyone involved for the love of football.”

The XFL’s relaunch ended midway through its (re)inaugural season, prompting McMahon to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. McMahon put the league up for sale in May and reportedly attracted “dozens” of potential bidders. Ultimately, McMahon’s longtime WWE superstar presented the top offer. McMahon, meanwhile, still has some loose ends to tie up. Commissioner Oliver Luck sued McMahon in April and other executives have filed claims to collect their pay.

The XFL 3.0, presumably, will target a 2021 relaunch. In the meantime, a number of XFL players are pushing for NFL roster spots in training camp.

Comment

• No offense to Mack, but PJ would be a better signing:

Raiders Cut 2018 Second-Round Pick P.J. Hall

August 3rd, 2020 at 8:02am CST by Zach Links

The Raiders will release defensive tackle P.J. Hall, as Ian Rapoport of NFL.com tweets. The Raiders used a second-round pick on Hall just two years ago.

[RELATED: Raiders To Sign Jeremy Hill]

Hall, a Sam Houston State product, cracked the starting lineup in 2019. However, the Raiders went in a different direction this offseason, signing former Cowboys DT Maliek Collins to start alongside Maurice Hurst. Collins, 25, came on a fairly reasonable one-year, $6MM deal. Ultimately, they preferred his experience and 55 career starts to Hall’s raw talent.

Hall started in 12 of his 16 games last year, finishing out with 26 tackles and 1.5 sacks from the interior. Head coach Jon Gruden ran the 2018 draft for the Raiders, but he didn’t feel that Hall was worth keeping two years later. Cutting Hall won’t save the Raiders a whole lot of cash – they’ll carry $750K in dead money with just $532K coming off of the books. However, Hall’s release will clear a roster spot for the Raiders as they work their way down to an 80-man roster and welcome running back Jeremy Hill.

Comment

Working...
                                X