No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock sucks. Seattle just became what Denver has been the past couple of seasons - a team with excellent weapons on offense and a shit QB. Denver's D is probably better than Seattle's at this point as well. I'll bet you Seattle takes a QB with one of those first round picks.

Comment

• Oh I agree. My point is if you go back before his draft, he was viewed, and had a better college career, then any of these QBs this year. I believe he was in the 2019 draft. It's 2022. That's about average in that they didn't draft another QB since because he was their "young development guy." If we draft one of these guys now, the better QBs next year are no longer viable to be drafted here. We have seen this play out time and time again and yet people forget.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Titans announce extension with Harold Landry

Posted by Charean Williams on March 8, 2022, 10:19 PM EST

Getty Images

The Titans announced the multi-year contract extension with outside linebacker Harold Landry.

Landry agreed to a five-year, $87.5 million contract, with $52.5 million guaranteed, according to a report by Adam Schefter of ESPN.

The Titans selected Landry in the second choice in 2018, and he made his first Pro Bowl in 2021 with 12 sacks. Landry also led the team with 14 tackles for loss and ranked second on the team with a career-best 49 quarterback pressures while finishing third on the team with 74 tackles.

He was scheduled to become a free agent next week.

In four seasons with the Titans, Landry has totaled 31 sacks, 66 quarterback hits and two interceptions.
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• <sigh>

Could Mitchell Trubisky’s future be with the Giants?

Posted by Charean Williams on March 8, 2022, 9:59 PM EST

Getty Images

Mitchell Trubisky is expected to have more choices during free agency than he had a year ago when he signed a one-year, $2.5 million deal to back up Josh Allen in Buffalo. This year, Trubisky will have a chance to compete for a starting job somewhere.

It could be the Giants.

Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports indicated in a report Tuesday that some in the league expect the Giants to sign Trubisky to compete with Daniel Jones. It makes sense given Trubisky’s offensive coordinator in Buffalo, Brian Daboll, now is the head coach of the Giants.

The Giants also hired a quarterbacks coach (Shea Tierney) and signed a backup quarterback (Davis Webb) from Buffalo.

Trubisky brought up the Giants unsolicited during ESPN reporter Adam Schefter’s podcast.

Josh is incredible,” Trubisky told Schefter, via Zack Rosenblatt of NJ Advance Media. “I had so much fun with Josh and really Davis Webb and our whole quarterback room. Learning from (Bills offensive coordinator) Ken Dorsey, Brian Daboll’s offense and Shea Tierney as well.”

Trubisky didn’t deny an interest in joining the Giants. He also talked about the possibility of joining the Saints, Steelers, Colts and Commanders.

“I think of coach Daboll right away just because of my connection with him right away in Buffalo,” Trubisky said. “I’m excited to see what he does in New York. I don’t know where I’m gonna go, but I know whatever he does there, he’s going to do a great job with that offense. He’s a great leader of men. He’s real and authentic with all the guys, and I think that’s why so many people respected him in our building. I’m excited to see what he’s going to do.

“And then of course, New York, you think of the city. I haven’t been to New York many times, but you think of big New York City and the Giants. I know coach Daboll will do a great job, and I’m excited to see that offense.”

Trubisky, 27, threw only eight passes for the Bills last year.

Comment

• Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

Russell Wilson will return to Seattle in 2022

Posted by Mike Florio on March 8, 2022, 7:45 PM EST

Getty Images

Russell Wilson may soon be gone, but he’ll be back. Soon.

The Seahawks’ home schedule for 2022 includes a visit from the Broncos. Instantly, Wilson’s return to Seattle will become one of the most intriguing and coveted games of the entire 272-game slate.

Wilson’s first year in Denver also will include, obviously, a pair of games against the Broncos’ trio of division rivals, pitting Wilson against the likes of Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert, and Derek Carr, whose job Wilson targeted last year when his agent listed the four teams to which Wilson would accept a trade. He’ll also face the other teams from his old division, the NFC West, with visits from the Cardinals and 49ers and a visit to the Rams.

Elsewhere in the AFC, Wilson will visit the Titans and Ravens and host the Colts.

It’s a compelling schedule, with plenty of games that undoubtedly will be televised to a large audience. The biggest audience surely will tune in when Wilson goes back to the place where he spent 10 years.

Comment

• A Diva and a Narcist.

Aaron Rodgers is once again playing word games

Posted by Mike Florio on March 8, 2022, 8:14 PM EST

Getty Images

Aaron Rodgers‘s penchant for precision in language became obvious last year, when he deliberately obfuscated his vaccination status by saying “yeah, I’ve been immunized” and playing gotcha with reporters who failed to ask a follow-up question premised on the possibility that Rodgers was playing word games regarding whether he’d gotten his shots. He clearly was playing word games.

He’s doing it again. His Twitter post announcing his plan to play for the Packers in 2022 quibbles with the notion that he “signed” a new contract, and with the report that it’s a four-year, $200 million deal.

“Hey everyone, just wanted to clear some things up; YES I will be playing with the [Packers] next year, however, reports about me signing a contract are inaccurate, as are the supposed terms of the contract I ‘signed.’ I’m very excited to be back,” Rodgers wrote.

First of all, no one reported that Rodgers actually “signed” the contract. Ian Rapoport of NFL Media (the first non-McAfee person to report the news) said that Rodgers “agreed to terms.” This means there’s a deal, but that the paperwork has yet to be signed. It’s not uncommon to say that a player has “agreed to terms” before he actually puts pen to paper. So his decision to take issue with the technicality that he hasn’t “signed” is technically inaccurate, because no one said he did.

Second, as to the terms of the agreement, there’s often an inaccuracy or two between the initial reports and the official terms. Reported as a four-year, $200 million contract, it’s apparently a four-year, $200 million extension, making it (perhaps) a five-year, $226.47 million contract. Or maybe there’s some other minor issue, a rounding error or whatever. Regardless, Rodgers got paid — and the details eventually will be precisely known.

Looking at it more broadly, WHY DOES HE CARE? He’s staying in Green Bay. Surely, he’s not staying without a new contract that reduces his $46.66 million cap number. Why does he have to be “that guy” and take issue with meaningless details?

It serves only to confuse Packers fans, who will now wonder whether truly he has agreed to remain with the team beyond 2022, and whether the team has secured any cap relief at all.

A cynic would say that Rodgers was simply looking for attention after having his decision to return leapfrogged by the news that the Broncos traded for Russell Wilson, along with the not-so-subtle suggestion that Wilson was Plan A, not Plan B, for Nathaniel Hackett’s new team. Regardless, it’s entirely possible that Rodgers can be both one of the great quarterbacks of all time and extremely petty. His decision to take issue with stupid details about his inevitable new deal with the Packers makes him the GOAT, when it comes to worrying about meaningless details.

Comment

• Bears tender Sam Mustipher, Jesper Horsted, Lachavious Simmons

Posted by Josh Alper on March 8, 2022, 6:52 PM EST

Getty Images

The Bears tendered three of their exclusive rights free agents with contracts on Tuesday.

Center Sam Mustipher, tight end Jesper Horsted, and tackle Lachavious Simmons are now left with the choice of accepting the Bears’ offer and playing for them this season or playing for no one. Once tendered, exclusive rights free agents are barred from negotiating with other teams.

Mustipher spent the 2019 season on the practice squad after going undrafted out of Notre Dame. He started seven games in 2020 and started every game last season.

Horsted only played six offensive snaps and caught two passes for 21 yards in his seven 2021 appearances, but both of them went for touchdowns. He also saw a lot of time on special teams.

Simmons appeared in two games and made one start last season.

Comment

• Deion Sanders has two toes amputated

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 8, 2022, 5:51 PM EST

Getty Images

Toe injuries have plagued Deion Sanders since his playing days, and after a series of setbacks and complications, he has now had to have two toes amputated.

Sanders, the Hall of Fame cornerback who is now the head coach at Jackson State, revealed today that he had to have the big toe and second toe on his left foot amputated.

The revelation came as part of a documentary series that Sanders is making with Barstool Sports. In it, Sanders said the complications from his surgery, which included blood clots and the collection of fluid in his foot, could have been even worse.

“They were talking about the amputation of toes,” said Sanders. “Then they were talking about the amputation of my leg from the knee down. Then, they were trying to ensure I had life.”

Sanders spent much of last season unable to walk and coaching from a cart on the sidelines.

Comment

• Wow, Mayhew… what are you doing! Seems like a big “W” for the Colts in this trade. Unload Wentz, your big mistake, and recover some of the lost draft capital.

Now what do the Colts do at QB… that’s the question…

AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• I apologize if this was previously posted. If we can stack 2 more years (and more hopefully) of drafting like this, we'll be in the biz.

Which NFL team had the best 2021 rookie class? The worst? Gennaro Filice and Nick Shook rank every single group, from No. 1 to No. 32, providing accompanying grades and analysis.

2021 NFL rookie grades: Ranking the classes, 1 to 32

Published: Feb 24, 2022 at 10:37 AM
                      by Gennaro Filice & Nick Shook

Rank 4
                      Detroit Lions
                      Class grade: A-

Round 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 7Notable Undrafted Free AgentFILICE: Remember how freakin' AMPED Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell were to select Sewell at No. 7 overall? Boisterous bro hugs, impassioned table slaps, full-throated WOOOOOOs that'd make Ric Flair proud -- that draft-night prospect call really had it all. And with Year 1 in the books, Detroit's new regime deserves a hearty slap on the back for the rookie class as a whole.

Of course, it wasn't smooth sailing from Day 1, even for the ballyhooed blocker who set off that war room eruption. Much like eventual Offensive Rookie of the Year winner Ja'Marr Chase, Sewell endured some early struggles. While the Bengals receiver had drop issues, the Lions tackle clearly didn't immediately feel comfortable in his transition to the right side of the line. But like Chase, Sewell eventually settled in to become a dominant force. One thing that appeared to help Sewell get out of his rut: Just before the season kicked off, Taylor Decker suffered a finger injury that landed him on injured reserve, allowing Sewell to return to the blind side for two months. But even after Decker's activation sent Sewell back to the right side, the rookie thrived. In his final eight games of the season, he allowed just one sack while continually blowing open holes in the ground game. And speaking of second-half surges, St. Brown's production exploded when the calendar flipped to December. Over the final six weeks of the season, the slot machine racked up the second-most catches in the entire NFL (51), behind only receiver triple-crown winner Cooper Kupp (53). Add in 560 yards (fourth-most) and five touchdowns (tied for second) during this span, and the 17th receiver selected in the 2021 draft suddenly became a fantasy league winner.

While some of the other picks in Rounds 2-4 experienced ups and downs (and injuries), McNeill was a player who offered strong potential on the nose -- 330-pounders aren't supposed to be that athletic. I mean, look at the big man's bend on this sack! And Holmes really did some fine work in the undrafted free-agent market, with a half dozen players providing Year 1 contributions. The two most notable names: Jacobs, who was the team's best cornerback before suffering an ACL tear in December, and Patterson, who settled the kicker position by converting 13 of 14 field goal attempts over the final seven weeks of the season.

Comment

• I just spoke with Tom Nowatzke (our company does business with his) who played for the Lions but won a championship with the Colts and he said the Colts are going to go for Jimmy G. Tom is a good man. Boy his hands are huge. I have big hands and his make mine look like Kenny Pickett hands
                        Last edited by Futureshock; March 10, 2022, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                          I just spoke with Tom Kowalski (our company does business with his) who played for the Lions but won a championship with the Colts and he said the Colts are going to go for Jimmy G. Tom is a good man. Boy his hands are huge. I have big hands and his make mine look like Kenny Pickett hands
                          Interesting.
                          Jimmy G does make sense based on the available trade options… unless the Colts like one of the questionable (Winston, Trubisky, Bridgewater, Mariota, Fitzmagic) free agent QBs.
                          No way the Texans trade Watson within the division to the Colts.
                          Colts don’t have the draft capital to move up for Pickett or Willis.

How about Colts trade for Jimmy G + draft a QB in RD 2 if they slip. Desmond Ridder? Sam Howell? Matt Corral? Could see it happening.
                          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                            Wow, Mayhew… what are you doing! Seems like a big “W” for the Colts in this trade. Unload Wentz, your big mistake, and recover some of the lost draft capital.

Now what do the Colts do at QB… that’s the question…

Mayhew and the Redskins make such a great combination. What a f’ing shit show that place is
                            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• The Redskins fucked around with Cousins when they should have just paid him the money.

Comment

• And meanwhile, Vikings fans are begging to be rid of Cousins.

It's like fans have learned absolutely NOTHING from the Matt Stafford story.

Comment

Working...
                                X