NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post

Those rooks are going to be well bedded in by the time they see the Lions for the first time. Even losing Barr for the season I think they'll be licking their chops to see DET after coming off 3 games against SEA, ATL and GB offenses. Lions offense will look slow and predictable compared to those 3 offenses. Don't do the FF thing anymore, but I'd consider MIN D for that game.
    Nope. Being A REAL ORGANIZATION that can THINK LONGTERM, they will let the Lions win to be ahead in the Trevor Lawrence Sweepstakes. {Read it again}

BTW, going against the Lions (with the opposite team's D) in FF is usually not a good thing. They put up enough points. Don't surrender enough sacks or TOs (reality? Yes. FF? No).
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Officials missed clear and obvious neutral zone infractions in Jaguars-Titans game

Posted by Mike Florio on September 24, 2020, 9:43 AM EDT

Getty Images

The NFL’s decision to focus only on “clear and obvious” fouls apparently doesn’t extend to neutral zone infractions.

The neutral zone is defined as, basically, the length of the football. Defenders can’t line up with their hands between the front and back of the ball.

Well, they can; the question is whether they’ll be caught when they do it.

On several occasions during Pittsburgh’s Week One win over the Giants, it appeared that linebacker T.J. Watt was lined up dangerously close to, if not smack dab in the middle of, the neutral zone. On two separate plays during crunch time of Sunday’s Jaguars-Titans game, Tennessee defensive end Jadeveon Clowney lined up clearly and obviously in the neutral zone.

The first instance came on a third and nine, with the game tied at 30. Clowney hurried Jacksonville quarterback Gardner Minshew, who threw an incompletion that forced a punt.

Then, after Tennessee took a 33-30 lead and with the Jaguars trying to get in position to force overtime (or in theory to win the game in regulation with a touchdown), Clowney lined up even farther beyond the point of the ball on a second and one play from the Jacksonville 45. Although he didn’t affect the play, a penalty would have wiped out a game-clinching interception, giving the Jaguars five yards and a first down.

If you have access to the NFL’s excellent Gamepass feature, go see it for yourself. The first one seems clear; the second one seems beyond obvious. And if fouls like this aren’t going to be called, then every edge rusher needs to take full advantage of the extra few inches that come from lining up in the neutral zone.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
        Officials missed clear and obvious neutral zone infractions in Jaguars-Titans game

Posted by Mike Florio on September 24, 2020, 9:43 AM EDT

Getty Images

The NFL’s decision to focus only on “clear and obvious” fouls apparently doesn’t extend to neutral zone infractions.

The neutral zone is defined as, basically, the length of the football. Defenders can’t line up with their hands between the front and back of the ball.

Well, they can; the question is whether they’ll be caught when they do it.

On several occasions during Pittsburgh’s Week One win over the Giants, it appeared that linebacker T.J. Watt was lined up dangerously close to, if not smack dab in the middle of, the neutral zone. On two separate plays during crunch time of Sunday’s Jaguars-Titans game, Tennessee defensive end Jadeveon Clowney lined up clearly and obviously in the neutral zone.

The first instance came on a third and nine, with the game tied at 30. Clowney hurried Jacksonville quarterback Gardner Minshew, who threw an incompletion that forced a punt.

Then, after Tennessee took a 33-30 lead and with the Jaguars trying to get in position to force overtime (or in theory to win the game in regulation with a touchdown), Clowney lined up even farther beyond the point of the ball on a second and one play from the Jacksonville 45. Although he didn’t affect the play, a penalty would have wiped out a game-clinching interception, giving the Jaguars five yards and a first down.

If you have access to the NFL’s excellent Gamepass feature, go see it for yourself. The first one seems clear; the second one seems beyond obvious. And if fouls like this aren’t going to be called, then every edge rusher needs to take full advantage of the extra few inches that come from lining up in the neutral zone.
        I see this all the time. They never call it.
        GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post

I see this all the time. They never call it.
          Me too and I'm glad to hear it's not just me. Thought I was seeing things.

Comment

• NFL season off to highest-scoring start ever

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 23, 2020, 5:04 PM EDT

Getty Images

More points and more touchdowns have been scored in the first two weeks of this season than in any opening two weeks in NFL history.

So far this season, NFL teams have scored a combined 1,611 points. That breaks the previous record of 1,556 points scored in the first two weeks of the 2012 NFL season. Over 32 games, that works out to 1.7 points per game higher than the previous record.

NFL teams have also scored a combined 186 touchdowns this season. That breaks the previous record of 174 touchdowns scored in the first two weeks of the 2018 season.

It appears that after this most unusual of offseasons, with no preseason and limited time at team facilities because of the COVID-19 pandemic, NFL offenses are ahead of defenses. It also helps that NFL officials have been calling fewer penalties, particularly offensive holding penalties.

Fans tend to prefer higher-scoring games, so there will be few complaints if scoring records continue to fall.

Comment

Nope. Being A REAL ORGANIZATION that can THINK LONGTERM, they will let the Lions win to be ahead in the Trevor Lawrence Sweepstakes. {Read it again}

BTW, going against the Lions (with the opposite team's D) in FF is usually not a good thing. They put up enough points. Don't surrender enough sacks or TOs (reality? Yes. FF? No).
              They can try to tank all they want, the Lions will still find a way to lose - it's what they do.
              DB to coach, shit I'm sorry coach but I couldn't help it - Stafford hit me with the perfect pass and these Jack Tatum specials I'm wearing wouldn't let me drop it....
              Coach to DB, Thats ok, DET is going to re-sign Stafford anyway so we still are in the Tank for Trevor sweepstakes - but don't let that happen again.

Comment

• Mike Leach’s air raid goes into Baton Rouge and puts up over 600 yards of passing in the SEC. Arizona playing well in this system.

Maybe time the air raid offense got more respect from the NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post
                  Maybe time the air raid offense got more respect from the NFL.
                  Just rubbing salt in the wound when it comes to the Detroit Lions today.
                  Lions about to be lit up by Kliff Kingsbury’s air raid offense. Kingsbury, who played under Mike Leach!
                  AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• I always liked the idea of the air raid in the NFL. The NFL can be too conservative sometimes and has to be dragged kicking and screaming into adopting successful college principles.

I’d happily take an air raid HC or OC in Detroit. It’s still in the early adoption phase for the league although there has been a proliferation of a lot of the concepts.

Comment

• Report: Texans closing in on deal with Earl Thomas

Posted by Charean Williams on September 28, 2020, 9:00 PM EDT

Getty Images

It appears Earl Thomas is returning home.

The Pro Bowl safety, who told then-Cowboys coach Jason Garrett to “come get me,” is closing in on signing with the Texans after working out for them, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

Thomas grew up in Orange, Texas, which is 118 miles from NRG Stadium.

The Ravens released the seven-time Pro Bowler on Aug. 23 after Thomas’ practice field altercation with Chuck Clark.

The Texans need a replacement for safety A.J. Moore, who went on injured reserve Monday with a hamstring injury.

Houston has yet to make an interception, one of only three teams not to have one through three weeks. Thomas has 30 interceptions since he entered the NFL in 2010.

Comment

• Jaguars release Timmy Jernigan, sign Aldrick Rosas to practice squad

Posted by Josh Alper on September 28, 2020, 3:52 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Jaguars doubled down on kicker additions Monday.

Reports early in the day had them signing Stephen Hauschka to the active roster ad the team confirmed that move in an announcement on Monday afternoon. They also announced that they have signed former Giant Aldrick Rosas to their practice squad.

The Jaguars place Josh Lambo on injured reserve before last Thursday’s loss to the Dolphins and saw Brandon Wright suffer a groin injury in that game. Rosas was released by the Giants after being arrested for leaving the scene of a car accident. He recently pleaded no contest to three charges and was sentenced to three years of probation.

Wright was waived with an injury designation in one of a series of other moves the Jags made on Monday. They also placed linebacker Leon Jacobs on injured reserve and released defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan. Jernigan had one tackle while playing 54 snaps in three games and Jacobs suffered a knee injury last Thursday.

Jacksonville promoted defensive tackle Daniel Ekuale to the active roster, so they have one more spot on their 53-man roster to fill.

Comment

• Cardinals may look into playing Isaiah Simmons at safety

Posted by Josh Alper on September 28, 2020, 3:36 PM EDT

Getty Images

In the weeks leading up to the draft, there was a lot of discussion about the versatile skill set that Isaiah Simmons would bring to his team after playing multiple positions at Clemson.

The Cardinals have started Simmons out at linebacker, but they may be shifting his responsibilities in the near future. Budda Baker is set to miss time after having thumb surgery and Chris Banjo has a hamstring injury, which has left the Cardinals short on safeties at the moment.

As a result, head coach Kliff Kingsbury said on Monday, via Darren Urban of the team’s website, that “we may have to look into” giving Simmons time at safety to help alleviate the shortage.

Simmons may not be the only option under consideration. John Gambadoro of Arizona Sports 98.7 reports that the team will have veteran Tony Jefferson in for a visit and workout. He spent the first four years of his career with the Cardinals before moving on to Baltimore. He tore his ACL five games into the 2019 season and was released in February.

Comment

• Should have took Tua or Hebert but the cheese was too much to pass on.

Ron Rivera acknowledges there is a “cutoff point” for Dwayne Haskins

Posted by Mike Florio on September 28, 2020, 12:03 PM EDT

Getty Images

Things can change very quickly in the NFL. Two weeks ago, Washington quarterback Dwayne Haskins was being praised for his leadership. Now, he’s in grave danger of being benched.

Just yesterday, after a 34-20 loss to the Browns, Washington coach Ron Rivera said he’s “not going to pull the plug” on Haskins. On Monday, however, Rivera made it clear that the plug won’t permanently remain in the holes.

Via multiple reports, Rivera admitted in a Monday press conference that “there is a cutoff point” at which Haskins won’t be the quarterback, and that the players on offense “”deserve better” from their quarterback.

Haskins had three interceptions and two fumbles (one lost) on Sunday, and through three games his passing numbers are down from last year (completion percentage, yards per attempt, and passer rating). Kyle Allen, who played fairly well for Rivera with the Panthers in 2019, remains available — as does Disney-movie-in-waiting Alex Smith, who played very well for Washington before a broken leg and ensuing infection that should have ended his career, and that could have ended his life.

With three wild-card spots available and three underachieving rivals in the NFC East, Washington at 1-2 remains very much alive. The question is whether, if Haskins doesn’t improve, Rivera will pull the plug on the quarterback before the plug as a practical matter gets pulled on the season.

Comment

Should have took Tua or Hebert but the cheese was too much to pass on.

Ron Rivera acknowledges there is a “cutoff point” for Dwayne Haskins

Posted by Mike Florio on September 28, 2020, 12:03 PM EDT

Getty Images

Things can change very quickly in the NFL. Two weeks ago, Washington quarterback Dwayne Haskins was being praised for his leadership. Now, he’s in grave danger of being benched.

Just yesterday, after a 34-20 loss to the Browns, Washington coach Ron Rivera said he’s “not going to pull the plug” on Haskins. On Monday, however, Rivera made it clear that the plug won’t permanently remain in the holes.

Via multiple reports, Rivera admitted in a Monday press conference that “there is a cutoff point” at which Haskins won’t be the quarterback, and that the players on offense “”deserve better” from their quarterback.

Haskins had three interceptions and two fumbles (one lost) on Sunday, and through three games his passing numbers are down from last year (completion percentage, yards per attempt, and passer rating). Kyle Allen, who played fairly well for Rivera with the Panthers in 2019, remains available — as does Disney-movie-in-waiting Alex Smith, who played very well for Washington before a broken leg and ensuing infection that should have ended his career, and that could have ended his life.

With three wild-card spots available and three underachieving rivals in the NFC East, Washington at 1-2 remains very much alive. The question is whether, if Haskins doesn’t improve, Rivera will pull the plug on the quarterback before the plug as a practical matter gets pulled on the season.
                              IMO they did the right thing taking Chase, no matter how Haskins plays out
                              WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Haskins is the worst starting QB in the NFL. Absolute trash.

Comment

Working...
                                X