X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Le’Veon Bell says he smoked marijuana before games

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 29, 2023, 5:10 AM EDT

Getty Images

Former NFL running back Le’Veon Bell says he smoked marijuana before playing in games.

Bell said on the “Steel Here” podcast that he had some of his best games while under the influence of marijuana.

“Looking back on this, that’s what I did,” Bell said, via ESPN. “When I was playing football, I smoked, bro. Even before the games, I’d smoke and I’d go out there and run for 150, two [touchdowns].”

When Bell was playing, both the law and the NFL were more harsh about marijuana use than they are now, and Bell got in trouble multiple times. In 2014 he was arrested for marijuana possession in the suburbs of Pittsburgh and was later put on probation. He also reportedly missed several NFL drug tests and was repeatedly pulled off the practice field and required to submit urine tests.

That didn’t prevent him from having a good NFL career in which he was twice a first-team All-Pro during his five years with the Steelers. He later played for the Jets and then briefly for the Chiefs, Ravens and Buccaneers. He refers to himself as not officially retired, but he didn’t play in 2022 and it’s safe to say his playing days are done.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Brian Flores wants Vikings’ defense to develop an identity as aggressive but not reckless

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 28, 2023, 5:01 AM EDT

Getty Images

In his first few months as the Vikings’ defensive coordinator, Brian Flores has been at work explaining to his players what kind of identity he wants his defense to have.

“I think building an identity is a big part of playing defense,” Flores said, via the St. Paul Pioneer Press. “I try to impart that to our players. That happens over time. Every time we step on the practice field, it’s ‘What is our identity? What are people going to say about us? What do we want it to look like?’”

So what does Flores want that defense to look like?

“I think they understand my nature as far as wanting to be aggressive but not reckless,” Flores said.

Flores indicated that he has liked what he has seen from players during Organized Team Activities, but he also indicated that as long as practices are non-contact, the Vikings’ defensive identity can’t be established.

“It’s hard to do that in this setting because so much of the game is physical,” Flores said. “We’re kind of forecasting based on what we’ve seen. That’s part of it too. We have to forecast. The final decisions of what we’re going to be are going to be made down the road.”

Although Flores has had a number of defensive assistant jobs and spent three years as head coach of the Dolphins, this is the first time he has been a defensive coordinator. He’ll be establishing his own identity as a coordinator just as the defense establishes its identity.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
        Le’Veon Bell says he smoked marijuana before games

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 29, 2023, 5:10 AM EDT

Getty Images

Former NFL running back Le’Veon Bell says he smoked marijuana before playing in games.

Bell said on the “Steel Here” podcast that he had some of his best games while under the influence of marijuana.

“Looking back on this, that’s what I did,” Bell said, via ESPN. “When I was playing football, I smoked, bro. Even before the games, I’d smoke and I’d go out there and run for 150, two [touchdowns].”

When Bell was playing, both the law and the NFL were more harsh about marijuana use than they are now, and Bell got in trouble multiple times. In 2014 he was arrested for marijuana possession in the suburbs of Pittsburgh and was later put on probation. He also reportedly missed several NFL drug tests and was repeatedly pulled off the practice field and required to submit urine tests.

That didn’t prevent him from having a good NFL career in which he was twice a first-team All-Pro during his five years with the Steelers. He later played for the Jets and then briefly for the Chiefs, Ravens and Buccaneers. He refers to himself as not officially retired, but he didn’t play in 2022 and it’s safe to say his playing days are done.
        You just might as well retire now. No one is bringing you back bro
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Rumors swirling that Hopkins will be going to NE. I wouldn’t have put any money on that one
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• No, I didn’t see it coming if that happens. I would have assumed Hopkins has a grudge against Bill O’Brien after that dumbassed trade. Maybe that’s wrong…

Patriots need Hopkins if they’re going to compete in that tough division.
            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• The Pats are done. They're 100% reminiscent of the Red Wings trying to keep their playoff streak going. Hopkins won't move the needle. They need to blow it up and start over but that would put a dent in BB's win total and that's not something he cares about doing.
              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Leveon Bell bragging about smoking pot before games isnt exactly smart considering how his career turned out.....Went from a star player to a journeyman backup.

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post
                  Leveon Bell bragging about smoking pot before games isnt exactly smart considering how his career turned out.....Went from a star player to a journeyman backup.
                  Bell's issue had nothing to do with weed. It had to do with a player more focused on money than the game and once he had that real pay day he was rusty and didn't have anything to focus on because he got that one big pay day thats really the most any RB could hope for and that was enough for him.
                  AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Maybe he just ran up against being a running back in the NFL. You get about 4 or 5 years of heavy usage and that's it.

Comment

• I’d prob say it was a bit of both. Bell was a heavy usage RB but he still had a few good years of elite play. I think once they mentally checkout the game and their bodies pass it up.

Both Bell and the Steelers were dumb for that divorce.
                      F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• From the FWIW department

I was bored this afternoon and watched a bit of Superbowls 3 and 13 on the NFL network.

Holy shit! The game was fucking brutal. If modern day players played by those rules you would see very few QBs last a season.
                        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Ed Oliver was extended with a healthy contract. There goes that trade possibility.
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Water is wet.
                            Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Word on the street is that Dalvin Cook will be cut or traded as a salary cap move. The Lions couldn’t have found their rhythm at a more perfect time. Fields is terrible, Erin was traded and Minny is capped out having to break up the band
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Also, fuck the packers!!!!
                                Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

Working...
                                X