No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait. Can NFL contracts be that long? I thought 6-7 years was the max?
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• EXTENSIONS can be however long both sides want them to be, as far as I am aware. It's generally teams that don't want to commit those sort of years. 10 years is a long time for a player to be on your payroll.

Comment

• Brett Favre signed a 10 year contract in Green Bay.

Comment

• If he doesn't get hurt, they got a steal, although like you guys said, he could demand more if the bar keeps rising on salaries.
          WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• $140 million guaranteed. To be honest, he probably could've gotten that guarantee over less years. The Chiefs win here ... obviously unless he gets hurt

Comment

• Yeah, but some of these guaranteed triggers are such gimmes that they're money in the bank for him.

Plus, it looks like HE gets an out at any time certain triggers aren't met; so the Chiefs won't be compelled to fudge his playing time to keep him under certain thresholds.

It's a much better deal for him than you might think.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                Yeah, but some of these guaranteed triggers are such gimmes that they're money in the bank for him.

Plus, it looks like HE gets an out at any time certain triggers aren't met; so the Chiefs won't be compelled to fudge his playing time to keep him under certain thresholds.

It's a much better deal for him than you might think.
                I believe ya

Comment

• The Most Expensive Players Ranked by Remaining Contract Value

July 5, 2020 by Jason Fitzgerald
                  Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Raiders Enter Jadeveon Clowney Mix

July 6th, 2020 at 4:14pm CST by Sam Robinson

Add another team to the fluid Jadeveon Clowney sweepstakes. The Raiders have made an offer to the free agent edge defender, per The Athletic’s Vic Tafur and Tashan Reed (subscription required).

While the Raiders are interested in the former Texans and Seahawks starter, they are believed to be in a “distant third place.” It is unclear the teams in front of them, but based on the Seahawks and Browns being the only teams connected with Clowney offers, they would add up as the leaders. Cecil Lammey of 104.3 The Fan was the first to report of the Raiders’ Clowney proposal (on Twitter).

Jon Gruden looks to be driving the bus for Clowney in Las Vegas, per Lammey. The Raiders used first- and fourth-round picks to address their defensive end spots last year — in Clelin Ferrell and Maxx Crosby — and have 2018 third-rounder Arden Key and recent free agency addition Carl Nassib set to be role players in this group as well. A three-time Pro Bowler, Clowney profiles as a higher-end talent — even though his sack numbers (32 in six seasons, including just three in 2019) do not match his reputation.

The Browns and Seahawks have both pitched Clowney deals worth around $15MM. Clowney is believed to be on the fence regarding a Cleveland stay, but he has not ruled it out. And the Browns have multiyear and one-year proposals still on the table. It is not known if the Seahawks’ reported offer is still out there, but given Seattle’s pass-rushing depth chart, it would make sense if the team were still trying to bring Clowney back.

Comment

• NFL, NFLPA reach agreement on team travel protocol for training camp and preseason

Posted by Mike Florio on July 7, 2020, 6:42 PM EDT

Getty Images

The league and the union have plenty of issues to resolve before camp starts. They have one fewer area of disagreement.

The NFL and NFL Players Association have reached an agreement regarding team travel protocols for 2020 training camp and preseason. The document implies strongly that there will be a preseason; however, it does not expressly state that preseason games will be played. (Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the length of the preseason is still being discussed.)

The sections of the detailed protocols focus on the rules for traveling by plane and bus, PPE use, disinfection of hotel rooms, airlines, buses, equipment, and luggage, rules for hotel employees and bus drivers, food service standards, and physical distancing requirements. The protocols also allow for discipline to be imposed in the event that club employees knowingly and materially fail to follow the protocols.

Highlights include mandatory masks for all members of the traveling party, limitations on the size of the traveling party (no more than 110 non-players), and no buffets.

The eight-page document illustrates how unusual the 2020 season will be, and travel is just one aspect of it.

Comment

• Report: NFL asks for 35 percent of player salaries to be placed in escrow

Posted by Mike Florio on July 7, 2020, 6:28 PM EDT

Comment

• GOING DEEPRanking NFL Offenses By Analytics Usage

July 9, 2020, 3:13 am ET
                          Hayden Winks looks at fourth down aggressiveness, situational pass rates, pre-snap motion, and other metrics to see which coaches use analytics most.

Tier 4: Behind The Curve

18. Lions (OC Darrell Bevell)

4th Down Aggressiveness: 28th

Pass Rate on Early Downs: 26th

Pass Rate While Trailing: 9th

Play-Action Rate: 19th

Downfield Pass Rate: 7th

Middle of the Field Pass Rate: 10th

Pre-Snap Motion Percentage: 15th

Outside Run Rate: 10th

Shotgun Run Rate: 18th

Offensive Pace: 10th

There’s a divide with this 18th overall ranking. If I was only ranking head coaches, Matt Patricia would rank near the bottom. He’s awful with fourth down decision making (28th) and his pencil in the ear isn’t fooling me into thinking he’s some brainiac. Luckily, Patricia has an aggressive offensive coordinator in Darrell Bevell, who loved to sling the ball downfield (7th) particularly when he had Matthew Stafford in the starting lineup. Assuming Stafford’s back is fine, the Lions should continue to stress defenses with an aerial attack, one that finished above average in middle of the field pass rate (10th) and offensive pace (10th). Hopefully the addition of D’Andre Swift doesn’t take the ball out of Stafford’s hand on early downs more than it already was through 10 weeks last season when the Lions were 20th in early-down pass rate.

Comment

• https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles...s-destinations

3 POTENTIAL TRADE DESTINATIONS FOR LE'VEON BELL

BY: ALEXIS MANSANAREZ JULY 9TH, 2020 THE DRAFT NETWORK

DETROIT LIONS

The Lions need all the help they can get while coach Matt Patricia and general manager Bob Quinn are on their respective hot seats. Detroit is coming off its second consecutive losing season and third straight without a playoff appearance. They managed to put up just three wins in 2019.

While the Lions’ struggles extend beyond their running back room, adding Bell would help their chances to, at least, return to the postseason. Quarterback Matthew Stafford is now healthy, which will help the passing game tremendously. With no true frontrunner in the NFC North, Detroit can help improve its offense by adding an experienced back like Bell. The Lions have Kerryon Johnson, who is entering his third year but has yet to play a full NFL season, and just selected D'Andre Swift in the second round of the 2020 NFL Draft. If Patricia wants to continue his committee approach, Bell’s experience and production would be more than helpful.

Comment

• Fake account retracts Raheem Mostert trade request

Posted by Mike Florio on July 9, 2020, 5:30 PM EDT

Getty Images

On Wednesday, agent Brett Tessler tweeted that 49ers running back Raheem Mostert has asked for a trade. On Thursday, a fake account created by someone posing as Tessler retracted the request.

“After recent backlash from yesterday’s trade request, me and my client @RMos_8Ball are rescinding our trade request from the San Francisco 49ers. San Francisco is the best place for Mostert to be and I failed to realize that,” said the phony account.

Contacted by PFT, Tessler said that he has not rescinded the trade request, and that the trade request still stands.

So what happened? It’s a simple ruse. The imposter account replaces the “L” in “TesslerSports” with a capital “I”. Voila. Fake account.

Give it a look . . . real TesslerSports account with lower-case “L” is here. Fake TesslerSports account with upper-case “I” is here.

The trade request comes from the real account. The retraction comes from the fake account.

Comment

• 8-9 mil a year for Bell is a steal if he plays at his past level. I know the Jets offense lacked in talent besides him and I do believe he can bounce back but I'd rather be spending on defense than take the risk.

Comment

Working...
                                X