No announcement yet.

Detroit Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Madden pick seems like a helluva steal. Is anyone else worried about the Jobe pick. Picking a HS pitcher @ #3 doesn’t seem to workout so well.
    Last edited by jaadam4; July 13, 2021, 05:04 AM.
    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
      That Madden pick seems like a helluva steal. Is anyone else worried about the Jobe pick. Picking a HS pitcher @ #3 doesn’t seem to workout so well.
      You always worry about HS pitchers. So much can go wrong. Before Covid 19 in the 2019 MLB Draft...Quinn Priester was selected (#14 overall by Pittsburgh) he was at the Futures game on Sunday.
      2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• It's risky. Simple as that.

Trying to remain optimistic by thinking:
        - Drafting Jobe at the under-slot deal allowed the Tigers to draft higher ranked prospects like Ty Madden (#9th ranked MLB Pipeline prospect) at #32 and Izaac Pacheco (#30th ranked MLB Pipeline prospect) at #39.
        - Tigers passed on top tier SS prospects when SS is a weak spot in their system. MAYBE this means the Tigers are planning on signing FA Corey Seager, Carlos Correa, or Trevor Story.
        - Jobe doesn't suffer an injury that appears to be likely for HS P prospects.

BUT we are in year 5 of this rebuild. My patience is waning. Avila doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to making a "smartest man in the room" draft pick. (AKA Quinntricia)
        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Swing for the fences is a fine approach as long as you are spending at the big league level.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
            Swing for the fences is a fine approach as long as you are spending at the big league level.
            The time, sadly, just isn't right yet, Froot. You just gotta believe!

Comment

That Madden pick seems like a helluva steal. Is anyone else worried about the Jobe pick. Picking a HS pitcher @ #3 doesn’t seem to workout so well.
              HS pitchers (and even position players) usually aren't even relevant until they have spent 3-4 years in the system anyway. Rare is the Rick Ankiel type - who sees the show before he turns 20, and at 20 logs a full season. Teams are so hesitant to start that antiquated "service clock" - they usually lose 1-2 years on guys careers.

Comment

• Then there's Jeremy Bonderman ... ps I have no point
                Last edited by Forsh; July 16, 2021, 01:49 AM.
                WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Originally posted by Forsh View Post
                  Then there's Jeremy Bonderman ... ps I have no point
                  I haven’t heard that name in awhile. Bondo was a nice pitcher for us for a stretch.
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

I haven’t heard that name in awhile. Bondo was a nice pitcher for us for a stretch.
                    A byproduct of the trade in Moneyball. "Get Dave Dombrowski on the line......."

Comment

• Watching Phil Coke root for the Tigers tonight was fun. Tigers have been watchable lately, I have to admit.
                      #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Saw that. Pretty cool moment.
                        I might watch more often if the 7th inning stretch turned into random former Tigers trying to pump up the crowd. Don Kelly, Omar Infante, and Ryan Raburn-like players.

Tigers have been better after the disaster start in May. A lot of retooling with the roster. Hopefully it’s for the better heading into next season.
                        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                          Saw that. Pretty cool moment.
                          I might watch more often if the 7th inning stretch turned into random former Tigers trying to pump up the crowd. Don Kelly, Omar Infante, and Ryan Raburn-like players.

Tigers have been better after the disaster start in May. A lot of retooling with the roster. Hopefully it’s for the better heading into next season.
                          Gonna depend a whole lot on if Chris I. actually means it about spending when the time is right. They seem to be reaching that point real quick, but if he expects to produce a competitive roster on the $82 million budget he's been enforcing, he's either (A) lying to us or (B) lying to himself.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

Gonna depend a whole lot on if Chris I. actually means it about spending when the time is right. They seem to be reaching that point real quick, but if he expects to produce a competitive roster on the $82 million budget he's been enforcing, he's either (A) lying to us or (B) lying to himself.
                            I think he does mean it because of one reason. His father desperately wanted a World Series trophy above everything else. I don't think Chris I. sees the Tigers as like a community team that his dad did. But I do think when the time comes (and I suspect they add a big piece maybe two this winter in FA) he will spend. I don't think he will spend at his father's levels (daddy pushed $200 million for a couple years) and just a guess it will be around 150-160 million usually.

But to win a World Series, that would bring some closure knowing that his father would be smiling down on him even though he could not be in person to see the dream fulfilled.
                            2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Well, we'll see. I believe the "time is right" will be something perpetually just over the horizon. Chris I. will always find a reason to keep payroll very, very low. Because he's a greedy cheapskate and always will be. Hell, he's even running the Red Wings on the cheap.

Comment

• I'm slowing coming on board with Chem and Froot on this.
                                Especially Chem's comment below about perpetually just over the horizon - that was the trigger for me when I look at this roster and the system as a whole.
                                At the earliest I'd expect the Tigers to try to add a big piece is when they can buy out the remainder of Cabrera's dead weight contract and flip it for something better - not throw money on top of a dead weight contract like that.
                                That means 2023-2024 - and if there is nothing to build off of to get a big piece to even want to come - then there lies the perpetuality Chem mentions.
                                Then you see arbitration eligible guys getting flipped instead of paid - and you are back to square 1.

Comment

Working...
                                X