Detroit Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post

Jones has had 1002 PAs in his major league career. He doesn't walk, strikes out WAY too much for his decent power. Yes, he does have good defense in CF and okay enough speed (as far as steals go). He has yet to post an average OPS+ season (last year was 92 which was far and away the best season). He is in his age 28 season, so he is what he is right now. At best a below average offensive player that is a good defender. That is a major league player but one that comes off the bench as a 4th or 5th OF for a contender.

I would use him as a sometimes starter, defensive replacement/pinch runner.

Victor Reyes, OTOH, has shown offensive improvement. He is not the defender that Jones is but can make most plays in CF (he is better in a corner though). In his age 25 season he has more upside than Jones. A switch hitter than shows an ability to get on base and work the count some. He could walk more though. I like him in the two hole most days hitting behind Maybin.
    You're probably right, but Jones' OPS has gone up (horrible to begin with, of course) over 100 points in each of the last 3 seasons (.510 to .630 to .740 ... and ridiculously early sure to regress at 1.367 this season). To basically guarantee that he's peaked is possible but ... presumptuous
    Last edited by Forsh; July 31, 2020, 12:57 PM.
    WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• I think he’s an AAAA fringe type.

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post
        Jones, Reyes, Stewart, Maybin...really the entire outfield isn't good enough....Jones could stick as a 4th or 5th OF but the starters need to be much better if the Tigers are ever going to contend.
        What he said
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post
          Jones, Reyes, Stewart, Maybin...really the entire outfield isn't good enough....Jones could stick as a 4th or 5th OF but the starters need to be much better if the Tigers are ever going to contend.
          No doubt. That is why you really have to play with strengths. I don't think the Tigers lineup is good enough carry Jones once he gets off this hot streak. Stewart is going to be a guy that lengthens the lineup. He has lefty power and that is something the Tigers desperately need. Maybin and Reyes get on base and has a bit of pop and some speed.

I think Reyes and Stewart might have a future on the next contending Tigers team. Ideally Stewart is a guy that hits 6th or 7th in a contending lineup. Reyes to me is more a top of the order guy not a leadoff one but a guy that is a solid #2 guy.
          2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• If an OPS (possibly well) over .700 with speed and great defense in center field can't play everyday ... I guess the Tigers are better than I thought. The other guys sound ok ... so I guess if Jones cools off huge then whatever
            Last edited by Forsh; August 1, 2020, 01:02 AM.

Comment

• 3-0 Reds on 2 Castellanos bombs ... interesting

Comment

• Originally posted by Forsh View Post
                3-0 Reds on 2 Castellanos bombs ... interesting
                Guy needed to leave, for both his sake and the organizations.
                You can't measure a player you had on what another organization does with that player.
                All you can see is that our organization was too blind and was never going to get that out of that player.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post

Guy needed to leave, for both his sake and the organizations.
                  You can't measure a player you had on what another organization does with that player.
                  All you can see is that our organization was too blind and was never going to get that out of that player.
                  Nick C could have been a productive DH and 1B split with Cabrera as he aged but we were stuck paying a 40 year old DH blocking the position
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

Nick C could have been a productive DH and 1B split with Cabrera as he aged but we were stuck paying a 40 year old DH blocking the position
                    When it became obvious Miggy was limited to DH last year, the Tigers approached him about learning and playing 1b. He refused.
                    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Tigers four games with the Cardinals have been canceled due to the Cardinals covid 19 outbreak.

Comment

• Tigers have played 10 games, marlins and phillies have played 3....Tigers now get 4 games cancelled...I don't see this season even coming close to a finish.

Comment

• Tigers are 9-5 right now.

james franco wtf GIF

Just on track to get to my 25-35 prediction because obviously they go 16-20 for the rest of the season.
                          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Did you watch the game? Norris made an impressive play just as Cron was getting injured. :( Sucks to lose his bat.

And how about JaCoby for the inside-the-park homerun!!! Fun stuff!!
                            #birdsarentreal

Comment

• 0-5 since the Cron injury.

Oh well, at least this news was dropped today. SP has been garbage outside of Turnbull.

AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Holy shit, that’s awesome. I wasn’t expecting this. I’m always cool with bringing up pitchers, though. They only have so many bullets.

Comment

Working...
                                X