No announcement yet.

Detroit Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best case scenario, this Tigers rebuild turns into the recent Padres rebuild. Absolute best base.
    Padres hired a new GM before 2015. They were bad/ mediocre for 5 straight seasons (2015 to 2019). Signed Machado to a big deal in 2019 and were armed with a few young pros coming up the farm system.
    Year 6? Year 7? A winner.

2022 will be year 6.
    I believe in Hinch. Appears to be a few building blocks with the big league roster heading into 2022. Win me over by actually signing Story, Seager, or Correa. Be a HIT this time. No Zimmerman/ Upton 2.0 nonsense.
    Avila/ Chris will look extremely foolish (if not already) IF 2022 is not a winning season.
    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Hinch seems like he is doing OK, the team stinks but it is not embarrassing themselves anymore after that embarrassing April.

Comment

• This is how a rebuild works. They are not pushovers anymore.

Correa seems like the guy with the Hinch connection. A lot of smoke there.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          You also keep on bringing up contracts like MLB teams are making 100 million dollars. They pull in 250 million a year and they are spending less than a 100.million. It seems like you have this misguided notion that all the profits being saved by Chris Ilitch will be reinvested once the time is right.
          There is only 1 number that matters - operating income.
          2016: -36 million
          2017: -48 million
          2018: +19 million
          2019: +30 million
          2020: Covid year

You don't run a business bleeding like that (2016-17) unless you are at the point in your life where you don't care because you know you aren't taking that money with you (Mike). For everyone else, you stop the bleeding, consolidate and then look to spend again.

Going forward (2022 and beyond)? I agree with you.
          Going into this year? Spending would have been pretty stupid.

Comment

• This thread is like Groundhog day. Its the same discussion over and over.
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
              This is how a rebuild works. They are not pushovers anymore.

Correa seems like the guy with the Hinch connection. A lot of smoke there.
              I have said a few times. I really like the idea of adding Correa and JV this offseason. To have two years of JV taking Mize, Skubal and Manning under his wing would be amazing and I still think JV is going to be a near ace level after TJ. Correa fills a huge need for them at SS.

Someone mentioned SD a few posts up.

SD signed Hosmer to a big deal then extended Myers before grabbing Machado.
              2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• All that is wonderful and all.

Too bad it's not going to matter when Chris Ilitch (through Avila) calmly explains to the fanbase that the time just isn't quite right this offseason and you should all be just a little more patient.
                Last edited by chemiclord; July 20, 2021, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post

There is only 1 number that matters - operating income.
                  2016: -36 million
                  2017: -48 million
                  2018: +19 million
                  2019: +30 million
                  2020: Covid year

You don't run a business bleeding like that (2016-17) unless you are at the point in your life where you don't care because you know you aren't taking that money with you (Mike). For everyone else, you stop the bleeding, consolidate and then look to spend again.

Going forward (2022 and beyond)? I agree with you.
                  Going into this year? Spending would have been pretty stupid.
                  I don't disagree that the COVID year probably should have out a pause in spending. But at the same time almost every team has the same outlook, that means it is a buyer's market. You can get hopefully get some bargains in the near future.

I'd be careful about using operating profit as hard facts. The operating profit between the Tigers and Olympia entertainment has always been a little suspect, especially when Chris Ilitch is in charge.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                    This thread is like Groundhog day. Its the same discussion over and over.
                    Yep, that's what happens when you have been rebuilding since 2015.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                      All that is wonderful and all.

Too bad it's not going to matter when Chris Ilitch (through Avila) calmly explains to the fanbase that the time just isn't quite right this offseason and you should all be just a little more patient.
                      Do you think Ilitch and Avila go and sign AJ Hinch (and that Hinch signs with the Tigers) if they have no intentions of spending ever?
                      2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post

Do you think Ilitch and Avila go and sign AJ Hinch (and that Hinch signs with the Tigers) if they have no intentions of spending ever?
                        Simply put? Yes.

Hinch was a fairly inexpensive way to look like Chris I. has some intention of putting together a competitive team without... ya know... actually having to put together a competitive team. If he can dupe some more rubes into showing up without having to actually invest in the franchise, why wouldn't he do it?

Let me flip it around on you, why do you think Ilitch has any intention of seriously spending if he happily keeps extending Avila's employment? The answer, finding a more competent GM would cost money, money that he doesn't have to spend because the average Tigers fan is likely barely aware that Avila even exists.
                        Last edited by chemiclord; July 21, 2021, 09:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

Simply put? Yes.

Hinch was a fairly inexpensive way to look like Chris I. has some intention of putting together a competitive team without... ya know... actually having to put together a competitive team. If he can dupe some more rubes into showing up without having to actually invest in the franchise, why wouldn't he do it?

Let me flip it around on you, why do you think Ilitch has any intention of seriously spending if he happily keeps extending Avila's employment? The answer, finding a more competent GM would cost money, money that he doesn't have to spend because the average Tigers fan is likely barely aware that Avila even exists.
                          So you think they duped Hinch then or they told him they were not going to spend and he signed anyways?

Avila has been extended once in his tenure. Right in the middle of the rebuild. Again Mike Ilitch signed off on going down this road. You don't start down that course and midway through decide you know what--even though it is starting to bear fruit on the farm---let's chuck this and go out and sign everyone

Once that MLB started slotting draft money and giving penalties to going over---the quick rebuild of a farm system (ie paying millions for guys when other teams were not going to) was impossible. Detroit's willingness to pay for the Porcellos, Maybins etc. allowed them to compete with the big market clubs and get blue chip talent that would drop to their draft slots. It takes time to rebuild a farm system to the point where it can start producing on a yearly basis.

Comment

• I think Hinch really didn't have too many options; he was a disgraced manager in a year without a lot of high-profile openings. He took what he could get. Gotta remember that he carried the stink of that entire Astros stealing signs debacle. It was the best for both parties; Hinch goes to a team with no expectations where he can rehabilitate his image and not get penalized if the Tigers suck because... well they're the Tigers.

Chris I. gets someone that he can point to that "See? I care! See? SEE?" while keeping payroll low, which is all he REALLY cares about.

Comment

• Six in a row. Yeah, I know it has been against the bottom of the league.

Comment

• Hottest team in baseball. Credit to them for playing better after looking like an expansion team in early May. Tigers are playing well even after losing Turnbull and Boyd.

Too bad MLB got rid of the 16 team playoff from last season. Tigers would only be a few games out of the wildcard race!
                                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Working...
                                X