No announcement yet.

Detroit Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rays might be one of the smartest, innovative outfits in sports. The danger of the Rays is it gives other clubs the excuse to pockets the profits and try and be them. Back at the turn of the century, the big thing was to emulate the Twins.

Those frugal approaches can work for stretches but it is very hard to keep on doing that at a low payroll. And the Tigers have never been particularly innovative. It seems like Hinch has brought something to the table that previous managers didn't, but this just might be an overachieving season. That starting lineup can be upgraded in so many places.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
      The Rays might be one of the smartest, innovative outfits in sports. The danger of the Rays is it gives other clubs the excuse to pockets the profits and try and be them. Back at the turn of the century, the big thing was to emulate the Twins.

Those frugal approaches can work for stretches but it is very hard to keep on doing that at a low payroll. And the Tigers have never been particularly innovative. It seems like Hinch has brought something to the table that previous managers didn't, but this just might be an overachieving season. That starting lineup can be upgraded in so many places.
      The market in Michigan is way bigger than Tampa Bay. All Chris Ilitch has to do is to get the right people, and have a decent budget, and the Detroit Tigers can easily win Division titles like Cleveland usually do, and take their chances in the AL Playoffs, and hopefully the World Series.

I agree with you that the Detroit Tigers can't afford to be cheap-- that's why Randy Smith was a horrible GM, but I think that a combination of a Dombrowski like spender and the Tampa Bay Rays talent acquisition would make the Tigers more competitive with the Boston and New York teams.

I'd like to see Hinch get to become GM or President of the team sometime in the future. He knows his stuff.
      "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
      My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
        The Rays might be one of the smartest, innovative outfits in sports. The danger of the Rays is it gives other clubs the excuse to pockets the profits and try and be them. Back at the turn of the century, the big thing was to emulate the Twins.

Hell, the Rays haven't even been able to consistently do it. They've had some REALLY putrid stretches. They tend to either be right in the divisional mix, or buried so deep at the bottom you can forget they're even in the division.

Comment

• Tigers traded for C Tucker Barnhart. There is a club option on him for 7.5 million.

Comment

• Whoo?

Yay for a fairly inexpensive platoon catcher?

Comment

• This innovative, bold, and shocking trade does ... absolutely nothing!
              Nick Quintana the Teez Tabor of Detroit Tigers drafting. 🤣

Give me that Carlos Correa Tigers news in a few months ...
              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Is this right? 🤢😭🤦‍♀️
                Screenshot_20211104-173358_NewsBreak.jpg
                #birdsarentreal

Comment

• That's actually been true since 2019.

Comment

• Oh great.
                    #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Yeah, when Scherzer and Sanchez won with the Nationals, that gave rings to all five members of that rotation. Porcello and Price won with the Red Sox in 2018, and Verlander (as has been noted many times) won with the Astros in 2017.

Comment

• Price isn't in that picture. It's not Fister, either. Who's the 5th guy
                        WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Guess it's Drew Smyly, who i think was traded for Price

Comment

• Robbie Ray was on that team, too. Yikes

Comment

• Ya, even Price has a ring. The rotation with Price was truly iconic, but point taken with the above pic.

Pretty sure that’s Smyly as the lefty in the pic. He just won with ATL.

Comment

• Via SportsLine oddsmakers: Which team will sign Carlos Correa?
                                • Tigers +250
                                • Yankees +300
                                • Rangers +500
                                • Mariners +700
                                • Phillies +1000
                                • Twins +1400
                                • Cardinals +1500

Comment

Working...
                                X