2021 draft thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 draft thread

As it stands now, the Lions would pick at 11, So...

With the 11th pick in the first round the Lions select, ???

With defense been an absolute shitshow, I'm guessing they'll go offense.
    Last edited by gibby; November 2, 2020, 08:53 AM.
    Detroit Lions: Where futility is a lifestyle choice.

Too early to make spot specific predictions but I'm gonna go with the best available edge rusher.

Comment

Start over with a new GM, HC and QB. Try to build something for the long term

Comment

Oh where to begin. It's hard to get excited about another draft knowing this team is still owned by the Fords + Quinntricia is in charge.
        IMO, Lions SHOULD draft a QB or BPA on defense in the 1st RD. WR, eh... look at the Cowboys ... all of those quality WRs and their team is trash.
        I'm going to try to rate the needs position by position out of 10. 1 being the lowest (not a need), 10 being the highest (an absolute need).

QB:
        7/10. We have seen a lot of highs and lows with Stafford this season. The game winning drive vs Atlanta was spectacular. At the same time, Stafford has missed several throws, looked uncomfortable in the pocket at times, and just overall is not himself. I think it's time to look for the next QB IF possible. Lions can either use a 1st RD pick on a QB or try for someone in the later rounds and develop them behind Stafford for a year. Unfortunately, I don't think the Lions are in position to draft Lawrence, Fields, or Lance. Purgatory season will get the Lions in the #8 to #16 draft range, sadly. Might have to package draft picks and move up. Finding THE QB is worth it.

RB:
        2/10. If the Lions use another 2nd pick on a RB, it's going to piss me off. F*** that. Swift is promising. Kerryon, while washed up, is under contract in 2021. You can sign any random 3rd RB off the street and will be fine. Sad that Ty Johnson and Jason Huntley are gone...

WR:
        8/10. Re-sign Golladay. Cephus will be in Detroit for a couple more years. M Jones and Amendola will be gone. Lions still need another WR. It could be a need if you want someone with a higher ceiling when compared to Cephus. Either way, Lions will have to add to this position group.

TE:
        1/10. Hockenson is getting better. James is a serviceable TE2. Nauta and Bryant are fine projects. No need to add here.

OT:
        4/10. Decker is locked in at LT. RT, Lions have Crosby for 2021. Vaitai was paid big money for mediocre results (surprise). Think the Lions should look to drafting a developmental project OT in the mid rounds.

OG/ C:
        5/10. Jackson, Stenberg, and Ragnow are locks for the roster in 2021. Jackson and Ragnow are fine starters. Some uncertainty after that. I wouldn't mind if the Lions use a mid round pick again to add depth here.

DLine:
        7/10. The question is, will the Lions have a new head coach AND defensive scheme in 2021. That can change everything for this defense. Penisini appears to be coming along. Hand, Shelton, Flowers, and R Okwara (do the Lions re-sign R Okwara?) are fine. The issue is there is minimal pass rush that comes from this unit. It's not their job in Patricia's scheme, but it would be nice to have someone that can disrupt the opposing QB. If the Lions change coaches in the offseason, this could be a 10/10 need depending on the scheme change.

LB:
        9/10.
        Oof, this unit is so bizarre. Again... a new coaching staff could mean major turnover is needed. Tavai and Davis are disappointing. Collins, Ragland, and C Jones... eh. Uncertainty with J Okwara and Bryant.

CB:
        3/10. I know the CBs haven't been good, but this is what you get for starting Oruwariye and Okudah. They are young and developing. With Trufant and Coleman under contract in 2021, I don't see this as a glaring need... but the Lions could add another guy in the mid rounds for depth.

S:
        7/10. Are Walker and Harris players we want going forward? IDK. Safety is another unit that is bizarre. Harmon has been fine. Kearse, coming along.

K/P:
        5/10. K, Lions might need to look for Prater's replacement. P, hell no. Fox is the guy!
        AAL 2018 & 2019 - Teez Tabor

Comment

Hardly can stomach the idea of the NFL Draft.
          Casually looking at a CBS mock draft... you’re giving the Lions Ja’Marr Chase at #9?! F*** yes!

FF933170-7D79-4651-9C2D-8BE62CC506EA.jpeg
          AAL 2018 & 2019 - Teez Tabor

Comment

I'd say QB then WR

Comment

Barring a Carson Palmer type deal or someone they are really high on unexpectedly dropping, the incoming GM is going to be perfectly fine with Stafford and try and build the rest of the team, figuring he's got two more years to worry about the replacement problem. Accept that now and you won't be so outraged later.

Comment

Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                Barring a Carson Palmer type deal or someone they are really high on unexpectedly dropping, the incoming GM is going to be perfectly fine with Stafford and try and build the rest of the team, figuring he's got two more years to worry about the replacement problem. Accept that now and you won't be so outraged later.
                Depends! If the Fords try to mandate the new GM work with Stafford he may not won't the job. However, I don't think that will be the case. Sheila has said it will be up the the GM to decide if they want to keep Stafford.

Quinn's downfall was he hitch himself to Stafford which didn't buy him time. He had to win. I can't imagine a GM making the same mistake trying to maximize the last 2 years of an aging QB on the decline.

Comment

Quinn's downfall was the same downfall that has pitted the Lions in my entire lifetime - trying to be someone else.
                  Playing the College Walk and Sputter offense
                  Playing the 49er way with the Wet Toast offense
                  Playing the Rams way with the Greatest No-Show on Turf offense
                  Playing the Patriot Games

Lions are so far removed from an identity they don't even know what they should be embracing - themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                    Yep.

Comment

Originally posted by 313LionsFan View Post

Depends! If the Fords try to mandate the new GM work with Stafford he may not won't the job. However, I don't think that will be the case. Sheila has said it will be up the the GM to decide if they want to keep Stafford.

Quinn's downfall was he hitch himself to Stafford which didn't buy him time. He had to win. I can't imagine a GM making the same mistake trying to maximize the last 2 years of an aging QB on the decline.
                      On the contrary, any incoming GM is going to be perfectly happy that they don't have to worry about throwing a QB into fire the right away or that they have to pick one right off the bat. Make no mistake, if the price is right, they'll take the trade... but no GM the Lions hire is going to be in any rush to push a perfectly good QB out the door. QB's at Stafford's level are not easy to find, no matter what Lions fans seem to think.

Comment

A clean sweep means you (GM) and the Owner are on board that there will be tough days ahead - i.e. cutting ties with Stafford.
                        It doesn't mean a rats ass if the GM thinks he can win with Stafford.
                        It means a little if the HC he hires thinks so
                        It doesn't mean a rats ass if the Owner thinks he can win with Stafford.

At the end of the day, you get your GM, he gets his HC and you get together with the Owner and get in lockstep.
                        Where the fuck do we want to go?
                        We can get where we want with this guy in X number of years
                        We can't get where we want with this guy in X number of years

Comment

The problem here is that I do not believe for one second the Ford family is interested in a clean sweep. If they were, Rod Wood wouldn't have a job. Half the front office wouldn't have a job. That they do tells me that Sheila Hamp-Ford is hoping these latest scapegoats will turn the heat down and everything else can proceed as normal.

That's been SOP for the Lions for decades, after all.

Comment

Chem, I agree with you on that. The elephant in the room is who is going to make the GM choice.
                            I'll be honest with you, the last one (Acorsi) smelled of some devilish shit.
                            And we know Wood couldn't find a GM on his one if his ass was on fire.

Comment

Trading Stafford is a 24.5 million dead cap hit.....you would have to get a great deal to deal him.....after next season it drops down to 9.9 million.....a lot easier to deal.

2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Working...
                              X