• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch

https://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftgradesteam.php

Detroit Lions: C Grade

Goals Entering the 2021 NFL Draft:
    The Lions could select a quarterback in the first round, but they're most likely to wait because they're willing to give Jared Goff a shot. Besides, no quarterback would be put in a position to win with this dreadful roster. The Lions have holes at almost every position, so it would be in their best interest to just obtain the best players available at each selection (save for running back and center.)

2021 NFL Draft Accomplishments:
    The Lions' front office vigorously celebrated the Penei Sewell selection. Can you blame them? The Falcons, Bengals and Dolphins easily could have chosen Sewell without any complaints, yet a franchise left tackle fell into the Lions' lap.

Detroit needed to carry over that celebration to its other selections because none of their other picks scored above a "B" grade. Some choices were quite bad. Alim McNeill was a reach in the third round. Meanwhile, some like Derrick Barnes, but the Lions traded way up for him, expending way too many resources for a mediocre linebacker.

Sewell will certainly help the Lions improve, but I don't think many of their other picks will have much of an impact in that regard. Detroit will continue to be one of the worst teams in the NFL, which, I suppose, is for the best for 2022 NFL Draft tanking purposes.

NFL Draft Individual Grades:

7. Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon - A+ Grade
    I imagine the Lions are shocked that Penei Sewell made it past both the Bengals and Dolphins. This is a no-brainer selection. It could be argued that Sewell was the best player not named Trevor Lawrence in this class. Detroit has a huge hole at tackle, which Sewell will fill very nicely. Detroit's next quarterback - probably someone from next year's draft - go here for my 2022 NFL Mock Draft - will be thrilled to have Sewell blocking for him.

41. Levi Onwuzurike, DT, Washington - B Grade
    The Lions maintained one of the worst run defenses in the NFL last year, so it's not a surprise to see them address that with this pick. I was never really a fan of putting Levi Onwuzurike in the first round because of his pass-rushing limitations, but he makes sense near the middle of the second round. This is a solid pick.

72. Alim McNeill, DT, N.C. State - C- Grade
    I get one defensive tackle to help stop the run, but two? That makes less sense. I never had Alim McNeill in the second day of my mock draft. In my final update, he was chosen at the end of the fourth round, so this is a slight reach.

101. Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB, Syracuse - B Grade
    This is a much better pick than Dallas' selection of Nahshon Wright. Like Wright, Ifeatu Melifonwu is a tall cornerback, but he's actually a good player. He'll be a liability in run support, but he could end up being a solid starter across from Jeff Okudah.

112. Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR, USC - B Grade
    Amon-Ra St. Brown was productive at USC, and he obviously helps fill a huge need for the Lions, who have nothing at receiver. However, I had St. Brown a bit later on Day 3, so I'm not wild about this value. Still, this is a fine selection.

113. Derrick Barnes, LB, Purdue - F Grade
    The Lions traded up a whole round for a linebacker I had in the seventh round of my final mock draft. Yeah, not good. There were higher-rated linebackers available like Jabril Cox and Dylan Moses, so I don't understand why the Lions were so impatient.

257. Jermar Jefferson, RB, Oregon State - B Grade
    It's going to be difficult for Jermar Jefferson to make the roster, given that the Lions have D'Andre Swift, Jamaal Williams and Kerryon Johnson. I imagine this is just injury insurance, which is fine, given that Jefferson was pegged as a seventh-round prospect.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• I don’t get this one. From everything that I’ve seen from Levi is that he’s a pass rushing DT. I don’t see him as a run
      stopper at all.

Look if you don’t like the pick because the DT class is meh but it doesn’t seem like a great assessment

Levi Onwuzurike, DT, Washington - B Grade
      The Lions maintained one of the worst run defenses in the NFL last year, so it's not a surprise to see them address that with this pick. I was never really a fan of putting Levi
      Onwuzurike in the first round because of his pass-rushing limitations, but he makes sense near the middle of the second round. This is a solid pick.
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I’d say this draft is a solid B / B+. I was really surprised that the Lions didn’t load up more on WR with the class being as deep as it was. Getting Sewell was a A++.

I still can’t believe he dropped
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• It seems like giving an F for Barnes is a little extreme.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
              I don’t get this one. From everything that I’ve seen from Levi is that he’s a pass rushing DT. I don’t see him as a run
              stopper at all.

Look if you don’t like the pick because the DT class is meh but it doesn’t seem like a great assessment

Levi Onwuzurike, DT, Washington - B Grade
              The Lions maintained one of the worst run defenses in the NFL last year, so it's not a surprise to see them address that with this pick. I was never really a fan of putting Levi
              Onwuzurike in the first round because of his pass-rushing limitations, but he makes sense near the middle of the second round. This is a solid pick.
              Nah. You just take some of this snap grades with a little skepticism. We'll see by time the fifth game rolls around. We should be running at will almost.

Levi's my favorite pick

Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• I didn't get the logic of criticizing drafting two defensive tackles in a row, it's unique and it's not something you predict but it fit the traits that Holmes has been going for since he was hired. His default position is grabbing guys who are athletic for their position. One is a nosetackle and one is a true 4-3 defensive tackle. They at different positions, the Lions only have Brockers and Penisini on the roster and DT is a position where your guys are shuttling in and out. You kind of need 4 interior defensive lineman in a game. The need at tackle was glaring.

Comment

• Wake Forest Sage Surratt WR
                  UDFA
                  Purdue Derrick Barnes LB
                  Washington Levi Onwuzurike DL
                  (DNP - Minor Inj)

Syracuse Ifeatu Melifonwu DB

Sage's rep is near the end

Comment

• Levi didn't practice much here. But here's what he did...

His second rep is @ 8:40

Comment

• Last Chance U Star || Arkansas RB Rakeem “The Dream” Boyd Highlights ᴴᴰ

Comment

• I think DT is an interesting position. If you have ok DT, they go unnoticed ... but if you have either really good or really bad, man you notice it
                        WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• 50 of the Top Plays by Detroit Lions UDFA RB Dedrick Mills | Nebraska Football

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                            It seems like giving an F for Barnes is a little extreme.
                            Yeah. I mostly agree with walterfootball's assessment, but the grade is way to harsh on Barnes. Barnes is a solid C pick (still like Cox better if you're going to go ILB, but I get what Holmes and Co. were thinking).

Comment

• The BEST WR You’re SLEEPING On 😴 || Arkansas State WR Jonathan Adams 2020 Highlights ᴴᴰ

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

Yeah. I mostly agree with walterfootball's assessment, but the grade is way to harsh on Barnes. Barnes is a solid C pick (still like Cox better if you're going to go ILB, but I get what Holmes and Co. were thinking).
                                Walterfootball seems to always go extreme. Especially if it is the opposite as they see it. They had Barnes going a lot later so they gave us an F for picking him there AND using future draft assets to secure him. So they're just betting on their own assessment.

I think he will be fine at ILB.

Comment

Working...
                                X