2021 draft thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
    I’d say this draft is a solid B / B+. I was really surprised that the Lions didn’t load up more on WR with the class being as deep as it was. Getting Sewell was a A++.

I still can’t believe he dropped
    The grade this draft gets would depend a lot on how much you believe in the new leadership's end goal.

For example, if you'd be grading this offseason solely based on what makes the Lions a better team in the coming season, it'd get a D if not an F. The team that Campbell is going to coach in Week 1, at least talent-wise, is going to be significantly WORSE than the one that Patricia ended last season with. Make no mistake, this is going to be a VERY bad team next year. It's quite likely they're going to struggle to win two games. Hell, I see a scenario were they become the first team to go 0-17 in the very first 17-game season. Accept it now, this team is GOING to suck, and this draft did VERY little to ameliorate that.

But... if you're grading it looking 2-3 years down the road, realizing that Holmes and Campbell and co. really don't care what their record is next season, then it's probably a solid B or better. They focused on foundation pieces, even if that meant they ignored positions that were in even more dire shape. The theory is sound, and if the players they drafted develop as they hope, it'll be easier to build around them in the future.

Comment

• Brock Wright Highlights - Notre Dame Football - NSD17

Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

The grade this draft gets would depend a lot on how much you believe in the new leadership's end goal.

For example, if you'd be grading this offseason solely based on what makes the Lions a better team in the coming season, it'd get a D if not an F. The team that Campbell is going to coach in Week 1, at least talent-wise, is going to be significantly WORSE than the one that Patricia ended last season with. Make no mistake, this is going to be a VERY bad team next year. It's quite likely they're going to struggle to win two games. Hell, I see a scenario were they become the first team to go 0-17 in the very first 17-game season. Accept it now, this team is GOING to suck, and this draft did VERY little to ameliorate that.

But... if you're grading it looking 2-3 years down the road, realizing that Holmes and Campbell and co. really don't care what their record is next season, then it's probably a solid B or better. They focused on foundation pieces, even if that meant they ignored positions that were in even more dire shape. The theory is sound, and if the players they drafted develop as they hope, it'll be easier to build around them in the future.
        IDK if I'd give them an F in either. They only had so much ammo and they did well. They didn't do exactly what I wanted but there's more then one way to skin a cat so I'll just wait and hope for the best.

BTW, the second best outcome is having the #1 pick in 2022. I don't think they will be worse then HOU and I also believe the coaching difference will assure they aren't picking top 3. IMHO they look to be headed for 5-8 wins.
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Top 31 Plays of Ohio State TE Luke Farrell | Big Ten Football in the 2021 NFL Draft

Comment

• Tommy Kraemer OT OG Notre Dame 2020 NFL Draft

Comment

• Reese's Senior Bowl: OL vs DL (American) (C Drake Jackson, Kentucky)

Comment

• I almost never like the trade up for a mid-rounder. Like I said previously, I prefer to keep those picks around and use them to go get difference makers early in the draft. And that becomes especially important if they try to move up next year for a QB. We'll never know if Barnes was going to last until the 5th, opinions on him varied widely. Cleveland actually took a LB with that pick, Tony Fields, in the fifth round, though a very different type as he's only about 225 lbs.

Also, taking St. Brown over Tylan Wallace will be an interesting one to keep an eye on. Both at one point were thought to be 2nd rounders. Wallace is more of an outside receiver, so that may have played a factor, but both play bigger than their size and tough.

Comment

• Tavante Beckett Junior Highlights | Marshall University |

Tavante Beckett Senior Highlights | Marshall University |

Comment

• D'Angelo Amos, S, James Madison University | 2021 NFL Draft Prospect Official Highlights

Special Teams guy

Comment

• Jerry Jacobs| The best Cornerback in the 2021 Draft| The L🔒CKSMITH

I'm intrigued about this guy. Looks like a developmental Nickel. Seems quick.

Comment

• AJ Parker || Parker's Island || Official Highlights || "HiTek Tek" (reported $35,000 guaranteed)

Has a knack for the football.

Comment

• It seems like the plan is McNeil as the nose and Levi playing 3 technique, so he will mainly rush the passer. I guess Levi played nose last year and was totally playing the wrong position.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

So who should they have gotten to be good this year?
                            WasUKBB

Comment

• Originally posted by edindetroit View Post

So who should they have gotten to be good this year?
                              In my opinion?

If you were building a team to be better next year, you wouldn't have taken Sewell. The Lions already have a "franchise LT" in Decker, and there's no guarantee that Sewell can transition to RT seamlessly. It IS a considerably different position in terms of the defenders they block and the responsibilities. If you wanted the most bang for your buck starting from Week 1, you would have went WR in that slot with Devonta Smith. WR is a wasteland right now to put it mildly, whereas the OL wasn't THAT bad, even last year.

- On an aside, if you ARE building for the future, I can see an argument for Fields, but clearly the Lions weren't too thrilled by him (and neither were several other teams, it looks like), and Sewell has the promise of a HoF talent. -

ONE DT in the next two rounds would have been fine. TWO is simply overdoing it if you're looking for a better team next season, especially when doing so left LB to remain as a black hole, a region of suck so dense that no talent can escape. Some combination of LB/DT would have had more immediate results, especially since I'm more inclined to think that the DL woes were more a god-awful scheme than talent, and that the LB woes were more god-awful talent than scheme.

Once you hit the fourth round, most teams are just going by BPA, and seeing what sticks. Personally, I think Cox instead of Barnes would have been a better short term pick, but Barnes has the physical tools to be better if he develops over the long term.

But at the end of the day, no one draft would have made the Lions "good." Different picks might have made them "better" in the short term, but we're talking about drops in an near empty 50-gallon bucket. Make no mistake, Holmes and Co. are making the right decisions (even if I may quibble with the specifics).

That said, most GMs make choices that on the surface are the "right" choices; very few draft picks are genuinely out of left field (which is why most draft grades are gonna be in that A to B range across the media). The question is going to be, "Are these guys actually any good?" and that's something that can only be answered with time.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
                                It seems like the plan is McNeil as the nose and Levi playing 3 technique, so he will mainly rush the passer. I guess Levi played nose last year and was totally playing the wrong position.
                                He didn't play last year. He played the year before there and he was good there. But I don't think you want him seated there. I think he will start there and during the course of the game he will slide over to 3 tech when Brockers is taking a rest.

Comment

Working...
                                X