No announcement yet.

2021 draft thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• - On an aside, if you ARE building for the future, I can see an argument for Fields, but clearly the Lions weren't too thrilled by him (and neither were several other teams, it looks like), and Sewell has the promise of a HoF talent. -
    Yeah. About that...

Brad Holmes: We would’ve considered a QB if one was graded higher than Penei Sewell

Posted by Myles Simmons on May 3, 2021, 8:35 AM EDT

Getty Images

Though the Lions acquired Jared Goff and the Rams’ 2022 and 2023 first-round picks in exchange for Matthew Stafford, they still considered selecting a QB at No. 7 overall in last week’s draft.

General Manager Brad Holmes and head coach Dan Campbell did attend many of the Pro Days for the top passers to evaluate them in person.

But with Justin Fields and Mac Jones still available at No. 7 overall, Detroit chose offensive tackle Penei Sewell — setting up the team with what could be one of the league’s best offensive lines. Quarterback was still on the table for the Lions, but their draft room’s reaction makes it clear how excited they were to add Sewell.

“If there was a quarterback that was just like graded way higher over Penei we would have had to strongly consider that,” Holmes said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “But it unfortunately for our sakes, it wasn’t — Penei was the highest-rated guy when we took him.”

Detroit will have to see Fields twice a year for the foreseeable future, as Chicago traded up to select him at No. 11 overall. But if Goff doesn’t work out in 2021, the Lions should be able to use those Rams’ picks as draft capital to find their quarterback of the future.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________

So be it.

Be prepared Lions fans. Every telecast (DET vs CHI) will be filled with this. Win or lose.
    Last edited by Futureshock; May 4, 2021, 02:43 PM.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• I used to live in Seattle and I still follow the Washington Huskies. I'm familiar with Onwuzurike and coveted him for the Vikings. This DT class was very thin so I believe it was a great idea to select him in the second round. I know a lot of Lions fans were hoping for a WR earlier, but the USC kid is supposed to be a real steal. I heard his name mentioned several times before he went to the Lions. I was, to be honest with you all jealous because the Lions got two of the earliest picks on day three. My opinion is that the level of quality really drops off a lot from the middle of the fourth round. The Vikings got three fourth round picks, but they were all on the back half of the round. Sorry to mention the Vikings. You probably hate the Vikings, but you know we have a common hate for the Packers and the Bears. I'll explain more soon why I have to now root for the Lions. It's complicated, but I really do wish you well. I promise I will root for the Lions whenever they are not playing the Vikings. We have a lot in common because we are long suffering. Congratulations on a great draft. If I'm not mistaken you have a new GM. It seems to me that you have the right one now. He's a keeper.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

The grade this draft gets would depend a lot on how much you believe in the new leadership's end goal.

For example, if you'd be grading this offseason solely based on what makes the Lions a better team in the coming season, it'd get a D if not an F. The team that Campbell is going to coach in Week 1, at least talent-wise, is going to be significantly WORSE than the one that Patricia ended last season with. Make no mistake, this is going to be a VERY bad team next year. It's quite likely they're going to struggle to win two games. Hell, I see a scenario were they become the first team to go 0-17 in the very first 17-game season. Accept it now, this team is GOING to suck, and this draft did VERY little to ameliorate that.

But... if you're grading it looking 2-3 years down the road, realizing that Holmes and Campbell and co. really don't care what their record is next season, then it's probably a solid B or better. They focused on foundation pieces, even if that meant they ignored positions that were in even more dire shape. The theory is sound, and if the players they drafted develop as they hope, it'll be easier to build around them in the future.
        Even though I wanted juice, I'm glad they didn't go WR with their first. My grades ...

Sewell - B+. First off drafting a top 10 player with a top 10 pick is average. So we start with a C. Sounds like he might have been a top 5 pick in a standard draft so bonus points for that. Bonus points for not getting seduced by the WR class. Points off for not LT not being a direct need and will likely start out of position and will probably end up pushing Decker out in a few years.

Onwuzurike - B. Bonus points for being a defensive pick and filling a need. Small bonus for providing some juice. Points off for not being the playmaking LB/Edge, CB or safety (ie juice) the defense desperately needs.

McNeill - C-. Bonus points for being a defensive pick and filling a need. Negative points for double dipping on DT. Points off for not being the playmaking LB, CB or safety (ie juice) the defense desperately needs

Melifonwu - A. My favorite pick of the draft. I didn't realize until a few days later that he was related to Obi. Anyways, huge bonus points for potentially providing some juice in the defense. No points off. Love this pick.

The rest - C. Who knows.

So yeah - looks like a B- to B draft. Solid.

Comment

• Rondale Moore or Terrace Marshall could make them regret the decision to go with a weak position group in the 2nd round
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• They weren't picking any of those undersized edge guys. They are clearly shifting towards a 4-3 base similar to NO. It sounds like they had their heart set on Levi regardless, but there was also a run on DE prospects at the end of the first that depleted the available talent early in the 2nd. I like a ball-hawking S as much as the next guy, but I'll take a disruptive DT over that any day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

But see... That's the crux of illogical to me. Instead of spending 1 1st rd pick, you spend multiple in the future? Naw, 1 or nothing. Or the Sewell pick basically amounts to 2 1sts.
              As illogical as drafting a Franchise QB when you believe you may already have one? Passing on a HOF potential tackle to protect him when your current starting tackle is an inarguable JAG in the process?

There are two scenarios in which we draft a QB next season or two.

1. Goff bombs completely and we suck ass and are picking in the top 5ish and don't need to trade picks to go get one.

2. The team plays well but is clearly held back by Goff and is picking in the middle of the pack. If you're in this scenario then you don't need as many picks to improve your team and you can afford to move them.

OR The excellent offensive line leads to a solid run game AND Goff plays well and you have extra firsts to just get playmakers since you intelligently went foundational pieces this season.

Comment

• Eagles confirmed they were upset that the lions took Mcneill.

The figured they were safe to trade down as the Lions took a DT already.
                Roy Williams~"In two years, our time is coming."

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

In my opinion?

If you were building a team to be better next year, you wouldn't have taken Sewell. The Lions already have a "franchise LT" in Decker, and there's no guarantee that Sewell can transition to RT seamlessly. It IS a considerably different position in terms of the defenders they block and the responsibilities. If you wanted the most bang for your buck starting from Week 1, you would have went WR in that slot with Devonta Smith. WR is a wasteland right now to put it mildly, whereas the OL wasn't THAT bad, even last year.
                  Lions don't have a RT so its hard to say its good. Crosby is okay but then you have poor depth.

DT was just a total wasteland last year. Just awful at gap control. No run stopping or pass rush, we basically had Penisini as our starting NT. Just awful. Its even not to unreasonable to think with a better scheme, coaching and line play that the linebackers we have look better. It will be one of the things I'll be interested to see next year.

The Lions are so talent depleted that any GM drafting for needs next season should get an F.

And you are right. The team is going to be bad. It was going to be bad no matter what they drafted since they have more needs than picks, and rookies are not a great thing to bet on anyways.
                  Last edited by Ghost of Fontes; May 4, 2021, 05:57 PM.
                  Roy Williams~"In two years, our time is coming."

Comment

• This team may win 4 or 5 games and be improved. Last year they won 5 games and it seems like they would have lost every game without Stafford. I think both lines will be improved and Tavaii won't be a three down linebacker.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
                        Sorry to mention the Vikings. You probably hate the Vikings
                        image_9597.png

WasUKBB

Comment

• Originally posted by LightninBoy View Post
                          Sewell - B+.
                          B+ my arse that's a solid A pick!

WasUKBB

Comment

• HaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4XLkw1tuL0
                            Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• According to over the cap the Lions have 22 mil in cap space. I’m not sure if that inc the 6 mil for the rookie class but after seeing how they drafted i would have preferred to have franchise Kenny Golladay for at least 1 year. We need playmakers at WR badly
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Unless they think Cooks or someone similar will be a cap casualty. It feels like it’s a major hole. I know they can’t fill every gap in 1 off season but Goff will need more help to avoid the eternal abyss of negativity if he struggles
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X