2021 draft thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JGSpartan View Post

I don't think any Tackle they'd draft would be playing left. At least not out of the gate. Decker has had some issues staying healthy at times. When healthy though He's been elite. He made his money this year. He had one bad game in Carolina and didn't allow another sack all year.

I don't pay for pff to have all the grades but there was an article last year thru six weeks that had Detroit as the best run blocking team in the NFL. Decker the 9th best tackle overall and 11th as a run blocker which you would assume would mean something around a 7th give or take pass blocking grade to even out to 11.

The major weakness of the O-line last year was horrible front side-pass protection. I think Slater would be an immediate upgrade on the right and has the athleticism/footwork to make up for what he lacks in length.

I would love the pick.
    Christian Darrisaw (Virginia Tech, OT) is another OT that should be drafted in the 1st RD.
    Sewell barely edges out Darrisaw according to PFF grades, but Darrisaw's run blocking is top notch. I don't think Darrisaw has the quickness and athleticism to be the #7th pick. They are saying Darrisaw is more of a power blocker that will end up at RT. Then again, think they said that about Andrew Thomas and Andre Smith... they were both drafted high.
    Better run blocker than pass blocker. Lions want to be a running team.

Darrisaw does have some fun highlights of bullying defenders in the 2nd level. Such as:
    https://twitter.com/MontelNFL/status...337242624?s=20
    https://twitter.com/BenjaminSolak/st...046749696?s=20
    AAL 2018 & 2019 - Teez Tabor

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post

Christian Darrisaw (Virginia Tech, OT) is another OT that should be drafted in the 1st RD.
      Sewell barely edges out Darrisaw according to PFF grades, but Darrisaw's run blocking is top notch. I don't think Darrisaw has the quickness and athleticism to be the #7th pick. They are saying Darrisaw is more of a power blocker that will end up at RT. Then again, think they said that about Andrew Thomas and Andre Smith... they were both drafted high.

Darrisaw does have some fun highlights of bullying defenders in the 2nd level. Such as:

Comment

I always expect tackles to go ahead of where they are protected. Darrisaw in the top 10 whether it's us or someone else would not surprise me at all. It's such an important position and as we just saw in the Superbowl injuries there can destroy your hopes. You are always seeing teams without a perceived need there taking them anyway.

Comment

That's hilarious. And very impressive. Most big guys may get a push or glancing hit, on a down field block and then becomes a spectator. That drives me crazy. As a OL that was my favorite play. I like how he keeps his feet and stays engaged with the play. He will be successful in the right system.
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by JGSpartan View Post

I always expect tackles to go ahead of where they are protected. Darrisaw in the top 10 whether it's us or someone else would not surprise me at all. It's such an important position and as we just saw in the Superbowl injuries there can destroy your hopes. You are always seeing teams without a perceived need there taking them anyway.
            Well, we have the backup Tackle position filled.
            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• 2021 NFL draft order

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 8, 2021, 4:12 PM EST

Getty Images

The order for the 2021 NFL draft is now set, with the Buccaneers drafting last as Super Bowl champions.

Here’s the order, including three teams that have traded their first-round draft picks:

1. Jaguars

2. Jets

3. Texans (traded first-round pick to Dolphins)

4. Falcons

5. Bengals

6. Eagles

7. Lions

8. Panthers

9. Broncos

10. Cowboys

11. Giants

12. 49ers

13. Chargers

14. Vikings

15. Patriots

16. Cardinals

17. Raiders

18. Dolphins

19. Washington Football Team

20. Bears

21. Colts

22. Titans

23. Seahawks (traded first-round pick to Jets)

24. Steelers

25. Rams (traded first round pick to Jaguars)

26. Browns

27. Ravens

28. Saints

29. Packers

30. Bills

31. Chiefs

32. Buccaneers

In addition to three traded first-round picks, two picks have been traded in the second round: The Texans traded their second-round pick to the Dolphins, and the Vikings traded their second-round pick to the Jaguars. In the third round, the 49ers traded their pick to Washington, the Patriots forfeited their pick for illegal taping by their in-house TV crew, the Seahawks traded their pick to the Jets, the Ravens traded their pick to the Vikings and the Saints traded their pick to the Browns.

The full draft order will be known once compensatory picks are announced.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
                It's a really strong record of drafting on both sides of the ball - Evans, Godwin, Brate, Jones, Wirfs, Marpet, Donovan Smith, David, White, Vea, WInfield, Murphy-Bunting, Davis. Thats 13 of 22 starters off the top of my head they drafted that are solid to high level players.

Cap that off with FA signings Barrett & Suh and the trade for JPP (not a slam dunk deal at the time). Just a tour-de-force of front office moves even before Brady/Gronk/Fournette/Brown.
                and yet with all that they were 7-9 last year. Brady was the key to that team, no doubt.
                Forever One!

Comment

• In the third round, the 49ers traded their pick to Washington, the Patriots forfeited their pick for illegal taping by their in-house TV crew, the Seahawks traded their pick to the Jets, the Ravens traded their pick to the Vikings and the Saints traded their pick to the Browns.
                  Maybe they didn't include the LAR trade because it hasn't been made official yet. Or they're just terrible at their job. It's 50/50

Comment

• Perhaps because the trade is not official until early March.
                    Some draft sites do show the Lions holding pick #88. The better at their job people.

You’re right about the draft and the value of OTs. Plenty of examples of drafts when OT is THE hot commodity. Thinking of the draft in particular when Ereck Flowers was drafted way higher than expected. OR the Tytus Howard draft a few years ago.

Christian Darrisaw is much better than those two draft prospects coming out of college.
                    It could make sense for the Lions because:
                    - Plug and play starter at RT.
                    - Appears to have that Dan Campbell mean streak bite kneecaps off mentality. Pancake defenders in the 2nd level.
                    - Elite run blocking potential.
                    AAL 2018 & 2019 - Teez Tabor

Comment

• Originally posted by Masspartan View Post

and yet with all that they were 7-9 last year. Brady was the key to that team, no doubt.
                      Well, they didn't quite have all that last year. Wirfs and Winfield were high level rookie performers. White emerged as a star in his 3rd year, which took the defense to a whole new level. But yeah, going to Brady from a QB that threw 30 INTs and fumbled 12 times definitely was a game changer.

Comment

• Brady was a huge factor, but he wasn't the ONLY factor.

I don't see how those two statements are mutually exclusive.

Comment

• I don't think they are World Champions without the influence Brady had on the overall mental makeup of the team. Glad that dude is about out of the league, give some other guys/teams a chance.

The guy has more Super Bowl rings than any other person or TEAM in the history of the league. Think about that stat. Incredible.
                          Forever One!

Comment

• Don't get caught up in the whole RT bullying 2nd level defenders eyecandy.
                            What you want a RT to do is bully 1st level defenders, or 2nd level defenders sent to go get your QB.
                            This is the NFL, not the lopsided College Football landscape.
                            Furthermore, if you are nearly 100lbs larger than the guy you are blocking and aren't knocking him on his keister - you haven't bullied anybody.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

That's hilarious. And very impressive. Most big guys may get a push or glancing hit, on a down field block and then becomes a spectator. That drives me crazy. As a OL that was my favorite play. I like how he keeps his feet and stays engaged with the play. He will be successful in the right system.
                              I'll be honest, in that first play I came away more impressed by the blocking of the interior O-line.
                              Defense had the play strung out - it was going nowhere. The C and both G's (especially the RG - who washed out his D-lineman) created a nice Mack truck sized cutback lane.

Comment

• After watching D White fly all over the field I’m firmly on the Micah Parsons bandwagon.

If Sewell somehow fell I’d run to the podium but if not Parsons is the pick.
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X