X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Futureshock
    replied

GALLERYLions Draft Room photos

View photos from inside the Lions Draft Room during the first round of the 2021 NFL Draft

Leave a comment:

• BJK
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensi...e-najee-harris

10 offensive rookies in position to make an immediate impact in 2021

OT PENEI SEWELL, DETROIT LIONS; OT RASHAWN SLATER, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS; OT CHRISTIAN DARRISAW, MINNESOTA VIKINGS

In a loaded tackle class, there are sure to be plenty who get a starting nod in Week 1, but the trio of Penei Sewell, Rashawn Slater and Christian Darrisaw is bound to have the most impact of them all.

Sewell has been labeled as a generational talent at tackle and was a consensus top-five prospect on various big boards. He posted a 95.8 PFF Grade in 2019 — the highest of any offensive player in college football that season.

He fell past both the Bengals and Dolphins — who elected to address the receiver position — to the Lions, and it has already been stated he will play right tackle, which he should adjust to seamlessly.

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    https://overthecap.com/valuing-the-t...021-nfl-draft/

Valuing the Top Trade Ups in the 2021 NFL Draft

Interesting...

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    KYLE PITTSTE, ATLANTA FALCONS
    Lions attempted to trade for the No. 4 overall pick minutes before the Falcons drafted TE Kyle Pitts.

The moment was caught on camera, shown in a short documentary made by the Falcons. In the video, Falcons GM Terry Fontenot is seen taking a call from Detroit, presumably Lions GM Brad Holmes, but quickly rebuffs the trade offer. It doesn't show who the Lions would have taken but it is notable that they put together an offer to move up for Pitts, a receiver, or the player they ultimately picked, OT Penei Sewell. The Lions are far from a complete team so staying tight and taking the best player available made the most sense for their roster. Even with Sewell giving them an impressive offensive line, Detroit is likely a year away from being a serious competitor in the NFC.

RELATED:
    SOURCE: Falcons on Twitter
    May 11, 2021, 6:46 PM

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    I was surprised too

Leave a comment:

• jaadam4
    replied
    As much as I don’t like Walter Football some of their lists and winners from previous years have been pretty on point

Leave a comment:

• jaadam4
    replied
    • Honorable Mentions: Lions DT Levi Onwuzurike
    • Honorable Mentions: Detroit Lions WR Sage Surratt

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    https://www.walterfootball.com/draft2021awards.php

2021 NFL Draft Awards

• Honorable Mentions: Detroit Lions OT Penei Sewell

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied

A modern general manager in sports, not just football, should have four things going for him:

• He must know how to use leverage.

• He should have one eye on today and the other on tomorrow.

• He can’t be afraid.

• It’s optimal to work with a coach who understands when it’s smart to play for today and when it’s smart to stock up for tomorrow.

Grier is four for four. With Flores as his partner since February 2019—Flores worked in the Patriots’ scouting department for four years before becoming a coach—Grier is paired with a head coach who doesn’t just live for today. When I said that in our meeting, Flores said: “You mentioned that philosophically, coaches are about today and not about the future. I guess I’m more in tune with the future. When I get into my coaching short-term thought process, Chris pulls me out of that . . . We listen to one another and have good collaboration on everything, especially the roster. We have a similar vision for what we want the team to look like.”

Flores and Grier weren’t altogether open with me in how they viewed this draft, but we can infer a few things from it. And this is where the leverage part comes in. The Dolphins sat at three in March but didn’t necessarily need to be at three. They weren’t going to take a quarterback, and, as it turned out, they were keen on a receiver, Waddle, who was not the consensus top receiver available. (Ja’Marr Chase was.) Still, if they went down to 12 with San Francisco, they knew that to get an offensive threat like Waddle, they’d have to move back to the eighth pick, at the lowest, and they definitely wanted to be higher than that.

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    FMIA: Day Of The Dolphin—How Miami Fearlessly Trades Draft Picks To Set Up Success, Now And Later

Posted by Peter King on May 9, 2021, 9:45 PM EDT

Getty Images

DAVIE, Fla. — This was March 25, a Thursday night around 10, exactly five weeks before round one of the NFL draft. Miami GM Chris Grier sat in his rental Chrysler outside the Residence Inn in Ann Arbor, Mich. Grier would attend the Michigan Pro Day in the morning, but now, here he was, finishing [more]
    Share this:

Leave a comment:

• jaadam4
    replied
    That’s what 4 first round picks can do for you over the course of 2 years. I like the direction the team is heading. I’m still a little concerned that they picked 2 DT’s in a weak DT class but I actually believe in this coaching staff and front office.

I think this is one of those years that if you have the right talent evaluators you can change the course of the team quickly. Last seasons college football season was weird as shit. Besides your gold standard schools like Bama, Ohio and Clemson this is the year where talent can be majorly mined in the mid rounds because a lot of players didn’t get those off season practices. Most college teams didn’t think they’d even be playing

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/te...=DET&year=2021

DETROIT LIONS
    2020 REC: 5-11
    ·
    4TH IN NFC NORTHNeeds Analysis

Top Needs:
    WR
    LB
    S
    CB
    OL
    Doing right by new QB1 Jared Goff means finding him a WR1 early in the draft. The Lions' new decision-makers also have the tall task of repairing a defense that broke under the previous regime....

Leave a comment:

• jaadam4
    replied
    Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
    And I am dubious there was any serious offer considering the Lions had their card up to the podium damn near the instant Goodell said they were on the clock.

That's not the action of a team deeply considering a trade down.
    In the same interview they said that they had more serious talks before the draft but they never were really offered anything ON draft day.

Carolina and Denver were really the ones that could have pushed the need. They were the ones that had to leap frog each other it didn’t pan out. If San Fran would have went Mac Jones that’s where the fireworks could have been set off but it never happened

Leave a comment:

• Fraquar
    replied
    You go into the draft expecting certain guys you really want will not be on the board - and will be willing to consider trade down offers.
    You get ready to get on the clock and realize the one guy you really want is right there staring you in the face.
    It is at that point where some teams try to over-think the situation.

You have what would normally be a trade you'd seriously consider taking if the draft played out the way you thought it would - that all of a sudden becomes a "no way Jose" offer - we got our guy. Make the pick.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X