Trade!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Friday open thread: Who got the best deal of the Carson Wentz, Matthew Stafford trades?

Out of the 4 teams, who came out the best?

By Jeremy Reisman@DetroitOnLion Feb 19, 2021, 7:30am EST
      147 CommentsShare this storyPhoto by Mitchell Leff/Getty Images
      On Thursday, all the drama surrounding Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz finally came to an end. The Philadelphia Eagles and the Indianapolis Colts agreed on a trade that would send to the Eagles a 2021 third-round pick and a 2022 second-round pick that will turn into a first-round pick if Wentz plays 75 percent of the snaps in 2021 (or 70 percent and the Colts make the playoffs) and send Wentz to the Colts.

For Wentz, it’s a chance to reboot his career under Frank Reich, who was his offensive coordinator when he first entered the league. For the Eagles, it’s not the Matthew Stafford-type of deal they were hoping for, but it’s not a bad haul for a quarterback who had played so poorly he was considered a backup by the end of the year.

Obviously, this trade didn’t have flashiness and excitement of the Detroit Lions/Los Angeles Rams quarterback swap, but it adds to an already unconventional offseason.

So today’s Question of the Day is:
      Which of the 4 teams in the two quarterback trades got the best deal?

My answer: First, let’s go over what each team got and lost:
      Philadelphia Eagles

Gained:
      • 2021 third-round pick
      • 2022 second round pick (could be a first rounder)
      • $816,928 in cap room (Wentz’ original cap hit $34.67M - $33.8M in dead cap)

Lost:
      • Carson Wentz
      Indianapolis Colts

Gained:
      • Carson Wentz

Lost:
      • 2021 third-round pick
      • 2022 second round pick (could be a first rounder)
      • $25.4 million in cap (Wentz’s contract for 2021)
      Detroit Lions

Gained:
      • 2021 third-round pick
      • 2022 first-round pick
      • 2023 first-round pick
      • Jared Goff

Lost:
      • Matthew Stafford
      • $13.83 million in cap room ($14 million saved from Stafford contract - $27.8M from Goff contract)
      Los Angeles Rams

Gained:
      • Matthew Stafford

Lost:
      • 2021 third-round pick
      • 2022 first-round pick
      • 2023 first-round pick
      • Jared Goff
      • $7.6 million in cap room ($12.4 in savings from Goff, $20 million in new cap hit from Stafford)

Your opinion on who got the best deal likely depends on whether you’re taking the short or long-term approach. The Lions lost the best immediate asset in Matthew Stafford and lost a big chunk of 2021 cap space, but they also got the best haul for the future by a large margin.

The Rams got an immediate piece that puts them into Super Bowl territory this year, but they’ll have to operate without a first-round pick for another couple years.

As for the other trade, it’s hard for me to label either of these teams as winners. The Eagles got back a decent amount of draft capital, but they got almost no cap relief for sending Wentz away and it’s nowhere near the haul the Lions got. And while the Colts have plenty of resources to absorb Wentz’s contract and the draft picks it cost them, this feels like a little too much hubris on Reich’s part. I’m not so sure Wentz is the piece that gets the Colts over the top.

Maybe it’s the Kool-Aid speaking, but I think the Lions made the absolute best of their situation of the four teams, and actually managed to part way with a player in an amicable fashion.

Your turn.
      WasUKBB

Comment

• Justin Rogers breaks down Goff’s tape, why Lions may pass on QB at 7
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Don’t take a QB just to take one. I think passing on Fields would be a mistake. Also, I take the gamble on Lance based on his AA and arm. Who knows what we do, though.

Comment

• Best deals were the Lions (long term) and the Colts (short term).
            Colts gave up literally nothing for a starting caliber QB. At the end of the day though, the question will be will Wentz be healthy when it really matters (Playoffs).
            Lions got a metric fukton of picks - and they got a starting caliber QB in return to boot. Rams got a QB, will have gone 7 years without a 1st rd pick and are in cap hell.
            As Lions fans though, we know all the tea in China doesn't mean shit if you don't know what a good tea leaf looks like.....

Comment

• McVay talks about Goff:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rams-coac...021911150.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post
                Best deals were the Lions (long term) and the Colts (short term).
                Colts gave up literally nothing for a starting caliber QB. At the end of the day though, the question will be will Wentz be healthy when it really matters (Playoffs).
                Lions got a metric fukton of picks - and they got a starting caliber QB in return to boot. Rams got a QB, will have gone 7 years without a 1st rd pick and are in cap hell.
                As Lions fans though, we know all the tea in China doesn't mean shit if you don't know what a good tea leaf looks like.....
                If you want good tea... yeah, you SHOULD know what good tea leaves are.

Thanks for finally getting it!

Comment

• Originally posted by BJK View Post
                  I think Goff needs to go on a strength program. He's tough, but putting on some good weight might just help him stand a bit stronger in the pocket. When the pocket is clean, he can do some nice things, but so can a lot of qb
                  WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Strength training might be helpful but the karate is the answer

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                      Strength training might be helpful but the karate is the answer
                      Karate. Only two kinds of people know that... the Chinese and the King.
                      Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• Goff is a tough dude. Nobody can question that. He took a real beating his rookie season. He stood tall, though. Hell, he just won a playoff game after surgery on his throwing thumb.

His strength isn’t the issue, it’s lack of mobility and poor decisions that’s the problem. He’s one of the more hot/cold players you will ever see. He’s sort of like a crazy chick on a week to week basis. You just have no fucking clue how it turns out.

Comment

• Like the crazy girl, it’s always fun at the start and you ignore the shaky shit. At the end of the day, the warts and overall crazy leads to you wanting something more stable. Thankfully, it’s a two year relationship at a minimum. We have outs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                            Anything can happen, but you would assume these future 1sts will be lower 1st RD picks. Rams legit contenders with Stafford at QB.
                            Now we kind of have to root against Stafford going forward...

Goff, ok, whatever. Average starting QB?
                            His reputation has waned since that awful Super Bowl performance.
                            No way. I hope Stafford wins the SB. I will be cheering for him. I'd love to see him prove DWT wrong. Hoping he does bad so the Lions can get a pick a few spots higher is stupid. It's not where you pick it's who you pick.
                            Last edited by DanO; February 27, 2021, 08:37 AM.
                            GO LIONS "21" !!

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                              Strength training might be helpful but the karate is the answer
                              I thought it was judo? Need to learn to fall the right way when a 300lb DL crushes you.

Comment

• Ha, maybe it was judo! That's the kind of inside joke that's going to fly over a lot of people's heads.

Comment

Working...
                                X