Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• froot loops
    replied
    You build the team through the draft and you add finishing touches through free agency. As big as you think Goff's salary is, it doesn't handicap them at all, the cap is going to be at 250 million in a couple of seasons.

Whether or not he is the long term answer is sematical argument, this is a long term rebuild, probably three seasons. He can be the vet presence for those three seasons while you look for another quarterback, if one falls on your lap then go for it. They are so far away.

Goff is going to be the Backups and Raolia of the Lions. They were always pretty much average and far down the list of players that needed replacing because there were so many glaring needs.

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    If they find someone who is the bees knees at quarterback, then they should get that quarterback. But if you go about thinking Goff isn't the answer and you have to get a quarterback now, you are setting yourself up for failure.

Gonz had the best observation about quarterback success rate and how you needed to surround a quarterback with a good team. He was arguing that when Harrington was quarterback and he was correct, he wasn't correct about Harrington but the surrounding part was correct. That goes for any quarterback.
    Then he did a 180 when they got stafFORD. But that's G. He's now been on the longest camping trip ever

Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post
    The problem is, this season isn’t Goff’s only body of work. Outside of really one season where they made the SB run, he hasn’t been particularly good.

I agree that his WR situation is about as far away from ideal as possible but he isn’t a good quarterback.

Stafford was paid top money for his day but it was clear to all but the most blinkered that he was a good QB. I don’t know how many people you’d find to tell you Goff is a good QB.

And yes, the team set up is vital to a QB’s success. We at least have a good O line for any rookie quarterback which is more than Fields, Wilson, Lawrence, Herbert and Burrow had in their rookie years.

I’m not saying get someone for the sake of it, I’m saying we need to be succession planning now because Goff is not the guy. We pretty much know who he is by this point. An ok game manager with a tendency to
    fumble, paid a hell of a lot of money. A bad contract LAR were delighted to get rid of.
    A lot of what you're seeing and saying, we are agreeing with you.

But try taking a scientific method to evaluating Goff. You can't because you can't have more then one variable. Everything, but scheme, is absolutely worse for him then what MS had at this time last year. And that was bad. My goodness, a Khalif Frickin Raymond is his #1 WR.

Plus, there's nothing that can be done without it being a net loss. So we wait until 2023. By then he will have proved his worth or it will be obvious who is holding the team back. They'll probably have 8 - 9 draft selections (with 5 coming in the first 2 days) in 2022 alone. They should be markedly better. But our greatest enemy going forward will be injuries because we do not have any depth except maybe interior DL.

So we need to see this year play out. The entire year.

I think he has some issues with his motions. Especially when throwing outside. His balls are always high or too far outside. Partly because he is falling away when he throws it. BUT, I much prefer that then him throwing picks. The fumbles are concerning

Leave a comment:

• TheLondonLion
    replied

You are saying get a quarterback for the sake of getting a quarterback in a different way.

The Lions don't have a good line. Decker is out, Ragnow has turf toe and Sewell is struggling. They don't have depth.
    I’m just saying Goff isn’t very good and is certainly not a long term solution.

The O Line is clearly the strength of this Lions team. Yes, right this second there are injuries but show me an O line group in the league that wouldn’t miss their franchise center and LT.

The Lions generally are a MASH unit.

There’s a reason why LAR wanted rid of Goff so desperately and why they’re so delighted to have a guy who can consistently take the top off a defense. He’s an overpaid captain checkdown turnover machine. He has more turnovers than anyone not named Jameis in the last few years.

So yes, ultimately I do want another QB - preferably on a rookie deal so we can actually afford to pay to plug some of the gaping holes on this roster.

Leave a comment:

• dpatnod
    replied
    Yep. He should be reading defenses like......

Cat Read GIF

Leave a comment:

• edindetroit
    replied
    Originally posted by CGVT View Post
    Misses open receivers.
    Not reading defenses.
    ​​​
    ten-sports-movie-characters-that-should-be-in-videogames-20090407031316180_original.jpg

Leave a comment:

• chemiclord
    replied
    Same sort of thing. Those MPs are all from the same group of people for the most part. True "outsiders" in a system are EXCEEDINGLY rare.

Leave a comment:

• Marko69
    replied
    Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

Because much like the political world... it's not REALLY "different people." The people in charge are all cut from the same cloth, (in the Lions case... all from the same family and network of hangers-on).
    Was more meaning the on-field players. Different players, same incompetence…… electing a new MP……. Different guy / gal, same useless bullshit “fk all gets done” scenario.

Yes, the actual top, (the fords) …. Looks like they're there for eternity.

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    The problem is, this season isn’t Goff’s only body of work. Outside of really one season where they made the SB run, he hasn’t been particularly good.

I agree that his WR situation is about as far away from ideal as possible but he isn’t a good quarterback.

Stafford was paid top money for his day but it was clear to all but the most blinkered that he was a good QB. I don’t know how many people you’d find to tell you Goff is a good QB.

And yes, the team set up is vital to a QB’s success. We at least have a good O line for any rookie quarterback which is more than Fields, Wilson, Lawrence, Herbert and Burrow had in their rookie years.

I’m not saying get someone for the sake of it, I’m saying we need to be succession planning now because Goff is not the guy. We pretty much know who he is by this point. An ok game manager with a tendency to
    fumble, paid a hell of a lot of money. A bad contract LAR were delighted to get rid of.
    You are saying get a quarterback for the sake of getting a quarterback in a different way.

The Lions don't have a good line. Decker is out, Ragnow has turf toe and Sewell is struggling. They don't have depth.

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

That's all well and good, but the Lions are going to have to decide if Goff is their $35+ million man long before the team is at the point where he'd really thrive.

If they decide he is, then it turns out, "Oh, even with these weapons, he's still hesitating and checking down," they've potentially fucked their rebuild.
    But we have three contending teams that decided their quarterback wasn't the answer and they went out and got a quarterback. It didn't hinder them.

Leave a comment:

• chemiclord
    replied
    Originally posted by Marko69 View Post

The Lions are just the “Sports team” of the political world ……… Same shit, different people, year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year ……………….
    Because much like the political world... it's not REALLY "different people." The people in charge are all cut from the same cloth, (in the Lions case... all from the same family and network of hangers-on).

Leave a comment:

• Marko69
    replied
    Originally posted by Topweasel View Post

This team is stuck in a really bad spot. We aren't winning this year. Next year is unlikely as well……..
    The Lions are just the “Sports team” of the political world ……… Same shit, different people, year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year ……………….

Leave a comment:

• Topweasel
    replied

I don’t think there’s much comparison to make between Goff and Stafford though. In fact, I’m starting to wonder if we got the worse end of the deal.

We’ll likely get two very high (20+) first round picks but are stuck with Goff on a huge contract. Just good enough so you don’t urgently need to replace him but not good enough to get anywhere and paid like an elite QB.
    This is going to be my worry as well. This team is stuck in a really bad spot. We aren't winning this year. Next year is unlikely as well. I don't see us drafting a QB next year (while I expect some QB's to jump to the head of the draft boards, the pickings is slim and uninspiring). So 2023 Draft at the earliest. Which means we will have to have figured what to do with Goff. I am assuming we go with a top pick if we don't see anything improving next year with Goff. Which means that we have to go into the season with a Rookie QB playing and while that is not the end of the world. Are they going to let Campbell have 3 write off years if they aren't any good. Specially if we bowed out of a draft class that had several top qbs (we will especially be looking at Mac Jones's performance for years).

If we stick with Goff. It means he is our franchise QB for the future and we are stuck with his ceiling. It might not be terrible, but it will make it that much harder to make a winning team. But on the other hand its the safer bet for the people that might have to worry about their jobs.

Leave a comment:

• TheLondonLion
    replied
    Spoiler: he isn’t.

Leave a comment:

• chemiclord
    replied
    You can't just make a quarterback appear out of nowhere to be the answer. It's very easy to build a team without regards to who the quarterback is going to be. It's not like college where offenses are vastly different. You can plug and play quarterback on a nicely built team in the NFL. A few of the current top teams did just that. That's easier than bringing in a young quarterback with a terrible team around like the Lions are currently. They are 0-17 bad, they may squeak out a couple wins but that's it.

Make a decent defense for once.
    That's all well and good, but the Lions are going to have to decide if Goff is their $35+ million man long before the team is at the point where he'd really thrive.

If they decide he is, then it turns out, "Oh, even with these weapons, he's still hesitating and checking down," they've potentially fucked their rebuild.

Leave a comment:

• Niffla
    replied
    Originally posted by Marko69 View Post

Everybody loves Raymond, Niffla.
    I lol'd

Leave a comment:

Working...
X