X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JGSpartan
    replied
    Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
    And for the record, Goff is 26. Dude's been in the league for a minute. He's not THAT green.
    Yeah, he's entering his 6th season at 26. I feel like we know another Quarterback that saw jumps in his game with a new coach in his 6th year at 26.

Leave a comment:

• chemiclord
    replied
    And for the record, Goff is 26. Dude's been in the league for a minute. He's not THAT green.

Leave a comment:

• JGSpartan
    replied
    You don't know he's lost confidence though. That's an assumption you are making. It's possible sure. It's also possible he just lost confidence in his o-line or his receivers or his coaches. Or none of it.

Leave a comment:

• chemiclord
    replied
    Originally posted by JGSpartan View Post
    Let's be fair, Goff is not McVay's first QB failure (RG3) are we certain McVay is even capable of teaching a Quarterback these things?

I have a hard time buying someone as young as Goff as a lost cause. I don't know what you can see in a kid at 22-23 that tells you he'll never get it. McVay piping in calls to him when he's that age sends a message to me that he either wasn't willing or wasn't able to teach him. He preferred the shortcut at the detriment to the Young QB's learning curve. Same thing with that video of 2020. Choosing to run the offense in a way that takes out decisions.

I'm just not sold that McVay isn't at least partly to blame for his QB not being able to read defenses well.
    The problem is that you really can't "teach" a guy confidence. It's not something you necessarily get with time and reps. It's why players once they start having confidence issues tend to flame out of the league pretty quick-like, because there's no lesson plan for that sort of shit. So far, Campbell and Holmes have done pretty much all you can do... and that's frankly not a whole fucking lot. If it pays off, it will pay off in a big way. If it doesn't, then the Lions have a broken QB that they passed on one of the more talented QB classes in recent memory for, and that's probably not going to sit well (especially if Fields starts lighting it up in Chicago).
    Last edited by chemiclord; July 8, 2021, 10:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• chemiclord
    replied
    Originally posted by Newbomb Turk View Post
    Stafford - calmly and with great confidence throws an INT
    Goff - flustered and without confidence throws an INT

I got it now. thanks
    Yeah, that sums up their earlier careers well, in fact. I'm glad we can agree on something.
    Last edited by chemiclord; July 8, 2021, 10:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    Originally posted by JGSpartan View Post
    Let's be fair, Goff is not McVay's first QB failure (RG3) are we certain McVay is even capable of teaching a Quarterback these things?

I have a hard time buying someone as young as Goff as a lost cause. I don't know what you can see in a kid at 22-23 that tells you he'll never get it. McVay piping in calls to him when he's that age sends a message to me that he either wasn't willing or wasn't able to teach him. He preferred the shortcut at the detriment to the Young QB's learning curve. Same thing with that video of 2020. Choosing to run the offense in a way that takes out decisions.

I'm just not sold that McVay isn't at least partly to blame for his QB not being able to read defenses well.
    I think it's at least 50/50

Leave a comment:

• JGSpartan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Newbomb Turk
    replied
    Stafford - calmly and with great confidence throws an INT
    Goff - flustered and without confidence throws an INT

I got it now. thanks

Leave a comment:

• Newbomb Turk
    replied
    Originally posted by Larsky View Post
    This is a nice analysis of Goff's strengths (great mechanics, nice arm) and weaknesses (doesn't read NFL-level defenses consistently).

Myself, I believe if Goff can become better at reading defenses (he's only 26, plenty of time to learn) he can become a quality QB for this team. McVay obviously felt that wasn't going to happen. That being said, the mark of a great coach is to get the best performances out of the players you have, and McVay failed to do that with Goff.
    Holy shit, you are alive!!!

Leave a comment:

• dpatnod
    replied
    And the problem all along was that they didn't check the air pressure in the tires......

Formula One F1 GIF by Mecanicus

Leave a comment:

• Newbomb Turk
    replied
    How the fuck are the Lions going to continue their playoff streak with Goff behind center? All is lost!

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    Yeah, yeah yeah In between playing Safety on defense

Leave a comment:

• dpatnod
    replied
    Nonsense. Goff is going to make players around him better and yell at the coaches when he doesn't get his way! Like a leader! You'll see!

Leave a comment:

• chemiclord
    replied
    Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
    As far as the Rams go, I think a lo of coaches get figured out and blame the players for their own shortfalls. Yeah McVay came and did some different things, but I think he has tried to change lineups but not the actual plays. Also, if you watched that video, every single time Goff did something bad, he was rushing his throw because the D was storming towards him. Not many QBs will look good in that situation.

For the most recent example, look no further then the mighty KC. Mahommes looked very pedestrian when TB kept quick pressure on him. MS should handle the pressure better then Goff, but we know MS will sell out for throw(s) which leads me to believe he will not make it through the season healthy. Oddly, he would have had a better OL to play behind if he had stayed.
    I think Stafford feels more confident he can handle pressure, and is more interested in people to throw the ball to, and frankly the Lions will be lucky if their receiving corps this coming season amounts to a dog's breakfast.

Some of the reason Goff was panicking in the pocket was because he does seem to have a legitimate problem reliably locating his reads past his first, and there's not much a coach can do about that other than dial it back to quick passes and single read plays (which is what McVay did... this also helps a weak OLine, for the record). It'd be fair to argue that it's part of growing into the position, defenses were still throwing things at him he hadn't seen enough.

But this is where the difference between Stafford and Goff is. Stafford never lacked confidence. If anything, he was overconfident. A lot of his "can't read defenses" criticism was really more that he absolutely did see the camping defender, he just knew he could squeeze the pass in there anyway. Learning when not to take the risk was a big step in his maturity.

Goff, on the other hand, doesn't seem at all confident that he can make the throws. He plays like he doesn't really seem to understand what he's seeing when he steps back. That issue isn't something solved simply by more reps. Here's hoping that the vote of confidence from Holmes and Campbell gives him a boost, because despite all their high praise, they really are only on the hook for him for two more years. He's not going to have much more time to sort his shit out.

And by the by, Mahomes actually played like a beast in last year's Superbowl. His supporting talent really let him down. Hell, if I'm Darrel Williams after Patrick Mahomes threw a pass while horizontal to the ground for a TD, and I let it hit me in the face mask and drop to the grass I don't even wait for the end of the game to be cut. I take off my jersey, lay it before the coach's feet, then ask my RB coach to help me commit sepukku. Or I just leave the stadium right then and there depending on what the state's laws are, I guess.
    Last edited by chemiclord; July 6, 2021, 08:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    As far as the Rams go, I think a lo of coaches get figured out and blame the players for their own shortfalls. Yeah McVay came and did some different things, but I think he has tried to change lineups but not the actual plays. Also, if you watched that video, every single time Goff did something bad, he was rushing his throw because the D was storming towards him. Not many QBs will look good in that situation.

For the most recent example, look no further then the mighty KC. Mahommes looked very pedestrian when TB kept quick pressure on him. MS should handle the pressure better then Goff, but we know MS will sell out for throw(s) which leads me to believe he will not make it through the season healthy. Oddly, he would have had a better OL to play behind if he had stayed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X