Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• froot loops
    replied
    I have no problem with saying the game has got to slow down for him or any other quarterback boilerplate talking points. I think when people say that or think that, I equate that to a quarterback just getting older and getting more reps. Eventually they see just about everything a defense can throw at him. Different coaching may help, Stafford certainly benefitted from the switch to Caldwell(but he also got older). He is going to face the same issue Stafford did, if you give him a good line, a running game and a decent receivers he is going to do well. If you give him half of that like Stafford was generally given and he has to play hero ball, he is not going to perform as well as Stafford did. I'm talking about the numerous games they pulled out of their ass with 4th quarter comebacks.

We will see what he does, I haven't the foggiest clue if he is going to succeed or not, my guess is he will do enough to make the decision on him in two years a tough one, where half the fan base wants a new shiny toy and half think he's good enough to keep.

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    “I never viewed (Goff) as a bridge option,” Holmes told DetroitLions.com recently. “He’s been a winning quarterback. His resume speaks for itself. Since he’s been a full-time starter he’s not been to the playoffs (just) one time.”

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied

Brad Holmes sees Jared Goff taking his leadership to a new level in Detroit

By Jeremy Reisman

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
    And again, this is only an issue because Holmes decided that Goff was "his guy" and that the Lions didn't need to do anything else with the QB position. Which... okay! Holmes better be right.
    Agree. I shudder to think if he is the QB the Rams FO believe him to be. Hoping (not a plan btw) that he's what the Lions FO think he is.

Leave a comment:

• chemiclord
    replied
    I am describing Goff as a physically talented QB who the game needs to slow down for. That's a FAR cry from Ty Detmer. Now why don't you burn THAT strawman, as you love to say?

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    Yeah his dropoff was of Pro Bowl caliber to a game manager, you are the one with the hyperbole. If he was as lost as you claim his stats would be much much worse and you wouldn't have to lie about his dropoff in rating. His QB rating the last 4 years

2017 100.5
    2018 101.1
    2019 86.5
    2020 90.0

At no point did his QB rating drop 20 points. 90 is a decent rating, certainly not evidence of somebody so lost as you described it. I have continually pointed out he is at a similar stage as Stafford was at the end of Schwartz. Stafford's bad play at the end of the year cost Schwartz, they lost 4 games and lost a playoff spot. We can look at his rating for the seasons 2013 through 2016

2013 84.2
    2014 85.7
    2015 97.7
    2016 93.3

The burden of proof is on you, you are the one describing Goff as someone like Ty Detmer or Jeff Garcia.

Leave a comment:

• chemiclord
    replied
    Which orifice did you pull that arbitrary baseline out of? It was your ass, wasn't it?

It DID show in the stats. His numbers PLUMMETED. His completion percentage stayed up because the Rams transitioned to a shorter, quicker passing game. Everything else dropped significantly. His QB rating dropped 20 points! His yards per attempt dropped something like 20%. His TD/INT ratio went from around 2.75:1 to 1.5:1. That's a MASSIVE drop in production, buddy.

And again, this is only an issue because Holmes decided that Goff was "his guy" and that the Lions didn't need to do anything else with the QB position. Which... okay! Holmes better be right.
    Last edited by chemiclord; June 17, 2021, 11:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    I never said it was all the fault of mean McVay, so burn that strawman down. I have no idea if be will turn it around or take the next level. He took a step back but not as far as you are describing. If it was as bad as you are describing it would show up in the stats. A panicky mess is 60 quarterback rating and mid 50s completion percentage. In reality what his stats show is a.step back from a Pro Bowl quarterback to decent game manager. if they want to get more out of Goff they need to have a good line, a good running back and better receivers than he had the last two seasons with the Rams.

What I'm also saying is McVay scapegoated him to an absurd level that he asserted John Wolford was better.

Also what I'm saying is half the quarterbacks drafted in the first rounds are likely to bust. And the ones that are successful might be lucky to have Goff's credentials whe. They reach this age.

Leave a comment:

• chemiclord
    replied
    Whether or not Goff will be a successful QB is going to depend entirely on the brain matter between his ears, because right now his issues are all mental. He lost his confidence from early in his career and it shows. Part of that IS on McVay (your job is to actually help your players get better, not stubbornly insist on making him do things he clearly isn't comfortable doing), but part of that is on him as well. IF the game slows down for him, he'll be amazing.

I just remain entirely unconvinced there's much there to build up. When a QB looks THAT lost behind center (and no Froot, it's not just the NE game, he's been a panicky mess for the last couple of years surviving on first reads and instinct), you can't just blame it all on the mean ol' coach. It means the QB isn't really getting it either.

It's going to be up to Campbell and Co. to bring the best out of him in a way McVay refused to, and maybe that'll be enough. Holmes has pretty much done all he can to give Goff as clean of a pocket as possible. We should hopefully see better decision making, even if the receivers he's throwing to won't be able to make the most of it. Holmes has clearly decided Goff is "his QB," and I hope that's a decision that isn't being made out of pride, refusing to see the flaws in "his guy." Because Holmes has hitched the team's immediate future on Goff.
    Last edited by chemiclord; June 17, 2021, 01:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied

Film Study: Breaking down Jared Goff’s perfect game

By Mike Payton

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    Originally posted by Newbomb Turk View Post

I complain about the losing in general, the lack of faith in the 2021 version. Hakuna Potato did not avoid my disappointment. Plenty of Fat Matt Patricia jokes and memes............ I still have range.
    This thread title is one for the ages

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    Yes.

Don't miss the window people!

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    Ok, I guess.

Deb is right, now is the the time to be optimistic.

Leave a comment:

• Newbomb Turk
    replied
    Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    This forum might have devolved in NBT's eyes, but he's devolved as a poster. Now he is a two trick poster, start GBU early threads or complain about Stafford.
    I complain about the losing in general, the lack of faith in the 2021 version. Hakuna Potato did not avoid my disappointment. Plenty of Fat Matt Patricia jokes and memes............ I still have range.

Leave a comment:

• Newbomb Turk
    replied
    Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post

Hey I was sticking up for you!!

Optimism looks good on you, even if it is the smallest amount of optimism.
    I know and I appreciate it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X