• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chemiclord
    replied
    Originally posted by Newbomb Turk View Post
    exceptionally bad = playoff win

the bar is high
    Yeah, all that before New England exposed him and showed that if show your REAL defense at the 10 second mark in the play clock, Goff is helpless.

My hope is that Holmes made this decision to stand by Goff with a clear head, and not influenced by trying to salvage "his" QB pick and blinded by the reality that Goff is just an extremely expensive jugs machine.
    Last edited by chemiclord; June 15, 2021, 08:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Newbomb Turk
    replied
    exceptionally bad = playoff win

the bar is high

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    True, but some of those were complete jail breaks and he was just trying to do something. Reminds me when MS was younger and would do the same thing. Now he will just eat it and take the sack. Holmes and Campbell probably believe protection was the biggest problem in LA.

We can only hope (Dammit, we're still going here) he's better then people are giving him grief over. We decided we were good on the QB front and will have to live with that decision.

Leave a comment:

• chemiclord
    replied
    Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

I agree. He has been figured out for a lot that he wants to do there and teams have figured out to get pressure on the QB and slow down the WRs. McVay thinks the issue was with Goff not taking pressure well. Well, most QBs do not take pressure well. And if he thinks MS is immune to that then it isn't going to go well in LA.

This underscores, IMHO, how good the playcallers are in KC. They're always coming up with new things.
    While true, I don't think that should absolve Goff from being exceptionally bad at handling pressure. That's not on McVay. When the mic cut out, Goff looked utterly incapable of playing the position.

Froot is right that all QBs go through a period where defenses figure them out and they either adapt or flame out... but woof... few QBs that rebounded looked quite as bad as Jared Goff did once defenses figured out he was helpless if McVay wasn't in his ear.
    Last edited by chemiclord; June 15, 2021, 01:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Forsh
    replied
    Originally posted by Newbomb Turk View Post
    I'll go on record in saying Goff will be a pleasant surprise, provided the Lions pick up another good WR somewhere.
    Well, yeah ... that's a big caveat but I agree. They have a great OL, TE, and maybe RB ... so yeah hope so

Leave a comment:

• Newbomb Turk
    replied
    I'll go on record in saying Goff will be a pleasant surprise, provided the Lions pick up another good WR somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    I agree. But the tough sledding is the fact that McVay has been the HC since 2017. Every DC in the league has seen what he's putting out there personally. And the worst kept secrets in the NFL are how to stop another team's offense. I can't underscore how difficult a QBs job is when your plays and the subsequent check(s) against the D that is presented is known, scouted and game planned against.

The best example was the JBC days. They started off on fire and MSs best statistical year(s). But as DCs figured it out, it looked worse and worse. By extension, MS looked bad too. But, I put that squarely on JBC, because there's only so much he could do without going totally school yard out there.

I think they will start out on fire, but, at some point DCs will catch up. At that point if he looks more like Goff, you know the blame lies on McVay. Not Stafford.

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    Stafford might be the best thing that happens to McVay if he stays healthy and that's a big if. He is at the age where he has seen every time of defensive coverage and won't be fooled often. It was always comical when people in here said Stafford couldn't read defenses when he would throw an int. In his last game as a Lion, that old canard appeared. There are things on the field that Stafford is going to recognize that maybe Goff wouldn't at this stage.

As it pertains to Goff, we will see. He gets to listen to a new staff, he has motivation. Sometimes that is enough, hearing the same thing from a different voice can do wonders. It's up to him, he could flame out or he can evolve into a better quarterback. Every quarterback in the NFL is going to through a stretch like this in their career. It is what they do after it, Stafford cut down in the turnovers and improved his accuracy.

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    I think Goff is where Stafford was when Caldwell came in. Most quarterbacks have the initial burst.of production and then defensive coordinators find their weak spots. It's at this point they either evolve or flame out of the league. I think McVay is overrated as are most offensive gurus. The dude thought John Wolford was a better quarterback by the end, that's like Mike McMahon level nonsense.
    I agree. He has been figured out for a lot that he wants to do there and teams have figured out to get pressure on the QB and slow down the WRs. McVay thinks the issue was with Goff not taking pressure well. Well, most QBs do not take pressure well. And if he thinks MS is immune to that then it isn't going to go well in LA.

This underscores, IMHO, how good the playcallers are in KC. They're always coming up with new things.

Leave a comment:

• Forsh
    replied
    Yeah the injury thing is real with Stafford lately

Leave a comment:

• The King
    replied
    I don’t consider either guy a “franchise QB.” They are both middle of the pack QB. I wouldn’t build around either one at the $ they make. One word: indifference.

Leave a comment:

• The King
    replied
    It’s not much of an upgrade. Both guys have big arms, tough as nails, and like to throw to the other team at the worst possible time.

To get two #1 picks was a total steal. The Rams got maybe a slight upgrade overall, but also the older and more fragile QB.
    Last edited by The King; June 12, 2021, 11:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    I think Goff is where Stafford was when Caldwell came in. Most quarterbacks have the initial burst.of production and then defensive coordinators find their weak spots. It's at this point they either evolve or flame out of the league. I think McVay is overrated as are most offensive gurus. The dude thought John Wolford was a better quarterback by the end, that's like Mike McMahon level nonsense.
    Last edited by froot loops; June 12, 2021, 09:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fraquar
    replied
    Originally posted by Forsh View Post
    Hey I'm not saying Stafford is enough ... I'm saying he's an upgrade to Goff. It's obvious to anybody, and my guess is that you know this already
    Not seeing the upgrade. If he was a good decision maker and could move defenses - sure. A cannon arm by itself isn't an upgrade.
    That just gets you by, until you run into good teams - then you kinda get exposed.

Leave a comment:

• edindetroit
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraquar View Post

I'm not EVERYBODY.
    You're not? Well goodness you make enough noise to be everybody.

Good-Fellas-Hilarious.jpg
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X