X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LightninBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

Saying, "Goff needs to be better" doesn't make the team worse, either. If something that benign shatters what's left of Jared Blue Skies' confidence, then we might as well prove he's a mental lightweight now and start examining replacement options.
    There are no replacement options. Again, zero upside to publicly calling out a QB that you are married to for this year and next.

Leave a comment:

• whatever_gong82
    replied
    Through 6 games so far, the Detroit Lions should have asked for 5 draft picks for Goff, and it still wouldn't be enough for Stafford.

We got taken to the cleaners by the LA Rams.

Leave a comment:

• dpatnod
    replied
    I'll admit not following Goof years ago. I just had a vague knowledge of a reputation as a big arm with some accuracy.

Of course it could be worse. You could put DWT in at QB - or probably any of us forumites and see worse. But an actual NFL team should be playing a professional-quality QB.

Point is, there is a small pool of NFL quarterbacks in the world. Goof does not seem to be among that group.

Leave a comment:

• JGSpartan
    replied
    I'm not going to sit here and defend any of his bad throws that are definitely on him but I think it's super important to realize what the odds are against him.

Pretty easily one of the worst receiving corps ever. An offensive line that's been absolutely atrocious and we've only played one defense so far that wasn't in the Top 10 in yards allowed or pts. That was the Vikings. We only have 4 non-top 10 defenses the rest of the year. Eagles, Falcons, Seahawks, Steelers and the Vikings again. And the Steelers are 12th in both categories with tons of pass rush. Vikings have also been middle of the pack. Falcons and Seahawks are the only Bad defenses we will really play all year.

Again, I'm not defending the bad plays he's made, those are obvious. I think it's just important to realize how much worse it could be compared to what it has been.

Leave a comment:

• Tom
    replied
    I figured since he was willing the Rams to playoff victories, he could do it here.

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    As a quarterback gets older, the arm strength should increas through their twenties, his looks worse.

Leave a comment:

• TheLondonLion
    replied
    Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    Im surprised at how bad his arm is. It has no zip on it.
    Yep, said this the other day. Deeply unimpressive.

That deep ball to Raymond last week was not only an awful decision but the ball just died. The throw was too bad and under thrown to be picked off. Can’t throw outside the numbers. Can’t throw into narrow windows.

Just no.

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    We will see how he goes the next couple games, at this rate he can't even be a placeholder for a couple years.

Leave a comment:

• Mainevent
    replied
    If he keeps doing this, even given the lack of #weaponz, they will probably need to go out and get somebody to at least be a threat to take his job. If not in the draft, then a vet backup that can at least be a realistic none Blough option. Other players can see when a guy is struggling this bad.

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    Im surprised at how bad his arm is. It has no zip on it.

Leave a comment:

• chemiclord
    replied
    Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    The silver lining in that putrid performance is you fellas don't have to worry about an extension.
    We'll see. I figure he's got about a year and a half to turn it around and find that something that made him look like a worldbeater in '17 and '18. So, he's still got time to turn his game and career around. Stafford took his lumps around this same point in his career, as you've pointed out. Just because I don't think Goff will doesn't mean he won't. It would hardly be the first time I completely read a QB wrong.
    Last edited by chemiclord; October 18, 2021, 06:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    The silver lining in that putrid performance is you fellas don't have to worry about an extension.

Leave a comment:

• chemiclord
    replied
    Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post

His contract doesn’t matter apparently! Call me old fashioned but I like some return on the considerable investment.
    His contract on its own doesn't matter really. It could be an albatross if the Lions make too many big money mistakes, but on it's own it won't cripple anything the Lions want to do. There's actually a lot of play in any given salary cap unless it drops significantly from one year to the next.

Leave a comment:

• chemiclord
    replied
    Originally posted by LightninBoy View Post

Public perception of the coach's grip on reality does exactly nothing to make the team better. Might as well keep it generic to the public and deal with the shortcomings internally.
    Saying, "Goff needs to be better" doesn't make the team worse, either. If something that benign shatters what's left of Jared Blue Skies' confidence, then we might as well prove he's a mental lightweight now and start examining replacement options.

Leave a comment:

• TheLondonLion
    replied
    Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
    Saying, "Our $30 million guy who we just traded for needs to step up," really shouldn't be a morale-crushing statement from a head coach, even if issued to the press. It at least shows a grip on reality leagues better than Jared Blue Skies' statement of, "I just gotta continue completing passes and making plays."
    His contract doesn’t matter apparently! Call me old fashioned but I like some return on the considerable investment.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X