Announcement

Collapse

Please use the Forum's Amazon Link this Holiday Season

As you shop this holiday season, please remember to use the forum's Amazon.com link (listed in the menu as "Amazon Link") to add items to your cart and purchase them. The forum gets a small commission from every item sold.

Additionally, the forum gets a "bounty" for various offers at Amazon.com. For instance, if you sign up for a 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime, the forum will earn $3. Same if you buy a Prime membership for someone else as a gift! Purchasing an Audible membership will earn the forum a few bucks. And creating an Amazon Business account will send a $15 commission our way.

If you have an Amazon Echo, you need a free trial of Amazon Music!! We will earn $3 and it's free to you!

Your personal information is completely private, I only get a list of items that were ordered/shipped via the link, no names or locations or anything. This does not cost you anything extra and it helps pays the operating costs of this forum which continue to go up as our commissions have gone down. Stay safe and well and thank you for your participation in the Forum and for your support!! --Deborah

Here is the link:
Click here to shop at Amazon.com
See more
See less

How "Oh: will they go??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niffla
    replied
    Originally posted by froot loops View Post

It wouldn't be the same, I get it, you guys are don't care for the community of Detroit and are looking out for the bottom line of all the other benevolent NFL owners.
    It's not that I don't care about the community. What I'm saying is, the people in the community will still be fine. I promise they will. Not having a Detroit Lions football game in Detroit will not be the death knell of Thanksgiving as we know it in the city of Detroit. They will still have great food with family and friends. They can still do the Turkey Trot. They can still go to bars. You can do all of this, and still have a great holiday without the most pathetic franchise in all of professional sports. Many, many people enjoy Thanksgiving just fine without the Detroit Lions or football of any kind. In fact the rest of the country would tell you that their Thanksgivings would be even better without the Lions.

As far as the league and the owners go, I could not care less if they all went bankrupt. My argument is that the rest of the country shouldn't be subjected to the Detroit Lions, just because some people in Detroit go downtown to drink and watch the game. The rest of the country wants to see meaningful games and good football. The Detroit Lions deliver neither, and they've done it for the entire Superbowl era of 5 plus decades.

Like I said, you can keep them on Thanksgiving to appease the community. Just bury them on the NFL Network and get them off of Fox & CBS and get some actual competent franchises on the nation's TVs. Then it's win-win for everyone. The people of Detroit can still watch their train wreck of a franchise at the bars on the NFL Network, meanwhile the rest of the country can watch some real football on the major networks.

Leave a comment:

• edindetroit
    replied
    No kid announcers just added graphics like slime in the end zone.

Leave a comment:

• edindetroit
    replied
    Why is this even an argument? Didn't they add the night game on Thanksgiving to give other teams a shot?

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
    Here's a tip - I bet the NFL loves the Fords as owners. They probably consider them model owners outside of that whole winning thing. Whatever gripes they have with the league, they keep it behind closed doors and rarely make waves. And their namesake company pumps a ton of money into their budget with advertising every year.

So if the Fords have this one thing, the thing that they've owned before anybody else in the league was doing it, that as Froot rightly points out is part of a huge holiday tradition, don't expect it to go anywhere.

The only way I could see it possibly going down is if they took it away from Detroit and Dallas at the same time. Which I imagine would end Jerruh into a conniption as well.
    Good post. The last time they tried to take away the game it was actually more about the Cowboys. The dastardly Chiefs complained more about the Cowboys and the Lions got caught in the wash.

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    Originally posted by Niffla View Post

I know that sucks (if it were to hypothetically ever happen) for some of the community, but hey, the NFL didn't become a 100 billion dollar league without being cutthroat. I mean the NBA doesn't put perpetually inept franchises on display on Christmas day in front of national TV audiences just because they feel bad for their communities. They don't play them on that day because those teams suck. And the Lions suck. The Lions transcend suck, actually. They're beyond that.

The people of Detroit & Michigan will survive. They can still do the Turkey Trot and go to bars and watch the other games. Have Thanksgiving with their families. And hey, now they wouldn't have to suffer through 3 plus hours of the atrocious, failure of a product that is known as the Detroit Lions. So look at the bright side.
    It wouldn't be the same, I get it, you guys are don't care for the community of Detroit and are looking out for the bottom line of all the other benevolent NFL owners. Three cheers for Roger Goodell on his march to more millions. I'm just telling you its a big deal and that is the truth

Leave a comment:

• Mainevent
    replied
    Here's a tip - I bet the NFL loves the Fords as owners. They probably consider them model owners outside of that whole winning thing. Whatever gripes they have with the league, they keep it behind closed doors and rarely make waves. And their namesake company pumps a ton of money into their budget with advertising every year.

So if the Fords have this one thing, the thing that they've owned before anybody else in the league was doing it, that as Froot rightly points out is part of a huge holiday tradition, don't expect it to go anywhere.

The only way I could see it possibly going down is if they took it away from Detroit and Dallas at the same time. Which I imagine would end Jerruh into a conniption as well.

Leave a comment:

• edindetroit
    replied
    Originally posted by Niffla View Post
    Didn't the NFL do a gimmick thing last season where they actually aired an NFL game on Nickelodeon with kid announcers? Look it up. If you're going to put the Lions on Thanksgiving, put their asses on Nickelodeon where they belong. At least that would provide a lot of comedy watching & listening to some kids making fun of the Lions.
    goodfellas.laughing.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Niffla
    replied
    Just go downtown on Thanksgiving, it is a big event with the race, the parade and then the game. The Turkey Trot has grown immensely since the Lions went downtown. A lot of people go downtown and watch the game in one of the bars. The game is a huge amount of civic pride for this community.
    I know that sucks (if it were to hypothetically ever happen) for some of the community, but hey, the NFL didn't become a 100 billion dollar league without being cutthroat. I mean the NBA doesn't put perpetually inept franchises on display on Christmas day in front of national TV audiences just because they feel bad for their communities. They don't play them on that day because those teams suck. And the Lions suck. The Lions transcend suck, actually. They're beyond that.

The people of Detroit & Michigan will survive. They can still do the Turkey Trot and go to bars and watch the other games. Have Thanksgiving with their families. And hey, now they wouldn't have to suffer through 3 plus hours of the atrocious, failure of a product that is known as the Detroit Lions. So look at the bright side.

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    Just go downtown on Thanksgiving, it is a big event with the race, the parade and then the game. The Turkey Trot has grown immensely since the Lions went downtown. A lot of people go downtown and watch the game in one of the bars. The game is a huge amount of civic pride for this community. Yeah I know, civic pride is for the marks.

When they threatened to take it away, it wasn't just the Fords who were mad, the fans were in an uproar. You are framing it like I am in the minority, I am quite comfortable knowing that is false.

Leave a comment:

• Niffla
    replied
    And selfishly yeah it is embarrassing as hell. Just personally speaking. Chemi's right, the game is more of a source of embarrassment and shame than anything else. All of my family and friends don't even want to mention the Turkey Day game. As if it's like mentioning a past death in the family or something. They would rather just pretend it doesn't even exist. Even when it's right there on the TV screen, lmao. But you can feel their pity for you. It's like they're all thinking, "God I can't believe he's actually a fan of that team, poor bastard must have really done something unspeakable in a past life to deserve having to watch them go into 8 out of 10 Thanksgivings with a losing record". Where of course they are most likely to be pummeled and embarrassed in front of a large national audience.

Didn't the NFL do a gimmick thing last season where they actually aired an NFL game on Nickelodeon with kid announcers? Look it up. If you're going to put the Lions on Thanksgiving, put their asses on Nickelodeon where they belong. At least that would provide a lot of comedy watching & listening to some kids making fun of the Lions.

Leave a comment:

• Niffla
    replied
    Niffla is not a true Lion fan #onepride
    I am a true fan. Check out these hashtags bro

#OneTeamOneNation
    #OneTeamOnePride
    #GoLionsGo
    #BusinessTripThisWeek

Leave a comment:

• chemiclord
    replied
    Froot's got this idea that he's not mostly alone on this island of Lions fans that would feel "punished" by losing the T-Day game.

I just... don't see the level of investment that he has anymore. The general apathy that the fans have towards the franchise as a whole doesn't seem like it would generate much more than a "Well that sucks. Anyway... [goes on to resume their previous conversation]"

Maybe he's right, and all these fans would be suddenly and profoundly hurt by the news. He's still living "ground level" in Detroit (iirc), so maybe he's seeing something I don't from two hours away. But I doubt it. If he is, then it is something very specifically restricted to the metro Detroit area.

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    Niffla is not a true Lion fan #onepride

Leave a comment:

• Niffla
    replied
    Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
    So take away the Thanksgiving Day game to force the Fords to do what? Hire a new coach and GM that will turn the franchise around?
    To me it wouldn't be about forcing the Fords or the Detroit Lions organization to do anything. To me you simply take it away from them because in over a half century they have done absolutely nothing to earn the right to continue the tradition. No other fanbase anywhere in the country wants to watch the most inept franchise in the entire league on the most celebrated holiday in the country.

The NBA plays the best matchups they can on Christmas day. They don't give those slots to the Charlotte Hornets or the Sacramento Kings of the world. Why? Because the average NBA fan doesn't want to see those teams.

The average NFL fan doesn't want to see the Detroit Lions. If we weren't Detroit Lions fans, we'd be saying the same thing. None of us would look forward to watching that garbage if we were fans of other teams. I mean it's not like I'm even asking the Lions to be an annual Superbowl contender or anything. Just be a halfway semi-competent organization. Then sure, keep playing on Thanksgiving. They're not even halfway semi-competent, though. Instead they are the most lowly and inept franchise in the history of the entire National Football League. They're a perpetual laughing stock and they simply shouldn't be occupying a prestigious time slot like that on such a celebrated holiday. Yes it's neat they started the tradition, but they've had the game for over 80 years. It's time to give that slot to another franchise that's actually deserving of hosting that game at that time. I mean maybe you can still keep the Lions on Thanksgiving, but bury the game on the NFL Network and have some D-list commentators call it instead of putting it on Fox or CBS.

Leave a comment:

• chemiclord
    replied
    At the end of the day, it's a moot point, because it's never happening, so it's not something you will ever have to fear. I just find it fascinating that it's damn near the only thing that will upset the Ford family to the point they'll threaten to withdraw their ad dollars. Their franchise can get screwed time and time again without a peep. They'll eat fines and other punishment (no matter how ridiculous) without complaint. But suggest they probably shouldn't play on national TV on Thanksgiving because they're an embarrassment to watch, and only then will the daggers come out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X