Announcement

Collapse

Please use the Forum's Amazon Link this Holiday Season

As you shop this holiday season, please remember to use the forum's Amazon.com link (listed in the menu as "Amazon Link") to add items to your cart and purchase them. The forum gets a small commission from every item sold.

Additionally, the forum gets a "bounty" for various offers at Amazon.com. For instance, if you sign up for a 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime, the forum will earn $3. Same if you buy a Prime membership for someone else as a gift! Purchasing an Audible membership will earn the forum a few bucks. And creating an Amazon Business account will send a $15 commission our way.

If you have an Amazon Echo, you need a free trial of Amazon Music!! We will earn $3 and it's free to you!

Your personal information is completely private, I only get a list of items that were ordered/shipped via the link, no names or locations or anything. This does not cost you anything extra and it helps pays the operating costs of this forum which continue to go up as our commissions have gone down. Stay safe and well and thank you for your participation in the Forum and for your support!! --Deborah

Here is the link:
Click here to shop at Amazon.com
See more
See less

How "Oh: will they go??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LightninBoy
    replied
    Ok Baghdad Bob.

Leave a comment:

• chemiclord
    replied
    It's a NOTHING sign. It's three PREseason games.

You're gonna have plenty of time to sweat out all your horrors once the games actually matter. Until then, RELAX.

Leave a comment:

• LightninBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
    But the truth is, even the highest slotted picks tend to look like warmed over shit their first couple years in the league. Even "can't miss" prospects rarely look all that great; for example, if you had tried to project Peyton Manning's career just by virtue of his rookie season, you'd figure he'd be a marginal starter at best.
    Tend? No. Some do look bad and then recover to be great, but I wouldn't call it typical. Most of the time, if a top pick looks like warmed over shit, he ends up being shit. Its also very position dependent. RBs, DLs, and to a lesser extent WRs "tend" to show right away what they are about. It seems to me most of LTs that end up being great are solid from word go.

Does that mean Sewell will bust? No. But stop trying to deny his current struggles isn't a bad sign. Its a very bad sign.

Leave a comment:

• chemiclord
    replied
    I think in this sense we were kinda spoiled by Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson and Ndomukong Suh, all very high profile high slot draft picks that came right out of the gate swinging and having an impact.

But the truth is, even the highest slotted picks tend to look like warmed over shit their first couple years in the league. Even "can't miss" prospects rarely look all that great; for example, if you had tried to project Peyton Manning's career just by virtue of his rookie season, you'd figure he'd be a marginal starter at best.

So yeah, people wringing their hands about Sewell after three preseason games aren't even putting the cart before the horse. They've wheeled the cart out to the next damn town while the horse is still back in the stable.

Relax.

Leave a comment:

• Cody_Russell
    replied
    I'm not saying Sewell sucks or was a bad pick. Drafting Sewell was a no brainer if the Lions didn't trade back at the time. There are signs that point to Sewell having growing pains this season. The schedule and the opposing pass rushers are going to be a challenge for him. I won't hide the fact that Sewell struggled in several of his pass rush reps in the preseason for whatever it's worth. Maybe it's not worth anything.
    Big V is indeed a weakness on the OLine until proven otherwise. Quinn desperately swung for the fences by overpaying Big V because of his one good run when the Eagles won the Super Bowl. It hasn't paid off yet.

Would love for this team to prove me wrong and have a 6-11 (best case scenario) season. It's a very likable team with the changes this offseason.
    Combination of a tough schedule (NFC West, AFC North) + completely new staff + marginal to poor talent at key positions (QB, WR) ... There's going to be struggles this season.

It's perfectly fine if this year is a rebuild anyways.

Brad Holmes was able to find a starting OT (Sewell), rotational DT (Onwuzurike), starting NT (McNeill), CB #4 (Melifonwu), supposedly starting Slot WR (St. Brown), eventual starting LB (Barnes), RB #3 (Jefferson) in his first draft class. UDFA possible starting nickel CB (AJ Parker).
    We still have to see if any of these guys are good during the season. You like to hear that most of these players will be involved right away.

Leave a comment:

• JGSpartan
    replied
    I'm still on the team of they could be better and have a worse record. The opening of the season is potentially very brutal.

Selling on Sewell long term would be silly at this point but that doesn't change that he's struggling now and some of those early games are tough matchups for him.

I imagine the defense will be better, they seemed to be in the preseason other than a few players. Not running man so much without the players to do it will help some just by itself. Hard to imagine the offense being better but it they can run effectively as they have been its possible.

I think they'll go somewhere around 5ish wins.

Leave a comment:

• jaadam4
    replied
    Holy shit man. You guys are already on the Sewell sucks bandwagon. Him skipping a season didn’t help him but this kid is still going to be a beast. He’s one of the best OT I’ve seen in a longtime and I’m stoked we got him.

What I’m not stoked about is our RG and last years RT. He’s a f’ing shit show. V should be cut immediately but he won’t be as his contract is terrible

Leave a comment:

• Iron Lion
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraquar View Post

Patricia lost the team in training camp of his 1st season- he never had them on board - at all.
    Not to mention the Surprise! Rape allegations before camp.

Last year was the first time in 19 years I wasn't even excited for the season and I skipped it. I sat through every Millen kick in the balls season but nothing sucked the life out of me like FMP.

If we go 5-11 last year with literally the second worst defense of all time, I don't understand why people are predicting basically no change and that we go 6-11 or whatever.

Every year there's a worst to first team. What looks like a tough schedule can turn out to be easier than expected when the bullets are live and teams struggle. There's basically zero film out on this team and no one knows what to expect from the Lions. Kneecap Campbell cannot possibly be a worse leader of men than FMP.

Leave a comment:

• Cody_Russell
    replied
    Vegas O/U for the Detroit Lions is 4.5

My 2021 Detroit Lions prediction:
    Record Prediction - 3-14 (U on the 4.5 Vegas prediction)
    Summary - It pains me to go 3-14 on a season prediction as someone that views himself as a cross between an optimistic and realistic fan. I really like the coaching staff that Campbell assembled and how the Lions are more transparent for the fans. Don’t let this trick you as the roster appears to be the worst since 2009. The Lions schedule is really tough too.
    Offense -
    Pros. TJ Hockenson will be the Lions MVP. D’Andre Swift could be great if he stays healthy. That’s a big if considering his history. The center to left side of the OLine should be good.
    Cons. Goff is a downgrade at QB and could have problems with big plays. The OLine, in particular Sewell, might be leaky. Step back and picture your top three WRs being Tyrell Williams, Kalif Raymond, and Amon-Ra St Brown. Raymond was the 4th or 5th WR on the Titans last season. While St. Brown has some positive reviews, he is still a rookie 4th RD pick. Tyrell Williams is probably the 31st or 32nd best WR#1 in the NFL.
    Defense -
    Pros. Pass rush. This might be the one pleasant surprise. With a change in scheme and the players rushing the passer, it will look competent in 2021.
    Cons. Back 7. Combination of growing pains by a core of young players and the mediocre LB play. There should be a lot of ups and downs. There’s enough talent that this unit might exceed outside expectations. As in, maybe the Lions defense will rank in the 22nd to 26th best range. Oruwariye could be solid. Okudah is the big question.
    Special Teams -
    Jack Fox is the best punter in the NFL. Will make the Pro Bowl. Seeing Randy Bullock or whatever kicker will make Lions fans want to FADE FOR CADE (York).

Leave a comment:

• Fraquar
    replied
    Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

No, it really can't.

- Matt Patricia
    Patricia lost the team in training camp of his 1st season- he never had them on board - at all.

Leave a comment:

• foxhopper
    replied
    Originally posted by dpatnod View Post
    Yep. Now run up that hill!!!!
    While I sit my fat ass in my orv/gulf cart or whatever it was.

Leave a comment:

• dpatnod
    replied
    Yep. Now run up that hill!!!!

Leave a comment:

• chemiclord
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraquar View Post
    They'll win game 1 - mark it up.
    Motivation and hype can't get you through an entire season - but it can get you through 1 game.
    No, it really can't.

- Matt Patricia

Leave a comment:

• gibby
    replied
    Just relax. No one should expect a great year. This is only the 57th year of a rebuild. Gotta give time. Might take as long as another 300 years, but you'll be shocked at how good they are.

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    Originally posted by Newbomb Turk View Post
    they will beat the Bears
    Only if Andy is QBing

Leave a comment:

Working...
X