All Things Rams - Stafford Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonz writing for Deadspin these days?

Why did anyone think an ex-Lion would help?

Matthew Stafford was never going to fix himself, let alone the Rams

In some ways, NFL teams and fanbases can be a lot like that friend you have who makes terrible romantic choices. No matter how many times you explain to them that no, they can’t “fix” that person, or “save” them, they still try. And it always ends in tears when said romantic prospect turns out to be what they’ve always been. But you’re still there to watch them ugly cry into their IPA.

You can’t say the Rams and their fans didn’t think they couldn’t “save” Matthew Stafford when they gave up the boat to pry him out of Detroit. And it’s easy to think that every player who puts on the Honolulu Blue of the Lions needs saving. That if they’re given just the right care, shown the right love, shown what is possible outside of Ford Field, that they’ll unveil buried treasure.

But there’s a reason that Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson just up and retired instead of trying to go somewhere else, their souls broken by just being a Lion. There is no salvation. They can’t be good to anyone else. There is no partnership that will wash away the scars and psychoses. Best to just steal themselves away from everyone. No more heartache.

Sure, there are far worse places for the Rams to be than 7-4, two wins behind first-place Arizona. The inept Jaguars and struggling Seahawks are still on the schedule for L.A. And the NFC is still wide open. The Vikings are always capable of falling over into a trash can, kicking their legs cartoonishly in the air while upside down and blinded. So maybe 10 or 11 wins are still in the cards. Maybe a playoff berth. The rest of the NFC, beneath the division winners, seem intent on treating the wild-card spots like someone vomiting in the middle of a party.

But this is what Stafford is. It’s empty calories. The numbers always look good, because he always seems to find himself in the spot to have to “eff it, chuck it, FOOOBAWWWW” a lot. Sometimes he can do that just enough to author a comeback win, which erases anyone’s urge to ask why he found himself in that hole in the first place.

Sure, he got three playoff berths out of the Lions, which in Detroit is a Cortez Gold amount. Though he didn’t win any of them and only played well in one of them. And only won more than 10 games twice in 12 seasons. Sure, it was the Lions, and the conclusion was always that no one could carry them out of the morass. Just been hanging out in the wrong crowd, the next team says.

https://deadspin.com/why-did-anyone-...YW2l9MComv9gzo
    Last edited by edindetroit; November 29, 2021, 09:33 PM.
    "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by JGSpartan View Post
      The competition for the last nfc playoff spot is incredibly weak. I just don't see the Rams not at least getting that spot. They'd need to lose out. I thought the floor for the Rams pick was one and done playoffs and I don't think that's changed. I don't think the ceiling has changed either but they probably need a playoff path that avoids cold weather.

The recent bad Stafford picks are a mix of his own mistakes and his teammates. Without Woods there it's on Kupp or Beckham to become that reliable possession receiver and its not currently either of their games. I don't think that pick 6 in GB happens with Woods who would be more likely to come get the ball than wait for it and push upfield like Kupp was trying.
      Agree.
      Rams would have to go 0-6 or 1-5 in their remaining 6 games to miss the playoffs. Jaguars are next for them. Doubt they miss the playoffs.
      Another NFC team like the WFT, Panthers, Saints, or Falcons have to step up too.

Wishful thinking.
      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Looking at their schedule, the best case scenario (worst record) is 10-7. Probably top wild card and a playoff game in Dallas.

Comment

• Troy Aikman: All-star teams like the Rams don't work in the NFL

The Los Angeles Rams have definitely taken a different approach than plenty of teams in the NFL. Instead of building through the draft, they’ve elected to acquire star talent and build around those players on both sides of the ball.

The decision to trade for players like Jalen Ramsey, Matthew Stafford, and Von Miller has heightened the expectations from outside sources and the players and coaches within the locker room. While Los Angeles is experiencing a dreadful three-game losing streak, Troy Aikman said on 1310 “The Ticket” Tuesday that he doesn’t believe the all-star team mentality works in the NFL.

“We’ve talked about it — the all-star team just — I’ve never seen it work in the NFL. I know Washington tried it back in, I think, ‘99. I’ve just never seen a team that goes out and tries to put together this all-star team that can win a Super Bowl, much less success,” Aikman said. “It usually unravels, and right now, that’s kind of what’s happening to the Rams. They’ve just not been very consistent.”

When the Rams landed Stafford via trade in the offseason, they were immediately pinned as Super Bowl favorites. Everything seemed to be going along smoothly in the first eight weeks with Los Angeles boasting a 7-1 record.

In the past three weeks, though, the Rams have looked out of sorts in all three phases of the game, losing in ugly fashion to the Tennessee Titans, the San Francisco 49ers, and the Green Bay Packers. The latest loss to the Packers ties the longest losing streak that Los Angeles has had since Sean McVay became the head coach in 2017.

It has Aikman worried about whether the Rams will be able to pull it all together for the stretch run and actually contend in the playoffs.

“It was not a good performance at all the other night when we had them, but I don’t know if they’re going to be able to pull it together or not,” he said. “That was a huge game for both of those teams, not only for the Rams to keep pace with Arizona in the division, but also they were still in the hunt potentially for a first-round bye. But it just does not have a good feel. I feel it throughout the entire organization. I just don’t know that they’re going — I don’t think they’re done. I think they’re going to have some moments where they climb back into it, but I don’t know if they’re going to have enough to get over the hump.”

With a 7-4 record, the Rams are now just one game ahead of their NFC West rivals in the 49ers for the No. 5 seed in the NFC. And with Los Angeles entering a crucial point of its schedule, there isn’t much time for this team to get back on track in time for a playoff push.

We have seen previous star-studded teams fall to the wayside due to underwhelming play or other reasons in the history of the NFL. Even though Aikman doesn’t have confidence in how the Rams have built their team, these final six weeks could either prove or disprove his point.

"Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by gibby View Post
            I didn't watch a bunch of the GB game but, looked like vintage statford to me. Hitting wide open recievers in the feet, 3 yards behind the crossing route, locking on the receiver at the line of scrimmage.

For the record, the only reason I want statford to lose is to improve the other first round pick.
            Stafford still hasn't learned to stop staring down his receivers. Drives me nuts every time when a QB does that. Now Stafford is going to have a bounce back because he's playing against the Jaguars which are a team with a losing record, unless golden boy Trevor somehow pulls an upset nobody is expecting.
            Last edited by Lionsfan123; December 1, 2021, 08:01 PM.

Comment

• I don't know, something about him just seems different.

3-Matthew-Stafford.jpg
              Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• Trick!!!!
                Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickalicious View Post
                  I don't know, something about him just seems different.

3-Matthew-Stafford.jpg
                  Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Rams Fans.jpg

Comment

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                      My friend Ken L

Comment

• The Lions now have a better chance of getting one.

Comment

• Stafford gonna Stafford.

3 straight games with a pick 6 is mighty impressive. Even for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
                            Stafford gonna Stafford.

3 straight games with a pick 6 is mighty impressive. Even for him.
                            My bet is he shatters the All-Time record before he is done.....lol

​​​​​​https://www.pro-football-reference.c...six_career.htm

Comment

• Maybe in the next 6 games.

Comment

• Stafford crushed the Jags,, I am not sure if that counts as a positive comeback or not.
                                Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

Working...
                                X