Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
    I suspect the Lions value LB about as much as anyone else right now.

The Lions most likely are going to hold onto that extra 1 in case they need to move up for a QB.
    I suspect that you're right. It could be even more valuable if Stafford's injury is serious.

Comment

Originally posted by kdk2002 View Post
      Should the Lions be interested in Roquan Smith? They have an extra #1, but do they have cap space? He sure fits a need.
      I don't think it makes sense to send a 1st for anyone unless we are on the verge of contending.

We are not.

Comment

I might trade a 1st for that Stafford fella.
        Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

Originally posted by dpatnod View Post
          Too bad we don't have that extra first from last year. We might have been able to package that and see it they'd bite on taking Goff off our hands.

Comment

Interested to see what Goff can do this season. Better players around him and a year of getting used to the coaching staff. 1 last chance for Goff.

Goff is supposedly having a very good offseason and camp. We’ll see what happens… somewhat optimistic that he can look decent this season.
            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Originally posted by dpatnod View Post
              Toooooo soooooooon
              "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
              Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

Jameson Williams takes Stafford's number (with permission) ... ballsy
                WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

Totally fine for JaMo to have #9. Classy for both JaMo and Stafford to discuss it.

Coming from someone that appreciates what Stafford did for the Detroit Lions… he doesn’t deserve to have his #9 number retired. That would be setting the bar really low for a retired number. Comparable to hanging banners for playoff appearances.

Not much else to this. JaMo now has his single digit number.
                  AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

I personally think retiring numbers is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by kdk2002 View Post

I suspect that you're right. It could be even more valuable if Stafford's injury is serious.
                      Stafford would play with one arm, we all know this. No point in pretending he is going to miss time with an elbow injury. He knows how to play hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                        Totally fine for JaMo to have #9. Classy for both JaMo and Stafford to discuss it.

Coming from someone that appreciates what Stafford did for the Detroit Lions… he doesn’t deserve to have his #9 number retired. That would be setting the bar really low for a retired number. Comparable to hanging banners for playoff appearances.

Not much else to this. JaMo now has his single digit number.
                        If Barry and Calvin did enough for the Lions to have their numbers retired, so did Stafford.

That said, I also tend to lean towards the idea that retiring numbers is a fairly silly tradition. Plenty of ways to honor your greats without saying, "No one else can wear this number unless we say otherwise for largely arbitrary reasons." Hell, the #20 is a perfect example of that. Nobody forgot Lem Barney or Billy Sims just because Barry wore the same number. If a player wants the "pressure" of wearing a "historic" number for a team... let them! If they can't handle that, they aren't going to be able to handle being in an NFL huddle for very long anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

If Barry and Calvin did enough for the Lions to have their numbers retired, so did Stafford.

That said, I also tend to lean towards the idea that retiring numbers is a fairly silly tradition. Plenty of ways to honor your greats without saying, "No one else can wear this number unless we say otherwise for largely arbitrary reasons." Hell, the #20 is a perfect example of that. Nobody forgot Lem Barney or Billy Sims just because Barry wore the same number. If a player wants the "pressure" of wearing a "historic" number for a team... let them! If they can't handle that, they aren't going to be able to handle being in an NFL huddle for very long anyway.
                          Bolderdash (comparing Stafford to those two). Not saying Stafford is unworthy ... but Barry and CJ were the best at their positions in the league for long periods ... Stafford never was

Comment

There are certain numbers that should never be worn again ... 99 in Edmonton comes to mind

Comment

Originally posted by Forsh View Post
                              There are certain numbers that should never be worn again ... 99 in Edmonton comes to mind
                              Why? I'd argue Gretzky wasn't even the best hockey player of his era. He was the flashiest and most prolific scorer, to be sure... but if I wanted to build a team, I'd rather have a complete package player like Mario Lemeiux every damn time.

Comment

As I understand it the Lions never “officially” retire numbers.
                                But with that said I thought why not have a player earn the right to where a number worn by a previously great player.
                                for instance # 7 and 22, worn by Dutch Clark and Bobby layne could be worn again by a player, possibly any position, or just QB, if they play well enough, all pro pro bowl level.
                                I think the player would feel like it’s an honor to accomplish such a task.
                                Do you think it would mean something to a player like Swift if he could wear 20? I do.

Comment

Working...
                                X