No announcement yet.

U of M thread (in the Lions Forum) :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is it that basketball is widely considered the worst officiated of the major sports, and yet no annOuncer has ever seen a bad call?
    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
      How is it that basketball is widely considered the worst officiated of the major sports, and yet no annOuncer has ever seen a bad call?
      I dunno, I hear announcers comment on bad calls all the time. Like in this game for example, the out of bounds call that was clearly on Sullinger followed by the blocking foul on Hardaway that should have been a charge on Sullinger were both regarded with a "WTF was that?" by the announcing crew.

Those two calls completely killed U-M's momentum. I don't know if they would have won (most likely not), but it certainly didn't help at all.

I do believe though that basketball officials get a bit of a bum rap... because it probably is one of the hardest sports to officiate and they tend to be under the most scrutiny, even without the "superstar treatment" that has become a part of basketball officiating at every level.

When there's only 10 people on the floor, there's not a lot of chance for violations that people can see up top to be lost in the action like it is in football, for example. Added on is that the action can be so fast and a ref needs to be able to make that call in all that activity and be right on top of it.

Part of the problem (and this is something that's true in all professional sports currently), is that fans have access to tools that referees on the field of play do not, and the leagues are very resistant to have someone up in a booth making calls on the floor as they happen. Which is kinda unfortunate because nowadays, fans often have a better angle than the officials do.

But hey, there's good reasons for not giving a "booth official" that sort of power... so I guess we as fans gotta live with mistakes happening on occasion, even if the mistakes seem obvious to us.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
        I dunno, I hear announcers comment on bad calls all the time. Like in this game for example, the out of bounds call that was clearly on Sullinger followed by the blocking foul on Hardaway that should have been a charge on Sullinger were both regarded with a "WTF was that?" by the announcing crew.

Those two calls completely killed U-M's momentum. I don't know if they would have won (most likely not), but it certainly didn't help at all.

I do believe though that basketball officials get a bit of a bum rap... because it probably is one of the hardest sports to officiate and they tend to be under the most scrutiny.

When there's only 10 people on the floor, there's not a lot of chance for violations that people can see up top to be lost in the action like it is in football, for example. Added on is that the action can be so fast and a ref needs to be able to make that call in all that activity and be right on top of it.

Part of the problem (and this is something that's true in all professional sports currently), is that fans have access to tools that referees on the field of play do not, and the leagues are very resistant to have someone up in a booth making calls on the floor as they happen. Which is kinda unfortunate because nowadays, fans often have a better angle than the officials do.

But hey, there's good reasons for not giving a "booth official" that sort of power... so I guess we as fans gotta live with mistakes happening on occasion, even if the mistakes seem obvious to us.
        Maybe*, but on the Sullinger "charging" call by Morris, where Sullinger's feet are still clearly and obviously moving....

"Looks like a good call from here." "Yup, just shows how quick his feet are."

*I listened to the local homers for the second half...so they obviously challenged those calls.
        To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
          Yeah, but on the Sullinger "charging" call by Morris, where Sullinger's feet are still clearly and obviously moving....

"Looks like a good call from here." "Yup, just shows how quick his feet are."
          Well, "setting your feet" is only one of many elements to what may or may not constitute a charge. You don't have to have your feet set... merely have your position established.

Not... that Sullinger did in that case either. He was not set, did not establish his position, and impeded Morris. It was a horrible call, to be sure, but that's a call the star player of the #1 team in the country is going to get when playing an unranked team, and an entirely different issue that I think basketball at all levels needs to address sooner rather than later.

But to get to the earlier point, announcers also will miss calls. :p

Comment

• Impossible. Why, Jeff Van Gundy is the smartest man I know.
            I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

• Kstat we're all downtown getting juiced if you wanna come down for some drinks.. That goes for anyone else in the Charlotte area.
              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• where at? I have to work tonight, but I can still stop by if it's close.

Comment

• We're at a burger joint called Nix right now for Burgers. Cmon on downtown bro
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• it's about a half hour north. I could be there in 45 minutes or so.

Comment

• I'll pm you my number. Call me if you can make it.
                      F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Kstat. Just keep your distance when he's eating and you should be fine.

GO LIONS "11" !
                        GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• I served my time!!
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• this is my last post about this
                            lol ok you got me

Comment

• I hate green.

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
                                Re: #4, I think that's what they did in Hoosiers and I think that's still the way they do it in H.S. basketball in Indiana.
                                That is how they did it in Hoosiers. However, Indiana went to a Class system a few years ago, so there is no chance for Hoosiers like team to come and upset a huge school anymore.
                                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Working...
                                X