X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolphins waive Jonathan Ledbetter

Posted by Josh Alper on April 21, 2020, 5:23 PM EDT

Getty Images

Defensive end Jonathan Ledbetter started the season opener for the Dolphins last year, but it may wind up being the only game he plays for the team.

Ledbetter landed on injured reserve after hurting his ankle in a 59-10 loss to the Ravens and went on injured reserve a few days later. He did not return to action during the season and was waived with a non-football injury designation on Tuesday.

Ledbetter had four tackles and a half-sack in his lone regular season outing. He was signed as an undrafted free agent out of Georgia.

The Dolphins have added Shaq Lawson and Emmanuel Ogbah at defensive end this offseason.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Golden Tate getting Packers fans all riled up on Twitter ????????

????https://twitter.com/ShowtimeTate/sta...533367808?s=19
      AAL Quintez Cephus
      If you fall during your life, it doesn't matter. You're never a failure as long as you try to get up.

Comment

• Longtime NFL assistant John Teerlinck dies at 69

Posted by Josh Alper on May 11, 2020, 8:44 AM EDT
        Getty Images

The Colts announced the death of longtime defensive line coach John Teerlinck on Sunday night.

Teerlinck, who was 69 at the time of his death, finished his time as an NFL assistant by coaching the defensive line in Indianapolis from 2002 to 2012. Teerlinck coached stars like Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis during his time with the Colts and Mathis called Teerlinck the best pass rushing coach of all time in a Twitter post after Teerlinck’s death.

Teerlinck played defensive line at Western Illinois and was a 1974 fifth-round pick of the Chargers. He appeared in 20 games over two seasons and then moved into coaching on the college level.

He jumped to the NFL as the defensive line coach with the Browns in 1989 and went on to hold the same role with the Rams, Vikings, Lions and Broncos before joining the Colts. He coached Hall of Famers Chris Doleman and John Randle while with the Vikings and Randle chose Teerlinck to present him at his Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

Our condolences go out to Teerlinck’s family and friends on their loss.
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Report: Larry Warford looking for salary around $7 million

Posted by Josh Alper on May 12, 2020, 8:22 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Saints released guard Larry Warford last week and there were a couple of early reports about interest in a player who has made three straight Pro Bowl appearances.

On Monday, there was a report about how much Warford is looking for from one of those teams or any other suitor for his services. Warford was set to make over $7 million in base salary with the Saints and Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that he’s looking for something in the same neighborhood.

Hitting that number may be difficult given where we are in the offseason, but having multiple teams in pursuit would likely help push his salary higher.

The Texans and the Bears were involved in those early reports of interest in signing Warford, although PFT reported on Saturday that the Bears aren’t going to pursue the guard.

Comment

• Eric Ebron passes physical, ready for big things

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 15, 2020, 6:15 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Steelers agreed to a deal with free agent tight end Eric Ebron in March.

Nearly two months later, he’s finally able to finalize the deal.

Ebron tweeted that he’s passed his physical and feels good, predicting big things.

Eric Ebron@Ebron85
            Passed Physical. Running and cutting with no pain finally. I promise u this gone be something to watch.
            5:40 PM - May 14, 2020
            Twitter Ads info and privacy

621 people are talking about this

The former Lions and Colts tight end was coming off ankle surgery, but had 66 catches for 750 yards and 13 touchdowns in 2018 for the Colts, and could be a big part of the Steelers Offense if he’s well.

Comment

• The only big thing coming his way is the football he's going to drop.
              "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• A promise from Ebron85. Cash that check Pittsburgh. It will be "something" to watch indeed. When the rapist splits Ebrah's numbers like he does underage girls', ya boy gone be droppin dat shizz like it blazin'. Y'all finna be woked.

.....and shit.
                Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• Josh Johnson hoping for NFL opportunity, waiting to see future of XFL

Posted by Charean Williams on May 26, 2020, 7:07 PM EDT

Getty Images

Josh Johnson led the XFL with a 106.3 passer rating, throwing for 1,076 yards with 11 touchdowns and two interceptions in four games. It has not led to an NFL opportunity.

Johnson, 34, continues to prepare as if he will get one.

“I think about it every day,” the Los Angeles Wildcats quarterback told Gilbert Manzano of the Orange County Register. “I’m waiting for the opportunity call from the NFL. . . . One thing I’ve learned in the NFL, trying to stick around (requires) patience. You never know when an opportunity is going to come. So I just have to stay ready, and don’t let nothing bring it down because I might get the call at Week One or I might get the call at Week 16.”

Johnson has played for 13 NFL teams in 12 seasons, seeing action in 33 games with eight starts. The last time he played an NFL regular-season game was in 2018 for Washington when he started the final three games.

The end of the XFL was a “blow to the gut,” Johnson said, and he is watching to what happens to the spring league. A report Tuesday indicates “dozens of bidders” are reviewing the league’s financial information, with interest in buying the XFL and relaunching it next February.

“Hell yeah, I’d consider it,” Johnson said about playing in the XFL again. “We had unfinished business, and I was enjoying myself playing football. I was there to be a football player, and I was really enjoying that experience. I think it’s worth the try, especially if you still want to continue to stay in this game like I do. There’s not a lot of options as football players.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                    Josh Johnson hoping for NFL opportunity, waiting to see future of XFL

Posted by Charean Williams on May 26, 2020, 7:07 PM EDT

Getty Images

Josh Johnson led the XFL with a 106.3 passer rating, throwing for 1,076 yards with 11 touchdowns and two interceptions in four games. It has not led to an NFL opportunity.

Johnson, 34, continues to prepare as if he will get one.

“I think about it every day,” the Los Angeles Wildcats quarterback told Gilbert Manzano of the Orange County Register. “I’m waiting for the opportunity call from the NFL. . . . One thing I’ve learned in the NFL, trying to stick around (requires) patience. You never know when an opportunity is going to come. So I just have to stay ready, and don’t let nothing bring it down because I might get the call at Week One or I might get the call at Week 16.”

Johnson has played for 13 NFL teams in 12 seasons, seeing action in 33 games with eight starts. The last time he played an NFL regular-season game was in 2018 for Washington when he started the final three games.

The end of the XFL was a “blow to the gut,” Johnson said, and he is watching to what happens to the spring league. A report Tuesday indicates “dozens of bidders” are reviewing the league’s financial information, with interest in buying the XFL and relaunching it next February.

“Hell yeah, I’d consider it,” Johnson said about playing in the XFL again. “We had unfinished business, and I was enjoying myself playing football. I was there to be a football player, and I was really enjoying that experience. I think it’s worth the try, especially if you still want to continue to stay in this game like I do. There’s not a lot of options as football players.”
                    I hope it comes back. It seemed of all the NFL alternatives this one had the best shot and then the pandemic hit.
                    "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Damon Harrison: I’ve turned down some offers, not in a rush to sign

Posted by Josh Alper on June 11, 2020, 3:32 PM EDT

Getty Images

Defensive tackle Damon Harrison welcomed his release from the Lions in February, but he hasn’t found the right place to continue his career yet.

Harrison made an appearance on SiriusXM NFL Radio on Thursday and said that he’s looking to join “a winning program” for his ninth NFL season. He said he’s spoken to a variety of teams and is still negotiating with some of them, but doesn’t feel much urgency to get a deal done right now.

“I’ve turned down a few offers,” Harrison said. “I’m not in a rush to make a decision because I control where I go and want to be as informed as possible.”

Harrison started all 15 games he played for Detroit last season. He had 49 tackles and two sacks in those appearances and is No. 16 on our list of the top available free agents.

Comment

• How does one even get their lowest rib that fat? He has a muffin tippy top.
                        Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickalicious View Post
                          How does one even get their lowest rib that fat? He has a muffin tippy top.
                          Haha that's either his pads or fat sticking out from the pads
                          WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Longtime NFL coach Joe Bugel dies at 80

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 28, 2020, 2:07 PM EDT
                              Getty Images

Joe Bugel, who for many years was widely regarded as the best offensive line coach in the NFL, has died at the age of 80.

When Joe Gibbs became Washington’s head coach in 1981, he brought Bugel with him as offensive line coach, and also gave Bugel the titles of offensive coordinator and assistant head coach. Bugel promptly built up the offensive line, whom he collectively referred to as “The Hogs” into a force to be reckoned with in the NFL, and Bugel (sometimes known as “Boss Hog”) won two Super Bowl rings.

His stellar work in Washington got Bugel the head-coaching job with the Phoenix Cardinals, where he was less successful: Although he arrived with great fanfare and a promise to coach the same kind of tough, physical football players his Hogs were, it never worked in Phoenix, as the Cardinals finished below .500 in all four of his seasons.

Bugel later got another head-coaching job, with the Oakland Raiders in 1997, but that didn’t go well either: The Raiders went 4-12 and Bugel was fired after one year.

When Gibbs returned to be Washington’s head coach again in 2004, he again hired Bugel, who stayed in Washington until he retired from coaching after the 2009 season.

Bugel also spent time as an assistant coach at Western Kentucky, Navy, Iowa State and Ohio State, as well as with the Lions, Houston Oilers and San Diego Chargers.

Comment

• Ex-Lion Tom Vaughn dies at 77

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 5, 2020, 6:21 PM EDT

Getty Images

Tom Vaughn, a safety who spent his seven-year NFL career with the Lions, has died at the age of 77.

Vaughn played his college football at Iowa State, where he was all-Big Eight as a fullback in 1963 and then as a defensive back in 1964. He also led the Big Eight in punt returns as both a junior and a senior, and he’s a member of Iowa State’s Hall of Fame.

He was then drafted by both the Lions in the 1965 NFL draft and the Broncos in the 1965 AFL draft, choosing the Lions and playing in Detroit until retiring after the 1971 season. He appeared as himself in the 1968 movie Paper Lion about sportswriter George Plimpton’s attempt to participate in an NFL training camp.

After retiring as a player, Vaughn spent many years in coaching, starting with the Detroit Wheels of the World Football League and then at Iowa State, Missouri and Wyoming. He later worked as a high school teacher.

Comment

Working...
                                X