No announcement yet.

Off Topic: Soccer and NASCAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinda fitting that Scotland and England fight to an ugly, sloppy 0-0 draw that doesn't give either side any real hope.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
      Kinda fitting that Scotland and England fight to an ugly, sloppy 0-0 draw that doesn't give either side any real hope.
      More fitting that a hyped England squad doesn't have the quality to break down Scotland.
      Same as it ever was, same as it evvver was.
      I mean seriously, how do you get outshot by Scotland?

Comment

• Great result for Scotland. Needed “something” from the game and the point will do. The lads made a billion quids worth of “talent” look ordinary. And we all celebrated Phil Foden going off. We were like, “what???”
        Southgate, you are fucking clueless.

croatia @ hampden on Tuesday.

YES SIR, WE CAN BOOGIE!

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
        "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• England will get through and that's what matters. You never win a tournament in the group, so for their same you hope it was a milquetoast gameplay to secure a point. This is where the point about cohesion comes in, the English have a lot of talented players but they have a lot of redundancy. Some guys have to play different positions than they are used to, that's the standard in international soccer, but to get to around that, you need practice and tuneup games.

Comment

• England always go through. The media then heap pressure on and they go nowhere. Did you see Rio Ferdinand speaking pre game v Scotland game,……. the usual, “only one winner, never been as confident” bullshit. How he fails to understand that Scotland are littered with EPL players, (champions league winners) and are now being managed by a very aggressive style manager is beyond belief.
            England are so far up their own arses, they’re blind to reality.

Not sure exactly what you’re meaning regarding the milquetoast reference…… are you saying they were comfortable getting the draw v Scotland?
            As said, not sure entirely what you mean, but they were far from comfortable. They were rattled and frustrated and basically there for the taking. If not for some nice goalkeeping from Pickford after some sublime passages of play from Scotland, could’ve and should’ve been a Scotland win.
            Different game if Stones’ header doesn’t hit the post in the 12th minute as traditionally Scotland’s heads would’ve dropped. That was the luck the Scots needed in that game. That spurred the team on to a very good result and overall performance.

In true Scotland fashion, (like at Argentina 78, Spain 82, Mexico 86, Italia 90, France 98……. And Euro 92 & Euro 96) ……. fucking up v Croatia on Tuesday won’t be a shock!
            "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• No I meant the lineup, Southgate was playing for a draw. It was putting too much on Mount to be creative. They got to the semis of the last World Cup and they had trouble then with scoring in open play and he rolled out 2 defensive midfielders. As far as them being up their own asses, I'm in the States, so I don't see much of that. It doesn't surprise me, Rio Ferdinand might have been confident, but Southgate wasn't. He certainly wasn't by taking off Foden for Grealish, a guy going for a win finds a way to keep both of them on.

Comment

• See what you mean. From the outset they were definitely out to win, (obviously) but yes, as the game entered the hour mark, Southgate was looking increasingly worried. An “easy win” attitude quickly changed to a “mustn’t lose” way of thinking.
                Nothing they were doing moving forward in that second half was working. Tominay had Sterling in his back pocket. That was actually a humourous tweet made by someone over here.
                “Tominay is asking Southgate if he wants Sterling back for the Czech game!”

I hope both the Czechs and England play for the win but with finishing second in the group being more favourable for the draw for the last 16, could be the biggest non event in tournament history.

Comment

• The problem with England is they have a lot of good players, but I don't know if the players feel as if they have defined roles. The fact that people go nuts about these lineups suggests that they don't have defined roles and that's common for a team like that.

Then again it is still the group stage and the only objective is getting out of it. Portugal was pitiful in the last Euros group stage and they won it. France, Germany and Portugal have all had their weird hiccups already this year.

Comment

• I’ll partially differ on that belief that they don’t know their defined roles. I think they know full well what their roles are but they underestimate opponents. Especially Scotland.
                    They’ve been pointing fingers at Harry Kane not being as prolific. But he was dropping way deeper that usual because the service was being closed down in midfield. They need to accept that the standard is way higher and better than they think they are themselves. They’re in the last 16 but i believe that’ll be the end of the road for them.

My tip for eventual winners about to kick off v Wales. Italians looking very sharp indeed.

Comment

• This Ecuador/Venezuela game was epic.

Comment

• That'll be that then. OUT......, and 100% immune to the hurt since 1998.

Good luck to Croatia moving on.

Comment

• I was rooting for you Marko, I kept on telling my son Scotland was my dark horse.

Comment

• Need a prolific striker. Should’ve beat Czechs in the first game with so many chances..,,.. two czech counter attacks, 2-0 defeat. Was never happening after that game. Typical Scotland.
                            i actually said to a plumbing merchant worker this morning to “lighten the fk up”…….. guy all moody and overly pissed off.
                            You not used to it yet, you d!ck?? 🤦‍♂️

Comment

• Oh well, thats the Germany replica shirt on order for Tuesday night.

Just kidding……. But not so for wee cousin, Graham. He sent me a copy of his Amazon order slip for his Germany shirt which will be delivered tomorrow.

He takes “hating England” seriously! 🤦‍♂️

Comment

• This from McGlashan……. In the days when it was West Germany. Absolutely True, and absolutely hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                                X