No announcement yet.

Off Topic: Soccer and NASCAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had a hard time understanding how Southgate let two of his five penalty takers sit on ice for the entire extra time period - only bringing them on at the death - in the biggest game England has played in over 50 years. Those two were ice cold going into the penalty shootout - and it's not like they were grizzled veterans being called up to pinch hit in the World Series.

I missed most of the match, but did pick it up shortly before Chiellini grabbed Saka by the scruff of the neck with one hand and planted him like he was planting turnips. Professional foul, nothing to see here, carry on.

Comment

• The only injustice towards England was Jorginho not being sent off. His tackle on Grealish was shocking. Real leg breaker and thought the stretcher would've been required. Fair play to Grealish for playing on after that. Knees of steel!

And regardless of not being on, Rashford & Sanchos penalties were woeful. You don't need to “warm up” to fucking smash a ball from 12 yards. And the 5th pen taken by a 19 year old in the first final in 55 years? 🤷‍♂️ Unbelievable.

Southgate, in the end, was completely outfoxed tactically by Mancini. He changed formation quite significantly after half time and England were chasing shadows. The Italians should”ve won the game over 90mins on the 2nd half display.
      "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• I think Southgate did a great job the whole tournament but I'm not going to criticize too much, but I thought he was too slow to bring in subs. Maybe it was a case of scoring too early and trying to hold on for too long. When he brought on Sako and Grealish it changed the tenor of the game. Trying to hold on to a 1-0 lead for 87 minutes is always going to be thought.

Comment

• According to reports, Grealish made himself available for a penalty when they were discussing the order. For Saka to be ahead of Grealish in the pecking order is just mind blowing.
          It actually makes you think that “nicey nice” Southgate hasn’t really got masses of authority amongst them. Southgate should’ve had the 5 set.
          NO WAY would Saka be in that list pre kick off. He’s not even scored ANY goal from the spot for his club?
          Why is he taking the crucial kick in front of a UK only audience of 31M?
          Craziness.
          "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• Don’t get me wrong ——->> fucking delighted. But crazy.

Comment

• I didn't understand the penalty strategy. For fucks sake Pickford saved twice and they lost in 5 shots.

Comment

• Some England dude text the BBC Radio 2 radio station earlier saying, "Proud of the lads, and hey, what is the saying? Two out of three ain't bad."

I was in the van driving thinking, EH??? Had to pull over. Immediately text the station, "It was 2 out of 5 you plonker! And that is absolute pish for pro football players."

Didn't get aired.

Comment

• With Southgate, having the championship being decided by penalties was either a Hollywood feel good redemption or Checkov's gun. It turned into the latter. If I'm a manager, I'm doing everything I can to avoid penalties.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                    With Southgate, having the championship being decided by penalties was either a Hollywood feel good redemption or Checkov's gun. It turned into the latter. If I'm a manager, I'm doing everything I can to avoid penalties.
                    Well, his statistician should have been able to tell him that Donnarumma saves roughly 1 in every 3 penalties - and Pickford struggles to save 1 in 4. Before the game ever begins, that is probably the LAST place you want to go.

Comment

With Southgate, having the championship being decided by penalties was either a Hollywood feel good redemption or Checkov's gun. It turned into the latter. If I'm a manager, I'm doing everything I can to avoid penalties.
                      I think he deserves a bit of credit for instructing them to have the balls not to play so deep in the 2nd half of ET. A "go for it" attitude against arguably the best counter attacking side on the planet. But, didn't happen......, and Italy indeed could've won it with two minutes left......., that ball across the face of goal.
                      Can never understand why Phil Foden doesn't start. If he's got Foden on, Kane can concentrate on being the "tap in" guy for a large portion of the 90, ......, Foden can create something out of nothing every time down the right hand side.

Comment

• Don't know if you guys get access to BBC announcers but in the last two minutes of extra time when Italy were passing it across the back constantly, they were saying the ball MUST go out of play so they can get Rashford on. If the game ends and Rashford isn't on the park, he can't take a penalty......, "We need our best penalty taker on"......, borderline panic.

Bet they wish Chiellini kept the ball now. Arguably the worst PK in Euro history. Stuttering run up pish.

Comment

• Foden was unavailable, he got hurt in training.

Comment

Foden was unavailable, he got hurt in training.
                            Ah, ok. I didn't know that.

Ok, last word from me on Engerland before Scotland win the World Cup in Qatar '22. ........, (Oops, being a deluded fucker there!)

Comment

• Text to say that Froot Loops is correct…..

Its Hibs v Arsenal tonight at Easter Road. Only 2000 fans allowed in and i’m not one of them. But i’ll be watching on the ipad through HIBSTV.

Definitely not done with this sport.

‘MON THE CABBAGE!

Comment

• Last thing on that game, I get they aren't going to call Chiellini for a red. But that's a dangerous play, it should be a red it is a torn ACL waiting to happen and it took a potential scoring situation away.

Comment

Working...
                                X