Off Topic: Soccer and NASCAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was Southhampton. Here's an article about it:

An extensive look at Saints' plan, which begins this July, to help develop young players and coaches in the USA and Canada.
    Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• I for one would be flabbergasted if Southampton could pull something like this off - because then you'd have a chain reaction not only with other English clubs but the best clubs in the world.

Looking at how Southampton does things though, they are going to have a lot of hurdles to negotiate in the VAST expanse of the U.S. Essentially, kids leave their parents to attend these academies - and yes at 8 years old. It's a cultural thing that probably isn't going to translate well to the U.S. culture, and the Government for that matter.

Comment

• Barca, Ajax and Everton are also doing this.

Comment

• You might want to see why they are doing this first.

If a Barcelona 2 week camp costs this much:

How much do you think it's going to cost people to have their kids enrolled in an academy for years?

Comment

• What makes it even more admirable is that Southampton were a third tier side (League One) for a few seasons less than ten years ago. The new owners really turned that club around in a positive and correct way.
            "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Meanwhile, the Cleveland Browns owners bought Aston Villa...

Comment

• Is that why they were relegated? :smile:
                "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Numerous issues with US Soccer, but I think the main one is we have done it the American way. In other words, people are making money off of youth soccer. It ends up being the kids with the $ who play, not necessarily the best players...or potentially the best players.

Comment

• I think Lerner just agreed to offload Villa to a Chinese owner, he was a disaster as owner.

Lem brings up a good point about the money aspect. I don't think that is ever going away, it is kind of how all the sports go.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                      I think Lerner just agreed to offload Villa to a Chinese owner, he was a disaster as owner.

Lem brings up a good point about the money aspect. I don't think that is ever going away, it is kind of how all the sports go.
                      Have you seen what Barca charges for kids to attend their academies?

The idea that youth programs in Europe aren't all about the money is silly. They have better talent getting better instruction. U.S. soccer gets what's left after baseball, basketball, and football get their pick, and that second-tier talent is taught by second-tier coaches managed by shitty organizations in a culture that still doesn't particularly put much value in the sport (those factors, for the record, are of increasing importance).

That's the difference.
                      Last edited by chemiclord; June 6, 2016, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• People talk about soccer getting the leftovers after football, baseball and basketball. I've worked with or coached all three sports and I think that is overblown. I've worked with the same football team for nearly 20 years and we do not get the best athletes and we've been to the state playoffs 15 out of 16 years and the soccer team gets a lot of the better athletes. And really football is an older sport, we actually gets soccer players who washed out.

Baseball does not get the best athletes from what I have seen.

People like to rely on that, but I don't really see it. But I'm in Michigan so maybe it's a unique situation.

pANDs

As far as the money thing in Europe, I would have no idea. I've read analyses that blame the US pay for play system as a culprit. But I have no I sight on whether it is true or not.
                        Last edited by froot loops; June 6, 2016, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Dude... the link to Barca's camps and their cost is right in this thread. If you can't see it, I'd wonder how you even found this forum at all.

Five grand for a two week camp. What the hell is that if not pay to play?

Comment

• I saw the link and read it, but I'm not sure that is the same thing as what Lem is talking about.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                              I saw the link and read it, but I'm not sure that is the same thing as what Lem is talking about.
                              Right, I'm talking about the travel team for 9 or 10 year olds where the parents have to spend $500-4500 a year. If a low income kid has a park nearby and a few buddies, he can shoot hoops. Or if a kid is big and/or fast enough, someone will make sure he's on a rocket football team.

Comment

• Hoops has the lowest entry level from my experience, it's not that much to get started in a league. If you can play then teams find you.

Baseball actually has the same problem as that in Soccer. If you want your kid to progress in baseball or softball you are committing time and money at a field.

I'm only going by my experience, there isn't some rational process that herds the best athletes to football, baseball and basketball. It is random from what I've seen, based on what the sport the parents like. maybe basketball has the most of that because of height.

Football, you can start playing in 9th grade and be good. If you start basketball, soccer or baseball at that age it is too late.

Comment

Working...
                                X