No announcement yet.

Off Topic: Soccer and NASCAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Nope. I'm done watching any of that crapfest.

If its any consolation, I used to enjoy playing Playstation FIFA in short spurts. Those bicycle kicks were fun.

Watching the real thing is like pulling teeth. Probably in the same way you think of a 1-0 no-hitter baseball game in the states. I live for that type of BASEBALL game.

Enjoy your futbol tournament. ;)
      19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
        Watching the real thing is like pulling teeth. Probably in the same way you think of a 1-0 no-hitter baseball game in the states. I live for that type of BASEBALL game.
        "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• If the Ref and his crew can't spot a first class mugging by two guys like the guy from Serbia got today then that crew needs to be sent packing. A lot of NFL players struggle with that tackling technique. I don't blame that guy one bit for getting in the ref's grille. Maybe it's that double-standard that refs who aren't used to even dealing with VAR are having to adjust to - i.e. swallow your whistle, pocket your flags an let stuff happen - VAR has your back. Thats a bad thing to get in the heads of referees, thats how you lose games, especially one with tempermental teams to begin with.

Comment

Nope. I'm done watching any of that crapfest.

If its any consolation, I used to enjoy playing Playstation FIFA in short spurts. Those bicycle kicks were fun.

Enjoy your futbol tournament. ;)
            1-0 No-no is great, but you have to still go through like an hour of commercials, guys grabbing their crotches, 5 pitching changes by the opposition team trying to keep it close and watch modern day players absolutely have no clue how to move a runner into scoring position - so even if you are lucky enough to get that 1st hit you still can't do any real damage. Meanwhile they have started the 2nd soccer match of the day and are at halftime.

Comment

• But advanced stats says that moving runners doesn't work
              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• When you can't get a hit against a guy, you might want to rethink what isn't working that night and try something different - like get the guy to pitch out of the stretch with a runner in scoring position or something.

Comment

• Heh, heh. I still say it has to do with your youth.

When I grew up, everyone in the neighborhood played baseball. We (my 2 brothers and me) were the only ones that knew what a soccer ball looked like. On Sundays, my Dad's entire family would get together on Bell Isle. We would spend the day, cook out and a never ending game of soccer. Everyone was allowed to play no matter how big or how fast.

When picking up games in the neighborhood, if we couldn't get 10-12 people to play baseball or football, we would them introduce soccer to our friends. Because of the skill it took to advance the ball with just your feet, we did not play a lot of it nor was it ever the focus of any discussion on whether it was noble enough.

When we got into Jr. High and High School, Phys Ed was mandatory and they always had a period where soccer was the focus. Well, in Jr. High, the only kids who knew how to kick a soccer ball was the Malts and the kids from their hood. We would pick teams of all kids that had some exposure due to our summer slacking off and completely destroy the "tournament". The Phys Ed teacher got wise and then started forming teams himself.
                  I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Hahahahaha! That's great. The Scicluna's RULE!!
                    "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• Great day for the soccer today:
                      Belgium v Tunisia
                      S Korea v Mexico
                      Germany v Sweden.

Got beer, burgers and cool original Doritos with salsa dips all ready.

Comment

• "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

Comment

• Contrary to what some world leaders might say... Mexico frequently sends their best to other countries.

Comment

• Keep your eyes on the field, son.
                              19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

Keep your eyes on the field, son.
                                Good advice for the South Korean striker!

Comment

Working...
                                X