Off Topic: Soccer and NASCAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

EPL games tend to be "total pish" if you're looking for free-flowing, high-flying, attacking style of play.
    Last edited by Marko69; June 1, 2019, 06:20 PM.
    "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Yeah I'm not sure what games he is watching, they are fairly high scoring.

Leave old man Milner alone.

Comment

• "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• You are overrating that, Milner is a class act.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
            I predict this.

soccer goal GIF
            That is awesome.
            "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• If you say so. I see a TON of EPL games that if there are two goals between them, it's a remarkable event. Outside of City and Liverpool, the EPL games I see turn into slogfests quickly.

Both Liverpool/Tottenham games this year were 2-1 and fairly slow-paced. I'm not sure why anyone would have thought this game would be any different.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                You are overrating that, Milner is a class act.
                "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                  Outside of City and Liverpool, the EPL games I see turn into slogfests quickly.
                  Arsenal may not be getting league results but they play some real open, free flowing soccer. Understand though. Brighton v Southampton a few weeks ago was rated Big being the south coast derby, ...... switched off at HT.

Watched a Hamburg promotion game from the. Bundesliga 2 a few weeks ago. My God, that was worse than watching Hibs.

Comment

• Guilty as charged. Call me Pishmeister.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post

Arsenal may not be getting league results but they play some real open, free flowing soccer. Understand though. Brighton v Southampton a few weeks ago was rated Big being the south coast derby, ...... switched off at HT.

Watched a Hamburg promotion game from the. Bundesliga 2 a few weeks ago. My God, that was worse than watching Hibs.
                      Yeah, I should amend and acknowledge it's not just the EPL specifically. When you get two teams from the same league in these European trophies, they tend to turn into some pretty conservative affairs. Two teams well versed in each other, knowing exactly what the other side is going to want to do, and actively trying to deny those tendencies... the odds that it's going to turn into a slog is pretty high. Hell, even La Liga (supposedly the superior, entertaining league with all its stars and fast pace) have teams that grind the games to a halt.

Comment

• This has been a very good match in womens WC between Australia and Norway, which is going to penalties. Started kinda slow, but boy did it open up in the 2nd half.
                        Norway has had 3 opportunities that could have won the game which if you add it up missed by a total of the length of your index finger.

Norway 4-1 on penalties. In the end they were the better team and deserved to go through to knockout stage. They simply owned the midfield for most of the game and created by far the best chances in the game.
                        Last edited by Fraquar; June 22, 2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post
                          ....and deserved to go through to knockout stage.
                          Not watching much of this World Cup, but wasn't this already the Knockout stage? Last 16?

What is evident on whats been witnessed so far ------> next season with VAR in the EPL will be an absolute farce. Shambles.

Why the soccer Gods cannot just do what you Americans do and have the quick deciding guy in the booth is beyond me. All this "TV shapes" by the ref, and then walking to a TV screen, then everyone holds their breath in anticipation for the big decision from essentially the fucking tosser in the black.

Guy in booth watches the incident from 45 thousand different camera angles; informs the ref; job done.

Comment

• What you are seeing with VAR in Soccer is what we've been living with in U.S. sports for over a dozen years. It's only going to get worse, not better.
                            VAR/Instant Replay is like a disease, it just keeps spreading until it makes a mockery of the flow of the game you love - and even then they still don't get calls right.

Comment

• IMO, there are only two things that should ever even be looked at with VAR in Soccer - thats it.
                              1) Did the ball fully cross the line - if it did it's a goal, if it didn't it's not.
                              2) Did the ball fully cross the line by an otherwise clear illegal action by the goal scoring team.

Thats it. Looking for pubic hair width sized off sides calls, awarding penalties (especially when no clear cut scoring opportunity even presented itself) after the fact, etc, these things simply don't belong in the game.

Soccer should take the NHL's way of doing reviews, and run as fast as absolutely possible away from the NFL way of doing reviews.

Comment

• Good post and totally agree.

Just to add, there are not many faster games than Australian Rules Football......., they have the guy in the booth review system and its very fast indeed. Even when the reviews run into 15-20 seconds, the commentators are saying, "Awww come on, whats going on?"

Comment

Working...
                                X