Announcement

Collapse

Please update your bookmarks!!

If you use a bookmark as a way of getting to this site, please update it. The new link should include https:// before the rest of the URL. If you are having difficulty logging in, this is likely the cause.

Thanks and happy football season!
See more
See less

NFL News

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah when they first started the new rules it was a 15 minute OT. In a 10 minute OT, if the first team kicks a field goal, a tie a good possibility. A third possession is not going to have much time.

Comment

• No one likes a tie and they’ve happened more than ever the last few seasons. Annoying the league voted for it.

Comment

• it's the "for the health of the players PC BS gone crazy, really. Surprised there are still punt returns, actually

Comment

• Yes, blame political correctness. Because the NFL is all about that...

definitely has nothing to do with NFL teams wanting to take better care of their major investments, or anything.

Comment

• Was it really that big a problem? There aren’t that many overtime games and the vast majority of them are settled before the 10-15 minute period.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post
              Is it time to go back to 15 minutes of overtime? All this reduced period has done is create more ties. I really don’t think 5 more minutes a season (if that) is going to make a difference to player safety.
              There was nothing wrong with the original OT Sudden Death rules, the League just failed to understand what was changing the odds so heavily in favor of the receiving team - the kicking game. For the first 20 years of the rule ('74 to '94) there was ZERO advantage to getting the ball first - your chances of winning were identical if you kicked off first.

Today, you got kickers banging home FG's from ranges teams didn't even attempt FG's from in that era, and to compound it you've given the receiving team the ball 5 yards CLOSER to FG range on a Touchback.

Here's a thought, just eliminate the kickoff in OT and start teams at their 10 yard line. Leave it Sudden Death, because lets face it if you let a team move the ball 50+ yards on you that team deserves a chance to win the game right then an there.

Comment

• Typical NFL stupidity to even have a tie. Why not just copy what the NCAA does? It's perfect.

Something else that would be cool is having a "kickoff." Start both kickers at like the 40 yd line or whatever and alternate. Then move it back 5 yds. That would be the thing to do if they cared about "safety."

Comment

• There's nothing wrong with a tie. I remember the old days when the NHL had ties instead of a shootout.

The NCAA idea of overtime is silly. Can you imagine NFL games going 6 overtimes? The injury rate is already high in the NFL, why put the players at extended risk when a tie is a perfectly acceptable result in the regular season?
                  The Detroit Lions... where eleven men on the field is merely a suggestion.

Comment

• I like the "kickoff" idea. Sort of like a shootout in soccer/hockey.

I will never be a fan of ties......ever. You play a measly 16 games in football. Ties are whack.

Comment

• I'm not a big fan of the college OT, it serves it's purpose but it's kind of a gimmick in my opinion.

Comment

• My brother in law played for Central Michigan, his senior year they were 6-1-4.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
                          Typical NFL stupidity to even have a tie. Why not just copy what the NCAA does? It's perfect.

Something else that would be cool is having a "kickoff." Start both kickers at like the 40 yd line or whatever and alternate. Then move it back 5 yds. That would be the thing to do if they cared about "safety."
                          I really like that idea. I have more confidence in Prater then the offense as a whole.
                          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Meanwhile...

Akeem Spence feels bad for players still on the Dolphins

Posted by Josh Alper on September 12, 2019, 6:49 AM EDT

Getty Images

Getting released around the cut to 53 players is a tough pill for many players to swallow, but it has turned out pretty well for defensive tackle Akeem Spence.

Spence was released by the Dolphins in late August and that means he got to avoid being part of last Sunday’s 59-10 loss to the Dolphins. His week got better when his agent called him on Monday to tell him that the Eagles were interested in signing him after losing Malik Jackson to a foot injury.

“It just so happened, around 3 or 4, I’m taking my clothes to the cleaners, I see my agent called me,” Spence said, via the Philadelphia Inquirer. “He asked me, how would I like the opportunity to be on a Super Bowl contender? I said, ‘Who wouldn’t?'”

Spence called the Eagles a “first class” organization and said playing the Eagles system with former Dolphins defensive coordinator Matt Burke is “the perfect fit for me.” He suggested that playing in Miami in 2019 was on the extreme other end of the spectrum for his former teammates.

“I feel bad for ’em. . . . Those guys don’t have any control over what’s going on. . . . It’s one of those things, man, you shake your head on,” Spence said.

We’ve heard that some Miami players would like to join Spence as ex-Dolphins, but the Eagles and Dolphins will meet on December 1 should any Dolphins want to show Spence where he can stow his pity.
                            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Did Decker inflate the numbers all by himself?

Offensive holding fouls up nearly 30 percent in Week One

Posted by Mike Florio on September 11, 2019, 4:56 PM EDT

Getty Images

The NFL specifically wants to eliminate the backside “lobster” block by offensive players. That new focal point undoubtedly contributed to a spike in offensive holding fouls for Week One.

According to the league, the initial 16 games of the 2019 season resulted in 83 offensive holding calls, or 5.18 per game. That’s an increase from 64 in Week One last year, or four per game.

The league didn’t have the specific number of backside holds, but it’s clear that the NFL wants to get that technique out of the game.

“I’m on one of the committees that sends things to the Competition Committee, and there was a big emphasis on the backside of runs,” Vikings coach Mike Zimmer told reporters on Wednesday. “There are some teams that are just really bad, and they just go out there and they grab the linebacker and do this, or they grab . . . the defensive end and do this. They wanted to get that out of the game, so they made a point of emphasis on it. Actually, [Jaguars executive V.P. of football operations] Tom Coughlin is on that same committee, and he put together the tape on that. It was so long you couldn’t watch it all. It was just really, really bad, and so that’s what they’re trying to get out of the game.”

Zimmer acknowledged that this is one of the rare situations where a rules emphasis actually helps the defense.

“I hope it gets corrected, that’s what I hope,” Zimmer said. “I hope teams stop doing it, but if they don’t, they should throw the flag. It’s cheating.”

The more it gets caught and called, the more teams will shy away from doing it.

Comment

• Sad news...

Petara Cordero, girlfriend of Browns’ Chris Smith, hit by car and killed

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 11, 2019, 2:59 PM EDT
                                Getty Images

Petara Cordero, the girlfriend of Browns defensive end Chris Smith, was struck and killed by a car this morning after the two of them had been in a minor accident.

Smith was driving and Cordero was his passenger when a tire malfunction caused his car to spin out and hit a median. Neither Smith nor Cordero was injured, but when Cordero got out of the car, she was hit by a passing vehicle and killed.

Words cannot describe the sorrow we feel for Chris following the loss of his girlfriend, Petara,” Browns owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam said in a statement. “Our entire organization mourns with Chris, his family and the Cordero family. We will do everything possible to offer them our support, comfort and any resources in this most difficult time.”

Police say Smith was not impaired, but the driver of the car that hit Cordero admitted she had been drinking and toxicology tests on her are pending.

Smith and Cordero have a baby daughter who was born last month.

Comment

Working...
                                X