Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love the direction of this team but passing on Mitchell was so
    stupid. Granted if Mitchell is drafted it would have prolonged SVG in Detroit.

Even draft experts saw the Kennard to Stan Build a F’ing Wall from a mile away.
    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Wiggins and Jabari Parker looked as good back then, none of these guys look like top shelf stars. Getting the top pick is nice but the 5th or 6th guy might be just as good. After that, there seems to be a dropoff. But just look at these drafts, in the 90s it was.much more likely you were getting a top guy with a top 5 pick, as the years have gone by and you draft younger and younger players it is a much bigger crapshoot.

The lottery will happen, the draft will happen, but this is the time to be watching basketball not worrying about a draft. Drafts are the most boring thing in sports. The upcoming Bucks Nets series is going to be a war. It is going to be great.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
        Wiggins and Jabari Parker looked as good back then, none of these guys look like top shelf stars. Getting the top pick is nice but the 5th or 6th guy might be just as good. After that, there seems to be a dropoff. But just look at these drafts, in the 90s it was.much more likely you were getting a top guy with a top 5 pick, as the years have gone by and you draft younger and younger players it is a much bigger crapshoot.

The lottery will happen, the draft will happen, but this is the time to be watching basketball not worrying about a draft. Drafts are the most boring thing in sports. The upcoming Bucks Nets series is going to be a war. It is going to be great.
        What time do the Pistons play?
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• They ain't playing Hoss, it doesn't mean you shouldn't watch these games. If you only watch when the Pistons are contenders you'll be missing a lot of good hoops.

Comment

• Pistons to hire John Beilein as senior adviser of player development: Source

By James L. Edwards III and The Athletic Staff

The Detroit Pistons are expected to hire former Cleveland Cavaliers and Michigan Wolverines coach John Beilein as their senior adviser of player development, a source confirmed to The Athletic. The New York Times first reported the news.

Beilein, 68, was last in the NBA as the head coach of the Cavaliers during the 2019-20 season. He coached just 54 games before announcing his resignation from his post, becoming just the third first-year head coach in NBA history to coach the opener but not complete the season.

Before that, Beilein was the longtime coach of the Michigan Wolverines from 2007-19, where he became the school's winningest coach with an overall record of 278-150.

How Beilein fits with Pistons

James L. Edwards III, Pistons beat writer: Beilein's NBA coaching career might not have worked out in Cleveland, but there was a reason why the Cavaliers were so eager to hire him. At Michigan, Beilein was heralded for developing prospects and turning them into NBA players. Names like Caris LeVert and Duncan Robinson are some of the standouts.

While his style of coaching and communicating might not have translated in the NBA, everyone you talk to speaks highly of Beilein's knowledge of the game and philosophies. Detroit has a young core in place and its ability to develop these players will dictate the franchise's future. Beilein will be trusted eyes and ears as an observer for Dwane Casey and his staff.
            What did he show in Cleveland?

Edwards: I don't think Beilein's previous situation impacted the Pistons' decision to hire him. This new role allows Beilein to be in the shadows and lend a helping hand as an observer to a coaching staff that must develop a crop of young players in order to bring the Pistons back to relevancy.

Beilein is someone Casey wanted to bring in and someone he has had great respect for as a person and basketball mind. He'll be another trusted voice in the room.

(Photo: Kathryn Riley / Getty Images)

Comment

They ain't playing Hoss, it doesn't mean you shouldn't watch these games. If you only watch when the Pistons are contenders you'll be missing a lot of good hoops.
              I grew up watching some of the best. 'm sorry but the lack of resistance (defense) makes it fairly hard to watch. We disagree on this, but, it equates more as a skills contest then actual team competition.

I actually liked the big man and hard fouls. Gave the game a gritty feel that it was a man's game. Of course NOW many kids come in and excel even if their bodies aren't mature. Some sport there for ya.

Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Beilein! Love it.
                He was excellent at teaching fundamentals at M. Passing the ball... running smart offensive plays... low turnover rate.
                It was also very common for lower rated prospects to develop year to year.
                Defense was lacking until Beilein hired a defensive guru in Luke Yaklich. That’s how Beilein’s teams were elite there during his last two years at M.

Love that Beilein will be involved because he is my favorite coach/ manager in the last ~20 years when it comes to Michigan teams. Lions, Tigers, Pistons, M football, and M basketball.
                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

I grew up watching some of the best. 'm sorry but the lack of resistance (defense) makes it fairly hard to watch. We disagree on this, but, it equates more as a skills contest then actual team competition.

I actually liked the big man and hard fouls. Gave the game a gritty feel that it was a man's game. Of course NOW many kids come in and excel even if their bodies aren't mature. Some sport there for ya.
                  The defense is better these days, it's just that the offense is so much better now that it looks like these guys aren't playing defense. Look at pick and roll defense is done now versus then. Back in the Bad Boys era, it was fairly unique that Chuck Daly's offense ran so many pick and rolls. Nowadays, if you have a guy who cannot switch on a pick and roll, you are toast defensively. Those legendary Piston teams were great defensively and had one guy who could switch.

Run of the mill playoff teams would wipe the floor with some of the best teams of the 80s. All that banging down low that you like was in large part because the offensive skills of those players weren't as advanced.

Comment

• Back-to-the-basket is a skill. The average NBA fan of today doesn't like or care for it, but it's beautiful when done correctly and should always be a part of real basketball.

And these teams would wilt and just want to fight as soon as those teams from the 90s got physical. Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.

Comment

• Those physical guys of the 90s would need to be able to regularly guard a pick and roll 27 feet from the rim. Watch last night's highlights of Dame.

Back to the basket skills are neat to watch, most of the players back then weren't skilled enough to make it worth the while. You had a handful of players who could do it good enough.

I always get a kick out of people who bitched about Rasheed shooting threes instead of using his turnaround. Rasheed was right and the critics were dead wrong.

Comment

• You're moving goal posts. What rules is this mythical game being played under? Today's pansy-az rules? Or yester-years' man' man rules? I don't see how either wins outside of their time's rules. They are that different.

I loved Sheed's game (except leaving Horry open) because he was a complete player. Anything you could ask for a guy his height, he could deliver at a all-star level.

Rasheed is old school. He bitched about the rules being to pansy back then. You think he would be happy with the rules today? He played physical but smart, but he was never going to be a fan/league/ref favorite so they were always looking to call bs on him. And that has been exasperated today.

Basketball is the only sport that openly talks about cheating as if it is okay depending on who the cheat is for. I like teams. I love TEAM sports. BB has gone to being a team sport to a group of individuals. I am not missing anything I would care to see.

Comment

• Not moving the goal posts, the rule changes have nothing to do with the advance is shooting, specifically three point shooting. Your team has to be able to shoot threes and defend threes. There was noboby in your salad days of yesteryear who could shoot like Steph or Dame. And they aren't the only ones, it changes everything about the game. Rasheed would make it in today's game because he had the skillset you needed to survive. He was derided for shooting threes because he was only supposed to be a post player.

Comment

• Well, to be fair, Rasheed got criticized mostly because he wasn't quite good enough from three (his career % was around 33%, whereas Steph Curry is around 43%) where it obviously tilts in the three-ball's favor. Meanwhile, he was just good enough inside that it looked like the more reliable option (even though in reality it was pretty much a wash in terms of point production).

So yeah, Sheed was "right," but it wasn't going to be apparent without a fairly deep dive into analytics that didn't really exist at that time.

Comment

• Anyways, last night was a great game. Go watch the highlights if you missed it, talking about the glory days of yesteryear is boring.

One last thing about the physical nature of the old days, giving hard fouls has its place, but always understand when you resort to that it is a failure of defense. It is a last resort option because your team couldn't stay in front of their man.

Comment

The defense is better these days, it's just that the offense is so much better now that it looks like these guys aren't playing defense. Look at pick and roll defense is done now versus then. Back in the Bad Boys era, it was fairly unique that Chuck Daly's offense ran so many pick and rolls. Nowadays, if you have a guy who cannot switch on a pick and roll, you are toast defensively. Those legendary Piston teams were great defensively and had one guy who could switch.

Run of the mill playoff teams would wipe the floor with some of the best teams of the 80s. All that banging down low that you like was in large part because the offensive skills of those players weren't as advanced.
                                Yep. It is a much more athletic game these days. A lot more ground for the defense to cover. A guy like Larry Bird would still be very good in today's game but he would get killed on defense with his lack of foot speed.
                                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Working...
                                X