No announcement yet.

Matt Stafford is the suckiest suck to ever suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like him or hate him, Valenti nails my feelings...

Comment

• Hey, DWT ^^^^^^^ ........, you're a Spartans fan! High 5!
      "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.â€

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Never listened to Valenti but what's not to like if that's his angle? EVERYTHING HE RELAYED WAS TRUE.

Btw, if that's what it takes to run a successful podcast, I can do that all.day.long. Right off the cuff, no less.
        19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Think Bill Burr does a monday morning podcast and talks about the Patriots. That must be boring with them always winning.
          "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.â€

Comment

• My favorite he covered there, the whole we don't want to open it up because the defense sucks. Biggest cop out there is. The offense should be trying to score every time they get the ball until the coaches call the dogs off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post
              My favorite he covered there, the whole we don't want to open it up because the defense sucks. Biggest cop out there is. The offense should be trying to score every time they get the ball until the coaches call the dogs off.
              Proof of such was the shootout between Mahomes (3rd ever NFL game, on the road to a place the team hadnt won at since 1986) and Roethlisberger. Can't stop anyone? Just keep scoring. Sort things out later.
              ??????

Not too much to ask of a 10 year vet QB that is portrayed as one of best in the NFL.
              Last edited by Panoptes; September 17, 2018, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                Never listened to Valenti but what's not to like if that's his angle? EVERYTHING HE RELAYED WAS TRUE.

Btw, if that's what it takes to run a successful podcast, I can do that all.day.long. Right off the cuff, no less.
                What's not to like about it is the same problem with every other whiny member of the Hater's Club.

It lets everyone else off the hook.

Yeah. Stafford missed at least five open throws. Sure. He didn't play well at all. We get it. WE ALL FUCKING GET IT.

So let's just cut his ass. That'll solve the problem. Right?

What about Reddick dropping a third down pass on the final drive that hit him in the fucking hands? When are we cutting him? Where's the demands for the Lions find someone else to replace Diggs who gave away the game with a boneheaded unnecessary penalty? When are we casting away Jerrod Davis? Taylor Decker? I mean, I've got a list of names here of shitstains who have been shitting the bed.

But no... the idiots want to think somehow dumping Stafford then replacing him with this nebulous "somebody else" will somehow turn this team on an upward trajectory. And that's simply shortsighted bullshit. That's the same fucking scapegoating that the Lions have been able to get away with for the last thirty some odd fucking years. We just need to replace this one guy (whether its the QB or the Head Coach or someone in the front office)... and it'll all finally manage to come together.

We've done it with Scott Mitchell, Wayne Fontes, Joey Harrington, Chuck Long, Daryll Rogers, Matt Millen... etc etc etc. Scapegoat after scapegoat. And nothing ever improves.

Fuck off, pull your head out of your ass, and accept that this team isn't one guy away. It doesn't matter who the QB is right now. No one is winning with this loaded diaper of a roster.
                Last edited by chemiclord; September 17, 2018, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                  Never listened to Valenti but what's not to like if that's his angle? EVERYTHING HE RELAYED WAS TRUE.

What's not to like is he's an absolute garbage human being, who trades in lowest common denominator populist rubbish, and is interested in his own ego. Nothing else. He's a bully, who treats his colleagues appallingly, and doesn't even go to a single press conference to face those he sits abusing week after week, year after year, from his studio.

We live in a world in which increasingly, garbage human beings are celebrated for "telling it like it is". But actually, they don't. They just seem like they do. The reality is almost never as bad, never as simple, as garbage human beings like him always paint it as. That's his job: sensationalise, provoke, exaggerate, whip up anger and whip up hate. It's an awful job. People like him bring sports journalism into disrepute.

This is the kind of guy Valenti is. I swear he'd turn unplug someone's life support machine if his cellphone needed charging.

Comment

• Originally posted by thebigfeller View Post
                    We live in a world in which increasingly, garbage human beings are celebrated for "telling it like it is".......
                    It's Gordon Ramsay's fault, TBF. He started verbally abusing folk for overcooked broccoli 20 years ago. Now the verbal abusing is the norm.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                      Think Bill Burr does a monday morning podcast and talks about the Patriots. That must be boring with them always winning.
                      I'm sure you know that is his team since he's from Bahhhstun. So are the Celtics, Red Sox and Bruins.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

What's not to like about it is the same problem with every other whiny member of the Hater's Club.

It lets everyone else off the hook.

Yeah. Stafford missed at least five open throws. Sure. He didn't play well at all. We get it. WE ALL FUCKING GET IT.

So let's just cut his ass. That'll solve the problem. Right?

What about Reddick dropping a third down pass on the final drive that hit him in the fucking hands? When are we cutting him? Where's the demands for the Lions find someone else to replace Diggs who gave away the game with a boneheaded unnecessary penalty? When are we casting away Jerrod Davis? Taylor Decker? I mean, I've got a list of names here of shitstains who have been shitting the bed.

But no... the idiots want to think somehow dumping Stafford then replacing him with this nebulous "somebody else" will somehow turn this team on an upward trajectory. And that's simply shortsighted bullshit. That's the same fucking scapegoating that the Lions have been able to get away with for the last thirty some odd fucking years. We just need to replace this one guy (whether its the QB or the Head Coach or someone in the front office)... and it'll all finally manage to come together.

We've done it with Scott Mitchell, Wayne Fontes, Joey Harrington, Chuck Long, Daryll Rogers, Matt Millen... etc etc etc. Scapegoat after scapegoat. And nothing ever improves.

Fuck off, pull your head out of your ass, and accept that this team isn't one guy away. It doesn't matter who the QB is right now. No one is winning with this loaded diaper of a roster.
                        Indeed. And it's not just a question of this either.

Has anyone on this forum heard of the idea of 'complementary football'? I understand if some haven't, because I've been following this sport since the late 80s/early 90s, and it took me years to figure it out. Successful football teams are never just about their quarterback, their offense, or their defense. They're about how the whole thing fits together.

Like a few other teams, the Lions tried the Run and Shoot between 89 and 91. And sure, it improved the offense hugely... at the expense of the defense, which found itself worn down by being out there so damn long week after week. That's why the scheme's many critics pointed to individual games such as Lions 38, Redskins 41 (1990), Broncos 26, Oilers 24 (1991), or most famously, Bills 41 Oilers 38 (1992) as evidence that it just wouldn't work. It couldn't possibly work. It wore out defenses, was useless outdoors in the cold or wet (the '91 Falcons bigged themselves up, puffed their chests out, and collapsed in a heap in a Washington downpour), and inevitably, was a disaster in the red zone. Where teams wouldn't just fail to score - but as in the Jan '94 playoff against the Packers, would chuck a fateful, tide-turning (for both franchises, seemingly forever), 99-yard pick six. The Run and Shoot was magnificent... but it wasn't war.

Of course, the answer lay in integrating its best bits and ditching its liabilities. Most NFL teams have since then. The modern-day Spread? It's the Run and Shoot made good. Modern-day NFL offenses have incorporated its best bits, the West Coast/Ohio River Offense's best bits, Air Coryell's best bits, and Air Raid's best bits... so running the ball's practically gone out of fashion.

So too, apart from the odd exception (2013 Seahawks or 2015 Broncos), has really incredible defensive teams. What jumps out at me about all the game's all-time great defenses is none of them were part of a team with a great quarterback or great offense. The '85 Bears, '86 Giants, '00 Ravens, '02 Buccaneers, or the two teams I mentioned above, were all so defensively oriented that their offenses fed into that. Keep it simple, don't do anything dumb, let the opponents' offense beat itself. The extraordinary '91 Eagles - hands down, the best defense of all time - had no proper QB at all after Randall Cunningham was hurt in week 1, yet still almost made the playoffs regardless.

But the whole sport's moving forward so fast that the reigning Champions, as well as boasting a great defense (which today's game being what it is, still gave up over 30 points in the Super Bowl), needed either a great QB (Wentz) or someone able to do Wentz' job exactly as well (Foles). The Lions need that too. They need an entire roster built for the long term which complements one another. Including not one, but two very good QBs (watch the Patriots slide once Brady either declines or quits); including very good, hardened players who understand different schemes and aren't dependent on one coordinator or another; an entire team which isn't built just for indoor conditions (look what happened to last year's Vikings in the cold in Philadelphia; or in a different way, to the 2016 Falcons: like their forebears 25 years previously, they scored too fast, so their D fatally wore down, even under a roof), but all conditions and all situations. How long will that take to put together? Years. 3 years minimum, 5 years more likely.
                        Last edited by thebigfeller; September 17, 2018, 11:14 PM.

Comment

It's Gordon Ramsay's fault, TBF. He started verbally abusing folk for overcooked broccoli 20 years ago. Now the verbal abusing is the norm.
                          I like that. Time was when Ramsay or Roy Keane were freakish exceptions, hardly the norm. Then YouTube became popular, and the comments section became like an insight into what hell must look like. Then social media in general made it much worse. And then, inevitably, it escaped out into the open through thugs like Trump or Nigel Farage. And now, it's pretty much expected!

If someone questioned his behaviour, Bill Parcells would say: "Look, this is not a game for well-adjusted people!" Now, it feels like this isn't a world for well-adjusted people.

Comment

That Fuckin broccoli gave it's all and they turned it into a fourth rate side dish. Fuckin Terrible!
                            Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Originally posted by thebigfeller View Post

Indeed. And it's not just a question of this either.

Has anyone on this forum heard of the idea of 'complementary football'? I understand if some haven't, because I've been following this sport since the late 80s/early 90s, and it took me years to figure it out. Successful football teams are never just about their quarterback, their offense, or their defense. They're about how the whole thing fits together.

Like a few other teams, the Lions tried the Run and Shoot between 89 and 91. And sure, it improved the offense hugely... at the expense of the defense, which found itself worn down by being out there so damn long week after week. That's why the scheme's many critics pointed to individual games such as Lions 38, Redskins 41 (1990), Broncos 26, Oilers 24 (1991), or most famously, Bills 41 Oilers 38 (1992) as evidence that it just wouldn't work. It couldn't possibly work. It wore out defenses, was useless outdoors in the cold or wet (the '91 Falcons bigged themselves up, puffed their chests out, and collapsed in a heap in a Washington downpour), and inevitably, was a disaster in the red zone. Where teams wouldn't just fail to score - but as in the Jan '94 playoff against the Packers, would chuck a fateful, tide-turning (for both franchises, seemingly forever), 99-yard pick six. The Run and Shoot was magnificent... but it wasn't war.

Of course, the answer lay in integrating its best bits and ditching its liabilities. Most NFL teams have since then. The modern-day Spread? It's the Run and Shoot made good. Modern-day NFL offenses have incorporated its best bits, the West Coast/Ohio River Offense's best bits, Air Coryell's best bits, and Air Raid's best bits... so running the ball's practically gone out of fashion.

So too, apart from the odd exception (2013 Seahawks or 2015 Broncos), has really incredible defensive teams. What jumps out at me about all the game's all-time great defenses is none of them were part of a team with a great quarterback or great offense. The '85 Bears, '86 Giants, '00 Ravens, '02 Bucaneers, or the two teams I mentioned above, were all so defensively oriented that their offenses fed into that. Keep it simple, don't do anything dumb, let the opponents' offense beat itself. The extraordinary '91 Eagles - hands down, the best defense of all time - had no proper QB at all after Randall Cunningham was hurt in week 1, yet still almost made the playoffs regardless.

But the whole sport's moving forward so fast that the reigning Champions, as well as boasting a great defense (which today's game being what it is, still gave up over 30 points in the Super Bowl), needed either a great QB (Wentz) or someone able to do Wentz' job exactly as well (Foles). The Lions need that too. They need an entire roster built for the long term which complements one another. Including not one, but two very good QBs (watch the Patriots slide once Brady either declines or quits); including very good, hardened players who understand different schemes and aren't dependent on one coordinator or another; an entire team which isn't built just for indoor conditions (look what happened to last year's Vikings in the cold in Philadelphia; or in a different way, to the 2016 Falcons: like their forebears 25 years previously, they scored too fast, so their D fatally wore down, even under a roof), but all conditions and all situations. How long will that take to put together? Years. 3 years minimum, 5 years more likely.
                              Sir how DARE you!!!! How dare you introduce rational thought into these discussions!!!! This is the interwebs FFS! What is wrong with you?
                              Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

Hey, DWT ^^^^^^^ ........, you're a Spartans fan! High 5!
                                Nope - not a fan of college sports, why would I want to be a fan of the Spartans - I never went to MSU.

Comment

Working...
                                X