Matt Stafford is the suckiest suck to ever suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nick Pappageorgio View Post
    And I saw coach/offensive philosophy that dissected that 'bama D. I saw that kid throwing to WRs who were wide open.

I know the kid was MVP of the game......but after the game the kid said he didn't deserve that honor because the whole O was so good. I agreed with him.

I'll give you the size part and the arm and the athleticism.......but let's be honest, how many failed college QBs had that? Ryan leaf had that...Purple Drank had that in spades...Brady Quinn sure looked the part.....Chuck Long had Moxy.......Akili SMith......Tim Couch.....Senator Shuler looked like a can't miss......Rick Fuckin' Mirer......Jeff George was the closest to a sure thing I'd ever seen.....David Carr....Joey Harrington.

Every QB I just named had all of the things Lawrence has (or at least everyone thought they did.....)
    I guess the difference is in the consistency. All those guys had a game(s) where they stunk. I have yet to see Lawrence look any different then what you saw in the championship game.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Ryan Leaf - had the size but he didn't have the athleticism. He was already a head case in college. Ryan Leaf was not accurate in college, he sported a 55 percent accuracy rate. So no he didn't have the same package as a senior as Lawrence did as a freshman.

Purple Drank - I'm not sure who that is, I'm sure he was just as good as Lawrence

Chuck Long - Had a great college career, failed in the pros, he had size but he was not an athletic specimen

Akili Smith - I think you are just naming off guys, he was a juco transfer that had a 56.6 completion percentage

Tim Couch - The dude had a bad throwing motion, he had a high completion percentage in college due to the Hal Munne offense. He did have some size.

Heath Shuler - did not have the size or the athleticism with average stats on some decent Tennessee teams

Rick Mirer - Didn't have the size or athleticism and he had middling stats on some stacked ND teams

Jeff George - Jeff George was good in college, pretty talented in the NFL. He never stuck anywhere for very long as he was kind of a head case.

If you look at those QBs and you look at what Lawrence did as a true freshman it is easy to get excited. He was much better as a true freshman than any of those guys, some of those QBs were drafted 1 or 2. I'm actually not sure what Lawrence would have to do to impress you. That wasn't some bad defense he was dissecting, Alabama wasn't considered to be overmatched in the game, they were the favorites. This year's number one pick did not dissect the Bama defense in the semis until Bama was up 28 and on cruise control. I think it is safe to say the Clemson offense went next level when he replaced the returning starter Kelly Bryant who was a true proficient major program QB. They certainly don't carve up Bama with Bryant.

Maybe with your list of draft busts you are arguing that quarterbacks shouldn't be drafted high at all, I'm not sure, but as a true freshman Lawrence came in and played the whole season and was great the whole season, he has the size and arm. His freshman season was better than any true freshman season or first season of any of the guys you listed plus Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck. In a league where Daniel Jones gets drafted high, its easy to see why Lawrence is a top prospect. The way you speak of him, one gives the impression that Lawrence is a AJ McCarron-clone.

Comment

• You guys need to move this college talk to the appropriate thread.
        This is our Stafford sucks, blows thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Pappageorgio View Post
          no way.....in case you haven't heard, god makes kitten every time dimwit tells me I'm bullying him.

Bully......I wear that like a badge of honor

Maybe one day you'll change your mind and stop liking kittens.
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Lawrence did that as a true freshman. I'd trade anyone on our whole roster and every draft pick for him right now.
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
              Ryan Leaf - had the size but he didn't have the athleticism. He was already a head case in college. Ryan Leaf was not accurate in college, he sported a 55 percent accuracy rate. So no he didn't have the same package as a senior as Lawrence did as a freshman.

Purple Drank - I'm not sure who that is, I'm sure he was just as good as Lawrence

Chuck Long - Had a great college career, failed in the pros, he had size but he was not an athletic specimen

Akili Smith - I think you are just naming off guys, he was a juco transfer that had a 56.6 completion percentage

Tim Couch - The dude had a bad throwing motion, he had a high completion percentage in college due to the Hal Munne offense. He did have some size.

Heath Shuler - did not have the size or the athleticism with average stats on some decent Tennessee teams

Rick Mirer - Didn't have the size or athleticism and he had middling stats on some stacked ND teams

Jeff George - Jeff George was good in college, pretty talented in the NFL. He never stuck anywhere for very long as he was kind of a head case.

If you look at those QBs and you look at what Lawrence did as a true freshman it is easy to get excited. He was much better as a true freshman than any of those guys, some of those QBs were drafted 1 or 2. I'm actually not sure what Lawrence would have to do to impress you. That wasn't some bad defense he was dissecting, Alabama wasn't considered to be overmatched in the game, they were the favorites. This year's number one pick did not dissect the Bama defense in the semis until Bama was up 28 and on cruise control. I think it is safe to say the Clemson offense went next level when he replaced the returning starter Kelly Bryant who was a true proficient major program QB. They certainly don't carve up Bama with Bryant.

Maybe with your list of draft busts you are arguing that quarterbacks shouldn't be drafted high at all, I'm not sure, but as a true freshman Lawrence came in and played the whole season and was great the whole season, he has the size and arm. His freshman season was better than any true freshman season or first season of any of the guys you listed plus Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck. In a league where Daniel Jones gets drafted high, its easy to see why Lawrence is a top prospect. The way you speak of him, one gives the impression that Lawrence is a AJ McCarron-clone.

Comment

• Is Purple Drank the dude from LSU that the Raiders drafted before Calvin Johnson?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post
                  Is Purple Drank the dude from LSU that the Raiders drafted before Calvin Johnson?
                  Better known to me as Jabustus......

Comment

• Talk about impeccable hindsigbt, that's exactly how you are talking about Luck and Manning. How did they jump off the page as true freshman? It should show up in the stats and wins. You said all the guys you listed had the same type.of package. I showed how clearly how they didn't, none of them were 6'5 most of them weren't as athletic and some of them had mid 50s completion percentage. You are the ones making the comparisons. Most of them fall short, especially if you are comparing 1st.season stats. The burden of proof is on you, so far all you have is he doesn't jump off the page. Lawrence jumps off the page much more than Hockenson did and you hectored anyone who wasn't down with the pick.

Comment

• Last edited by Nick Pappageorgio; May 14, 2019, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• You said you watched two games of his and his receivers were wide open, were they going to be covered more with Luck or Manning? What would their stats look like against Alabama that jump out where Lawrence didn't?

It can't be understated how Manning as a choker was a thing at Tennessee. You can spell Citrus without UT was a thing during Manning's time there.

Comment

• To put it another way what jumped out about Manning's freshman year? Give a few.examples. one big difference between him and Lawrence is the coaching staff played two other guys during the year, he won the job but Manning sure didn't win the job over a returning starter. Kelly Bryant was a good qb who lost his job clearly to Lawrence, that certainly jumps out. Manning eventually won the job after the returning starter was lost for the season in camp
                          Last edited by froot loops; May 14, 2019, 09:29 PM.

Comment

• I personally can't wait until Hock puts up 38 catches for 350 yds this year and the homers rave about his "blocking."

Comment

• I'm really curious about the new OC and his offensive philosophy. From his history he's a power run guy who prefers a very mobile QB. The philosophy has a proven track record of success. The problem is talent on the field, IMO. A power run game draws more defenders into or close to the box. This means that virtually everything under 15 yards will be throws into tight windows. Matty is a gunslinger type. Throwing lasers into tight windows isn't his thing, neither is Statford being mobile. It's far too late in Mattys career to change his style or generate new skills.

The thing is that if the lions tank for a Mahommes, Russell type guy will it still be useful. Theoretically FMP has 2 maybe 3 more years in Detroit and what will be the offensive philosophy then?

At least the lions are still rebuilding. Should be rebuilding for the next couple of decades. At least we have that going for us.
                              Detroit Lions: Where futility is a lifestyle choice.

Comment

• Well, when your entire OC career you've been blessed with two bell-cows in Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch, I'd expect him to lean heavily on a power run game. Anything less would pretty much be dereliction of duty.

He doesn't have that kind of back with Kerryon, he's going to need to be more creative.

Comment

Working...
                                X