• Tim Cheveldae called, he said "Boo Hoo"
    The only logical explanation is:
    I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• Originally posted by 313LionsFan View Post

I see what you are saying but this is what I would do. The long term plan

1. Fire Bob Quinn
      2. Fire Matt Patricia
      3. Draft best young Qb available in the draft.
      4. Hire a coach who has a proven record of working with QB...Eric Bienimy.
      5. If Bienimy is coach, get a GM that would work together.
      6. Keep Stafford for 1 year. Trade or bench him during the season. If I'm the coach or gm reject any offer where I'm tied to Matt Stafford. In otherwords, it should not be mandated we have to keep Stafford.
      7. Get a defensive coach who is flexible to use some of these players. Most are shit but not all of them..
      8. Build for the future. No quick fixes

Is this not a good plan?
      If thats how the draft lines up with what are record is then I'm fine with a QB. You don't draft the next Jimmy Clausen at 8 after the top 3 go in the first 5 though. Just because you want a new QB. If I'm getting second tier qb options I'm not taking one round 1, I'd go defense or BPA and just stick with Stafford and maybe draft a QB in the second or third.

I'd also be absolutely shocked if we got Bienimy or any other top candidate. That's half the reason the lions still suck because the good choices don't want to come here.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

He is a PART of the problem in the sense that he can't run an offense that keeps up with a defense that gives up points on damn near every single drive.

And when he has to constantly play catchup, it feeds into his worst instincts. Which I guess is a problem... but it's a largely avoidable one if you had competent management that could actually build a roster above replacement level.

EVERY QB is going to have flaws. Stafford is on a team that magnifies his. I agree he needs to get the hell out of Detroit and let someone else become the team's scapegoat (A Lions' Tradition since 1963!) Problem is, I can guarantee you the Fords aren't going to let him, either by trade or FA. He'll have to retire to escape, just like every other player the Lions deemed a franchise name.

Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

Quinn should be fired just by the way Tua is playing. Our owner has no clue
          What if they didn't want a guy who is already medically flawed and went with Herbert. He's doing well but his team is letting them down the same way the Lions let their QB down. Did you purposely omit him because you can't resolve yourself to the fact football is a team game and no one player can make up for the other mediocre/trash players he is handcuffed to?

If I had to rank them:

1a Burrow
          1b Herbert
          3 Tua
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Matthew Stafford: Being away from family, team all week weighed on me

Posted by Josh Alper on November 9, 2020, 7:48 AM EST

Getty Images

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford was able to rejoin the team on Sunday after spending the week in isolation from them and his family after being exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19.

That stress of being away from his family was exacerbated when his daughter fell out of a high chair and suffered a concussion. Stafford said he considered breaking isolation and ending his chance of playing so he could be with her and the rest of his family, but opted not to when his wife found help for their other kids.

Stafford’s Sunday ended when he went for a concussion evaluation in the fourth quarter. He was cleared, but did not return to the 34-20 loss and said after the game that the stress of the week weighed on him.

“I understand it’s a pandemic and people’s health and safety are at risk, and I would feel terrible if I brought that in and infected a bunch of teammates or coaches or whatever it is,” Stafford said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “It doesn’t make it easy, but everybody in the league’s doing it. I just hate being away from my family. Finish a practice, finish a game, go hug my daughters, hug my wife, that’s what sometimes makes it worth it for me, and not being able to see them and hang with them has been really tough. But there’s other people dealing with the same kind of stuff I am. But that’s just the hard part for me.”

Stafford was 23-of-32 for 211 yards, a touchdown and two interceptions before leaving the game. He and the Lions will hope for a calmer week leading up to next Sunday’s game against Washington.

Comment

Quinn should be fired just by the way Tua is playing. Our owner has no clue
              Lol. The Dolphins see him everyday and didn't have a "real" clue either. I do agree in general that Oh Sheila and the Quintricia group are totally out of their depth.

TUA TAGOVAILOAQB, MIAMI DOLPHINS

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the first and second-round picks the Dolphins acquired from the Texans played a part in the decision to start Tua Tagovailoa.

Coach Brian Flores has already tried to deflect this storyline, but Miami has the draft capital to be flexible this spring. With the Texans headed for a bottom-five finish, it would put the Dolphins in position to draft another quarterback if they didn't believe Tagovailoa was the future. It is still highly unlikely this turns into a Cardinals situation where the Dolphins are one and done with Tua, but it is never too early to begin evaluating your first-round quarterback, especially if they entered the league with a serious hip injury on their résumé. Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence, Ohio State’s Justin Fields, and North Dakota’s Trey Lance are considered the top quarterbacks in 2021's draft class.

SOURCE: ESPN Radio
              Nov 6, 2020, 9:41 AM

Comment

• Tom Brady suffers worst career loss: “Everyone’s got to do a lot better”

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 9, 2020, 5:26 AM EST

Getty Images

The Saints destroyed the Buccaneers on Sunday Night Football, with the 38-3 final score representing the worst lost of Tom Brady‘s career. Afterward, Brady acknowledged it was ugly.

“We didn’t play well in any phase of the game,” Brady said. “Everyone’s got to do a lot better. And it starts with me.”

Brady was awful, throwing three interceptions and taking three sacks, and he didn’t get much help: The Buccaneers ran for just eight yards, the fewest of any team in any game this season. The Bucs were out of it before halftime.

The good news for Brady is that his previous worst career loss was 31-0 to the Bills in Week One of 2003. That year ended with Brady and the Patriots winning the Super Bowl.

They should try someone else. Anyone. But don't ask me. I'm not a NFL GM.

Comment

• Herbert would probably look like shit here because they'd have him throwing 5 yard out cuts out all game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

What if they didn't want a guy who is already medically flawed and went with Herbert. He's doing well but his team is letting them down the same way the Lions let their QB down. Did you purposely omit him because you can't resolve yourself to the fact football is a team game and no one player can make up for the other mediocre/trash players he is handcuffed to?

If I had to rank them:

1a Burrow
                    1b Herbert
                    3 Tua
                    If Tua takes his team to playoffs; honestly who cares about rankings. The fact the Lions passed on franchise type of QBs is worrisome. This regime has no clue of what they're doing. The minute Quinn hitched himself to Stafford, It was over. He basically backed himself into a corner.

Comment

I see what you are saying but this is what I would do. The long term plan

1. Fire Bob Quinn
                      2. Fire Matt Patricia
                      3. Draft best young Qb available in the draft.
                      4. Hire a coach who has a proven record of working with QB...Eric Bienimy.
                      5. If Bienimy is coach, get a GM that would work together.
                      6. Keep Stafford for 1 year. Trade or bench him during the season. If I'm the coach or gm reject any offer where I'm tied to Matt Stafford. In otherwords, it should not be mandated we have to keep Stafford.
                      7. Get a defensive coach who is flexible to use some of these players. Most are shit but not all of them..
                      8. Build for the future. No quick fixes

Is this not a good plan?
                      Most of this sounds good to me. As long as the Lions hire a GM first... then hire a head coach second... then draft a QB third. Has to be in this specific order.

Do all of this during the 2021 offseason.
                      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                        Matthew Stafford: Being away from family, team all week weighed on me

Posted by Josh Alper on November 9, 2020, 7:48 AM EST

Getty Images

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford was able to rejoin the team on Sunday after spending the week in isolation from them and his family after being exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19.

That stress of being away from his family was exacerbated when his daughter fell out of a high chair and suffered a concussion. Stafford said he considered breaking isolation and ending his chance of playing so he could be with her and the rest of his family, but opted not to when his wife found help for their other kids.

Stafford’s Sunday ended when he went for a concussion evaluation in the fourth quarter. He was cleared, but did not return to the 34-20 loss and said after the game that the stress of the week weighed on him.

“I understand it’s a pandemic and people’s health and safety are at risk, and I would feel terrible if I brought that in and infected a bunch of teammates or coaches or whatever it is,” Stafford said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “It doesn’t make it easy, but everybody in the league’s doing it. I just hate being away from my family. Finish a practice, finish a game, go hug my daughters, hug my wife, that’s what sometimes makes it worth it for me, and not being able to see them and hang with them has been really tough. But there’s other people dealing with the same kind of stuff I am. But that’s just the hard part for me.”

Stafford was 23-of-32 for 211 yards, a touchdown and two interceptions before leaving the game. He and the Lions will hope for a calmer week leading up to next Sunday’s game against Washington.
                        He's right, Dree Brees and Aaron Rodgers are going through the same thing yet they've been able to manage and produce. Stafford has not

Comment

• Herbert looks like a really good player. Talk about hitting the ground running. Lovely touch on his throws but can drill one too and is quick for a big guy.

Comment

• QBs do not win games.

Teams win games. National sports knows most people are too dense to figure it out. AND they see a whole sport (NBA) based on hero ball. Doesn't fly in the NFL. EVER

Comment

• IMO, there are a few elite QBs that make a significant impact on a teams success.
                              Peyton Manning in his prime for example. Peyton missed an entire season and the Colts went 2-14.
                              OR even the 2019 Detroit Lions. 3-4-1 record with Stafford playing well last season. 0-8 with backup QBs. Not that Stafford is “elite” ... he was playing really good football in 2019. Arguably the best of his career.

But correct. NFL is more team dependent in almost all cases. Whereas with basketball, 1 player is more likely to make a significant impact.
                              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                                But correct. NFL is more team dependent in almost all cases. Whereas with basketball, 1 player is more likely to make a significant impact.
                                Isaiah Thomas running up and down the court yelling "NOT IN MY HOUSE!"
                                "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                X